Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   The Psychedelic World of Alejandro Jodorowsky (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/3112-psychedelic-world-alejandro-jodorowsky.html)

Sam@Cult Labs 25th June 2010 10:54 AM

The Psychedelic World of Alejandro Jodorowsky

4 Attachment(s)
Alongside Pasolini, Argento and, oddly, Larry Cohen, Alejandro Jodorowsky is in my personal top ten directors. Here's why...

Gojirosan 25th June 2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs (Post 88733)
oddly, Larry Cohen

Nothing odd about that.

And, yes, Jodorowsky is wonderful. Far more tongue in cheek than I think people give him credit for being. The world would be a sorrier place without him!

BioZombie 25th June 2010 11:11 AM

I've not seen any of Alejandro Jodorowsky films, but after watching those trailers I really, really, really want to.

Thanks for the reccomendations Sam

Sam@Cult Labs 25th June 2010 12:38 PM

I'm a Jodorovangelist!

I used to review movies every Friday on the BBC Asian Network and I was given The Fountain to review, a fairly recent meta-physical movie. It scored a fat Zero from me, partly because it was dull, lifeless and lacking an emotional kick, but also because I'd rewatched The Holy Mountain in the previous week and no one does 'The Big Question' like Jodorowsky.

The scope of the Holy Mountain is huge and the originality of vision, the beauty of the sets and the constantly awe inspiring set pieces make this a must see.

Watch it sober though, it's a head spinner.

Make Them Die Slowly 26th June 2010 07:24 PM

I am a fan of Jodorowsky and managed to see "Santa Sangre" on it's cinema release. The only down side to his work is that his spiritual vision is very much his own thus rendering the layers of symbolism in his work fairly meaningless to the viewer. Still, there is a lot of fun to be had trying to figure out just what the hell he is talking about.

Anyone read any of his comics or books on spirituality?

zoomer1971 6th July 2010 06:06 PM

The Psychedelic World of Alejandro Jodorowsky

Santa Sangre is amazing, and the old ABUK disc has some great extras if you can track it down.

Love El Topo too but have never got around to watching The Holy Mountain. Didn't Tartan put out a box set at one point?

Make Them Die Slowly 6th July 2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomer1971 (Post 90652)
Santa Sangre is amazing, and the old ABUK disc has some great extras if you can track it down.

The extras on this release are excellent and are a good introduction into the spiritual workings behind Jodorowsky's vision. Armed with this disc and a vast collection of esoteric books, it's possible to scratch the surface of what the hell is going on in "El Topo" and "The Holy Mountain".

Pete 10th July 2010 02:45 PM

I LOVE VIOLENCE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MUOyZI-pKo

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th July 2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 88738)
I've not seen any of Alejandro Jodorowsky films, but after watching those trailers I really, really, really want to.

Thanks for the reccomendations Sam

I'd totally agree there. Think I need to check these films out, especially THE HOLY MOUNTAIN.

dustdevil 18th July 2010 03:16 PM

Never liked Holy Mountain just could not get into it,sold the dvd soon after watching it - Biffy Clyro video mountains is obviously inspired by it though.

El Topo - only seen this once ages ago on BBC 2 I think,I liked it but again hard to get into it

Santa Sangra - absolutely loved,bizarre plot and visually stunning,I have the 2 disc mentioned earlier.

Not seen the other one.

Personally I'd say start with Santa Sangra as its the easiest to get into then if you like it try the others.