Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   The Films of Werner Herzog (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/3104-films-werner-herzog.html)

zoomer1971 23rd June 2010 09:22 PM

The Films of Werner Herzog

While I have been consciously avoiding Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (and the increasingly bizarre comments by Herzog and Abel Ferrara), I caught Rescue Dawn on the iPlayer last night and it has inspired me to go back and revisit some old Herzog classics.

What an amazing filmmaker he can be. I'm just looking at my box sets thinking, "where do I start?" I mean Fitzcarraldo, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Cobra Verde, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Heart of Glass?

So what Herzog films do you like? What makes him a unique filmmaker? Or, why can't you stand him? All opinions welcome...

buggenhagen 24th June 2010 07:55 AM

I don't understand why you've been avoiding Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans. It's a fantastic film - I've seen it three times already and everyone I've taken with me to see it, and everyone who I've recommended go see it, has loved it too. Have faith in Herzog - it's every bit as bizarre, quirky and engaging as any of his films and is beautifully shot and crafted. If anything it's a little too long but that's not a major problem. The last time I saw it was in a packed Friday night showing at Cineworld in Glasgow - who'd have thought Herzog would be selling out mainstream cinemas in the UK in 2010?

The man is a genius. My Herzog favourites would have to be Aguirre, Fitzcaraldo, The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser and the mighty documentary My Best Fiend. I'm also a big fan of Grizzly Man and Rescue Dawn too.

Nearly got to work with him while he was over shooting Incident At Loch Ness but was on another job - bugger! One of the camera assistants I know went to work on it and said he's every bit as eccentric as you'd expect. A true legend!

Gojirosan 24th June 2010 08:53 AM

One of the very greatest living film-makers. A first class documentarian and visionary feature maker.

Few are close to him.

zoomer1971 24th June 2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggenhagen
I don't understand why you've been avoiding Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans. It's a fantastic film - I've seen it three times already and everyone I've taken with me to see it, and everyone who I've recommended go see it, has loved it too. Have faith in Herzog - it's every bit as bizarre, quirky and engaging as any of his films and is beautifully shot and crafted. If anything it's a little too long but that's not a major problem. The last time I saw it was in a packed Friday night showing at Cineworld in Glasgow - who'd have thought Herzog would be selling out mainstream cinemas in the UK in 2010?

I'll certainly get around to watching it at some point. I think I just got a bit fed up with all the sniping between Herzog and Ferrara. Ferrara's comments about remakes were pretty offensive (so what was Body Snatchers then?), and Herzog claiming he didn't know who he was seemed a bit disingenuous.

pedromonkey 24th June 2010 03:53 PM

i think its a testament to his talent that not only can he make astounding narrative fictional movies, he is also a fantastic documentary maker which not alot of filmmakers succeed with this transition, look at michael moore for instance, first and foremost a documentry maker, his only narrative film has been Canadian Bacon and if i remember rightly it kinda flopped.

I think Herzog is the sort of geek kid at school, he's the outsider and has an unbelievable talent that only a certain group of people know about. Give this man an honorary Oscar

buggenhagen 24th June 2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomer1971 (Post 88537)
I'll certainly get around to watching it at some point. I think I just got a bit fed up with all the sniping between Herzog and Ferrara. Ferrara's comments about remakes were pretty offensive (so what was Body Snatchers then?), and Herzog claiming he didn't know who he was seemed a bit disingenuous.

You should try and see it at the cinema if it's still on where you are!

I know what you mean though - that whole thing between Herzog and Ferrara was bizarre. Didn't Herzog later comment that it was all blown up a bit and apologise? I think he said that he was sure that if they both sat down with a bottle of whisky then it would resolve itself! Now that's a scene I'd like to watch.

Upon watching Herzog's version it's clear that it is certainly not a remake - it's a completely different film which happens to have a vaguely similar central character (in that he's a drink and drug addled cop). The similarities end there really.

And here, here Pedromonkey - I agree, the man is a genius.

LineSix 10th July 2010 04:51 PM

Well, the Bad Lieutenant title was just tagged on by the studio because they want/wanted to try and make a franchise out of it, because (apparently) Ferrara sold the Bad Lieutenant rights years ago. He's not got anything to complain about really if he decided to sell the rights to the film.

The Herzog Bad Lieutenant is a superb film, not as good as the original and although Cage's performance is great it doesn't reach Keitel's. But yeah, definitely worth a watch as they are essentially completely different films, just with a similar main character.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th July 2010 09:22 PM

I've just finished watching Herzog's The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser.

Very poetic and beautifully shot, it is a film that demands patience as it incorporates long silences, and a narrative thin slow-moving plot. Extremely rewarding viewing, though. :nod:

napalm-in-the-morning 29th November 2011 10:43 AM

Aguirre, the Wrath of God is fantastic. Upon a recent re-watching I realised just how much of Ridley Scott's 1492 was clearly inspired by it. Rain, rusting armour, snakes, etc. The whole tone of desperation. Aguirre, the Wrath of God is in dire need of a Blu release or a remaster at the very least!

oaxaca 29th November 2011 11:20 AM

Herzogs remake of Nosferatu really is one of the finest horror films I've ever seen.