Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   'Andy Warhol's Horror Pictures. (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/3142-andy-warhols-horror-pictures.html)

Sam@Cult Labs 27th June 2010 11:14 AM

'Andy Warhol's Horror Pictures.

2 Attachment(s)
I couldn't let a Cult film forums new art section go without Warhol's contributions to the horror genre. Warhol's name is there to sell the product so this is the Modern Art version of a 'Wes Craven Presents...' movie, but these are great examples of art, liberal 70s cinematic values and horror cliches bedding down together.

These are also probably the most watchable of the movies with Warhol's name attached. Paul Morrissey is the director of most of Warhol's post-assassination attempt movies, including the trannies, junkies and street hustlers trilogy of Flesh, Heat and Trash and all are certainly much more entertaining than a 24 hour film of the Empire State Building, one of the artists earlier 'features'.

docvoltage 18th December 2010 03:35 AM

Directorial credit

Then there's all the hullabaloo about what "Anthony Dawson" contributed...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th December 2010 06:34 AM

Fantastic cheesy films both of them.:nod:
I prefer Frankenstein over Drac though....:nod:

Mojo 23rd December 2010 07:16 PM

These would make excellent Blu ray releases :nod:

Gojirosan 28th December 2010 10:49 AM

I was not fond of these films back in the "Video Nasty" days, but I was probably too young to appreciate the humour and wit therein. Now I love them. I was over the moon when Channel Four screened Flesh For Frankenstein in 3D last year.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th December 2010 11:13 AM

Yeah,they would be prime candidates for Blu Ray.

Tartan were the last to release them in the UK.

Same Tartan that released Battle Royale-hint hint Arrow!:tongue1:

The films are hugely enjoyable and you're Goj-the older you get,the more you appreciate these types of films.:nod:

Vampix 17th January 2011 12:26 PM

I always meant to pick up the Tartan DVDs of Warhol's Frankenstein & Dracula, but never got round to it.If Arrow were to release them I'd snap them up. :nod:

wongfeihung62 17th January 2011 08:03 PM

I saw Flesh for frankenstein, years ago at the NFt as part of their 3-D season, very enjoyable and the 3-D holds up very well. This is crying out for a BD in 3-D.

Peter Neal 19th January 2011 08:42 PM

Apart from the beautiful score, there isn't much I enjoyed in "Blood for Dracula", which I find myself struggling through whenever I attempt to watch it- which is very rarely.:tongue1:
But "Flesh for Frankenstein" I like quite a bit- not (only:p) because it's the far gorier of the two but also because of Udo Kier's great German accent :coolblue: and the creepy children:eek:.
The Tartan DVDs serve me well enough, but I'd be tempted to pick up "Frankenstein" again IF it featured a "3D" option.:popcorn:

slaghammer 22nd January 2011 12:58 PM

ZEE BLOOD OFF ZEESE WHORES EEES KEEELING ME!

classic films, need to pick up DVD copies, my VHS versions are shot to buggery!