All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:42 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think it's on the castle label.The first release on DVD in the UK way back in '99 I believe...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 207733.1020.A.jpg (76.2 KB, 3 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I love David Lynch - my favourite film of his being Lost Highway. I've recently finished watching the complete series of Twin Peaks yet again, and I can honestly say that I never get tired of it - phenomenal stuff.

Other favourites include Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire.

Anyone managed to catch any of his daughter Jennifer's work yet? There have been mixed reviews but apparently she is trying to follow in her dad's footsteps in her film-making style. Surveillance is one I've had my eye on - anyone seen it?
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Sheraser Head?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:59 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Ah,DUNE,I forgot about that one,never managed through that one either.I've still got it though due to it's cracking artwork.
Never been a fan of Dune. I only have it via an Observer freebie DVD.
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

One of these days,I'll sit for the duration....

Old 3rd November 2009, 05:05 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Together with Emmanuelle II it's the only film I ever fell asleep to on the flicks.
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Director's Cut of Dune is better than the theatrical version, however I think it was one of those films that suffered so much in pre-production (it was delayed for years, plus was handled by a few directors - Ridley Scott was even involved at one point) that on release it fealt very cobbled together - I think Lynch salvaged what he could of the mess!
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:26 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I love David Lynch - my favourite film of his being Lost Highway. I've recently finished watching the complete series of Twin Peaks yet again, and I can honestly say that I never get tired of it - phenomenal stuff.

Other favourites include Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire.

Anyone managed to catch any of his daughter Jennifer's work yet? There have been mixed reviews but apparently she is trying to follow in her dad's footsteps in her film-making style. Surveillance is one I've had my eye on - anyone seen it?
I watched Surveillance a few months ago, great film in my opinion and a very nice twist at the end. Well worth a watch, although it was more conventional than David's stuff so don't go in expecting the weirdness of his films as it's not really there to be honest.
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:41 PM
Ex-member

I adore "Blue Velvet", "Twin Peaks" and especially "Wild at Heart".

To me these are basically non-mainstream, extreme, bizarre, dream-like, warped, crazed, off the wall genius created by an obviously unique brain (even if "Wild" is again a separate basic source}.
Great.
Surely this is enough for Lynch?
Nope...Instead, because he must have suffered the shock of some kind of success... he seems to have decided all that was surely not art after all so has spent the years since exploding those frustratingly pretentious A(rse) Bombs.

Both "Lost highway" and "Mulholland Drive" started off perfectly.
And they were once again, extreme, off the wall, wildly unusual and bizarre.
Great!

But then Lynch explodes his pretentious Arse Bomb and suddenly they become the equivalent of those hateful 'modern art' installations that get awards thrown at them by people who really only pretend to grasp (as any discussion with any group of people who thinks they all understand "Mulholland Drive" shows) what they are applauding.

For me Lynch now turns his films into one of these modern 'art' monstrosities whenever he can...
The kind of 'great' art where you stand in a white room with a microscopic black dot in the corner of one wall, a dead lizard (painted pink) lying on a chair in the middle of the floor and Mozart played backwards on the spoons being blasted out on a glass gramophone.
For that IS SURELY art?
Yes?
No...It's just bollox.
Old 3rd November 2009, 08:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSix View Post
I watched Surveillance a few months ago, great film in my opinion and a very nice twist at the end. Well worth a watch, although it was more conventional than David's stuff so don't go in expecting the weirdness of his films as it's not really there to be honest.
Cheers LineSix, I'm going to have to give it a try... one for the xmas list I think!

Like this? Share it using the links below!