Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: BEST CRONENBERG?-MULTIPLE CHOICE!
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST CRONENBERG?-MULTIPLE CHOICE!

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2014, 02:59 PM
Cult Addict

Maybe James Wood is a bit OTT, but if you was paranoid and having visions of Tv's swallowing your head, i'd like to see you stay calm. Fits perfectly with a hallucinogenic headf*ck. Just ask all those LSD bad trippers.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 29th October 2014, 10:17 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,I doubt any performance less than OTT in the ****ed up world of Brian Oblivion (Does anyone else do names like Cronenberg?) would seem rather strange!
nosferatu42 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th March 2015, 12:59 AM
Cult Rookie

Love Cronenberg. I think The Fly is one of the most heartbreaking films ever made (horror and non-horror), and I adore his earlier stuff like Rabid and Shivers.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

- Edgar Allan Poe
Old 12th March 2015, 09:20 AM
Cult Addict

Videodrome for me, though it's a tough call. Shivers, Rabid, The Brood and Scanners are all sublime movies that have their own special place in the body horror lexicon. When Cronenberg is good, he's one of the very best.

DVD and BD collection
Old 12th March 2015, 06:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

What do you all think of his move into 'the mainstream'?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th March 2015, 06:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
I was a little sceptical at first... I am not really a fan of A History of Violence and Eastern Promises at all, so had pretty much written off his directing in the new millennium and was resigned to embracing his body horror works as the only highlight of his career. However, that sort of changed with Cosmopolis, which whilst a little rough around the edges felt more like the Cronenberg of old... albeit hidden a little. What little I've heard about Maps to the Stars has me actually excited for a new Cronenberg film again; something I haven't felt in a long while.
Old 12th March 2015, 06:58 PM
Cult Addict

Depends what you consider to be the beginning of his 'mainstream' career. Besides The Fly (which was just a typical Cronenberg horror with a larger budget), for me, it was Naked Lunch that was the most widely acknowledged of his films up to that point but I guess their are many people on board here who can verify the fan reaction much more than I. Personally, I love Naked Lunch but it's far more artsy fartsy (which I like, I might add) than his previous body horror movies.

A History of Violence is adapted from one of my favorite graphic novels, so even though it might not be Cronenbergs best film it works as a solid adaptation that I don't cringe about when discussing the source material.

Crash never really did anything for me despite being visually stylish and cut. But damned if I can actually remember anything about it besides that. And Cosmopolis was just kind of.....meh.

DVD and BD collection
Old 12th March 2015, 07:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Like Hawk i'm not sure where his mainstream career began. eXistenZ (1999) perhaps? It's actually a film i have little love for if i'm honest.

His follow up Spider (2002) starring Ralph Fiennes is excellent. A disturbing tale of extreme schizophrenia.

A History of Violence (2005) and Eastern Promises (2007) are both great little thrillers, allowing his go-to actor of choice, Viggo Mortensen, a respite from running around with Hobbits.

His standout film for me of the last ten years was A Dangerous Method (2011). A superbly acted period piece about the birth of psychoanalysis. Mortensen (again) and Michael Fassbender are both delightful as Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung. Keira Knightly gives a career best (In my opinion) performance as Sabina Spielrein. A hospitalized patient who the doctors come into conflict over both personally and medically.

I haven't seen Cosmopolis yet.
antmumford and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 13th March 2015, 07:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I think the most "recent" Cronenberg film I've seen is Crash, which prompted the bloke in Blockbusters to make a judgemental comment to me when I rented it!
When did that come out, 1995-6?
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th March 2015, 08:46 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know if I would call any Cronenberg mainstream, but certainly some of his recent films have been less controversial and better known than his earlier ones. Crash was despised by the BBFC, but curiously James Ferman was a big fan, but I'm guessing Reaper is referring to the 21st-century films with household name actors such as Viggo Mortenson, Julianne Moore, Keira Knightley, Robert Pattinson, Paul Giamatti, Samantha Morton, Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender and John Cusack.

If so, I have liked A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, A Dangerous Method, Cosmopolis and Maps to the Stars almost as much as Videodrome, The Fly and The Brood, marvelling at the way he is able to induce incredible performances from great actors and make incredibly powerful, disturbing and thought-provoking films so many decades after he stunned the Canadian Film Development Corporation with the taxpayer-funded Shivers.

David Cronenberg is probably my favourite director, with the only film of his I don't own being M Butterfly. Because I have incredibly high standards to his films, I would be one of the first to be disappointed and it's a testament to the quality of his recent films that I haven't watched one and felt let down.

Like this? Share it using the links below!