Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   William Girdler 1947-1978 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/1848-william-girdler-1947-1978-a.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd November 2009 09:39 PM

William Girdler 1947-1978

7 Attachment(s)
William Girdler.Exploitation genius or b-movie hack?

IMO he made some of the most enjoyable trash ever!
This man knew how to stretch a budget!;)

Vote for your favourite and give us your opinion on the rest of his output!:clap:

Gojirosan 23rd November 2009 10:12 PM

I am very fond of Three On A Meathook...not entirely sure why I am, but I am! :lol:

Haven't seen Abby, Day Of The Animals or Grizzly for many years, but I remember enjoying them - especially Grizzly.

I'd love to catch up with some of his other films, I must say.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd November 2009 10:16 PM

I'm desperate to see ABBY.:nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th November 2009 11:39 AM

The main character on that ABBY poster looks suspiciously like Benicio Del Toro to me :laugh:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th November 2009 06:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's his mother.

I first saw 3 On A Meathook on the Exploited video label.
Loved collecting those vids.
It was cut on VHS wasn't it?

Unfortunately,it looks as though the only release is on the dreaded Blackhorse label.
When watching it,from what I remember,there was a fair amount of more explicitness than on the Exploited vid....
The Exploited artwork was ace.
Look at it compared to the DVD.......:pout:

Mansonsblood 5th December 2009 06:27 PM

I've got Abby on that awful R1 release from a few years back. A VHS tape captured on dvd. :D Its barely watchable which is a shame.

I've got Asylum of Satan somewhere and must give it a watch. For me though Girdler's best has been 'The Manitou' since I saw it at the cinema. ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th December 2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansonsblood (Post 51680)
I've got Abby on that awful R1 release from a few years back. A VHS tape captured on dvd. :D Its barely watchable which is a shame.

I hope it's not the same one I just landed....:cry:

DeadAlive 6th December 2009 09:18 AM

"The Mantou" and "3 On A Meathook" have been on my rental list for ages. Either they are very popular or Lovefilm has just the one copy of each. :(

Saw "Day Of The Animals" and "Grizzley" years ago. I don't think either could be described as quality film making, but I remember them having some fun value. Wasn't B movie genre regular Christopher George star in both films?

vincenzo 6th December 2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 51719)
"Saw "Day Of The Animals" and "Grizzley" years ago. I don't think either could be described as quality film making, but I remember them having some fun value. Wasn't B movie genre regular Christopher George star in both films?

Sure was. Richard Jaeckel appeared in both too.

Gigantor 6th December 2009 12:44 PM

Im definitely a fan of Wlliam Girdler movies,Unfortunately he really got the short end of the stick in regards to having his stuff released properly even still to this day.