Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: What are your favorite bava films?
Poll Options
What are your favorite bava films?

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2011, 06:39 PM
Cultist

Love this thread. Glad to see all the love for BAVA. He has become my favorite director and there are still a few of his films I need to hunt down. I hope that more of his films become available on Blu-ray sooner than later. I originally put this in the Arrow video thread but thought it was better suited here instead. I drew this poster for Black Sunday.

I would love to do one for all of his films but free time is sparse. Hope you all like it.
Old 8th November 2011, 06:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Stunning drawing Cap Vic.
Old 8th November 2011, 06:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Absolutely fantastic drawing.
Old 12th February 2012, 12:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anyone got a spare bit of cash?
Mario Bava Black Sabbath Poster
Prince_Vajda likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th February 2012, 08:42 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Anyone got a spare bit of cash?
Mario Bava Black Sabbath Poster
I bet he had a pretty rough night before offering this...

Greetings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bava.jpg (80.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 12th February 2012, 03:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. View Post
Love this thread. Glad to see all the love for BAVA. He has become my favorite director and there are still a few of his films I need to hunt down. I hope that more of his films become available on Blu-ray sooner than later. I originally put this in the Arrow video thread but thought it was better suited here instead. I drew this poster for Black Sunday.

I would love to do one for all of his films but free time is sparse. Hope you all like it.
GREAT one, mate!
Old 15th August 2012, 09:33 PM
Cultist

I always felt that Black Sabbath and Blood and Black Lace were two of the greatest achievements in color photography.

As for sheer enjoyment though I think it's hard to beat Danger: Diabbolik!
Old 16th August 2012, 03:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

My personal favorites are:

Black Sunday
Planet Of The Vampires
Rabid Dogs
Old 16th August 2012, 11:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My favourite Bava film is, surprisingly, Five Dolls for an August Moon. I absolutely adore this tongue-in-cheek Giallo that oozes 60's mod coolness, even moreso than Danger: Diabolik IMO. Five Dolls is cheesy but wonderful. The score by Piero Umiiliani really underscores the whackiness of it all and Bava is in a playful mood, even though he's essentially just a director-for-hire here. Nevertheless, its has some fine moments of Bava greatness. I love how the bodies are piling up in the freezer and still the avarice and wheeling 'n' dealing just carries on, in spite of everyone being bumped off around them. And notice the spiral staircase in the house, every now and then Bava frames it in such a way that it looks like a huge dollar sign. Genius.

Now I know most will not agree with me, but it's my fave anyway. But for balance, my next favourite would be Bay of Blood, as I'm a huge slasher movie fan and it could be argued that this is really where it all began.
bdc, Pete, Gojirosan and 2 others like this.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:25 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
My favourite Bava film is, surprisingly, Five Dolls for an August Moon. I absolutely adore this tongue-in-cheek Giallo that oozes 60's mod coolness, even moreso than Danger: Diabolik IMO. Five Dolls is cheesy but wonderful. The score by Piero Umiiliani really underscores the whackiness of it all and Bava is in a playful mood, even though he's essentially just a director-for-hire here. Nevertheless, its has some fine moments of Bava greatness. I love how the bodies are piling up in the freezer and still the avarice and wheeling 'n' dealing just carries on, in spite of everyone being bumped off around them. And notice the spiral staircase in the house, every now and then Bava frames it in such a way that it looks like a huge dollar sign. Genius.

Now I know most will not agree with me, but it's my fave anyway. But for balance, my next favourite would be Bay of Blood, as I'm a huge slasher movie fan and it could be argued that this is really where it all began.
Bay of Blood was the source for the first Friday the 13th film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!