Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: BEST CRONENBERG?-MULTIPLE CHOICE!
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST CRONENBERG?-MULTIPLE CHOICE!

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2022, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Canadian master of horror David Cronenberg will receive the Donostia Award, a lifetime achievement honor, at this year’s San Sebastian Film Festival.

Cronenberg will receive the award at a gala on September 21 in San Sebastian’s Victoria Eugenia Theatre, followed by the screening of his latest movie, Crimes of the Future.

The dystopian drama, which stars Viggo Mortensen, Léa Seydoux and Kristen Stewart, premiered in competition in Cannes last month, where it was an audience favorite. Critics hailed it as a return to form for Cronenberg, who is considered a pioneer of body horror and auteur sci-fi. From his earliest work, in Shivers (1975), Rabid (1977) and The Brood (1979), the Canadian director subverted B-movie horror tropes to tell disturbing tales of psychological torment Later films, including Scanners (1981), Videodrome (1983), Dead Ringers (1988), Naked Lunch (1991), and eXistenZ (1999), use the science fiction genre to provide a subversive critique of modern,
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 25th June 2022, 02:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

If I've got the time, tomorrow afternoon I'm going to watch Crimes of the Future with a couple of beers. Will share thoughts afterwards. Am hoping it's a return to the sort of material that will appeal to Cronenberg's old fan base - I think the last time for that was Existenz?
Old 26th June 2022, 03:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched the new Cronenberg film. It reminded me of Spider in the sense that I respected it and was glad to have seen it but I don't want to buy a permanent physical copy. I must confess to just being a casual David Cronenberg fan, I only own nine films (Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, Scanners, Videodrome, The Dead Zone, The Fly, Naked Lunch and Existenz). Hardcore Cronenberg fans will very probably love this new film. It is possible that I could change my mind about it in the future, it honestly took me a while to come around to Naked Lunch. But for now, I won't be picking up a physical copy. I do recommend that folks check it out for themselves though. btw Howard Shore soundtrack is excellent.
Old 26th June 2022, 04:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just a quick additional Crimes of the Future post. I'm still processing and thinking about it despite watching well over two hours ago. Which is surely not a bad thing. It is not a forgettable movie. Like I said, I may well change my mind about it in the future.

Like this? Share it using the links below!