Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2010, 07:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I've never got bored with The Fog either. I have the Blu-Ray for watching on a suitably spooky Autumn night. I didn't get the remake of The Fog. Clark Kent was in it but he never used any of his super-powers. Maybe he was pissed that he wasn't able to wear the costume.
Hi, How good is the Blue-Ray print of The Fog, in comparison to the two-disc standard edition then? Is there a big difference in quality on this film? I've yet to collect any of the John Carpenter classics on Blue-Ray. That scene where that old lady gets brutalised on the doorstep. That was a quality horror movie moment that. dark.

Last edited by Mahoney32; 6th October 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Dean Cundey's panoramic photography is jawdropping on BD mate!

Especially the coastal and 'Downstairs to the lighthouse' scenes.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:40 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Is it the UK Optimum BD you've got, Reaps? I'll pick it up if you recommend it - I nearly avoided the UK release of Evil Dead 2 until you gave me the heads up - and I was pleasantly surprised at just how good it was on BD.

Top 3 Tom Atkins performances would be...

1: Halloween 3
2: Night of the Creeps
3: My Bloody Valentine (remake)
Old 7th October 2010, 11:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

He was also a police lieutenant in the excellent true life tv film DEATH IN CANAAN (1978) which was screened on True Movies on Sunday morning.Not exactly a baddie,but he was determined to put away a young man for the brutal death of his mother,despite overwhelming evidence that he was innocent.Like Robert Forster & Frederic Forrest Atkins deserved a bigger career than he's had on the big screen.His performance in The Fog remains one of my favourites as does the film since I saw it's first screening on BBC tv in December 1983.
Old 7th October 2010, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
He was also a police lieutenant in the excellent true life tv film DEATH IN CANAAN (1978) which was screened on True Movies on Sunday morning.Not exactly a baddie,but he was determined to put away a young man for the brutal death of his mother,despite overwhelming evidence that he was innocent.Like Robert Forster & Frederic Forrest Atkins deserved a bigger career than he's had on the big screen.His performance in The Fog remains one of my favourites as does the film since I saw it's first screening on BBC tv in December 1983.
I'll have a look out for this film on True Movies in the future, never seen that one. Don't watch this channel very often, but will keep an eye out for this Atkins film you mention. Cheers. I agree with you, Tom Atkins should be a much bigger star by now...
Old 7th October 2010, 06:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm also a bit baffled as to why Atkins hasn't achieved greater stardom. He's a gifted actor and perfectly at home with whatever material he's in. Very natural and always a joy to watch.
Old 8th October 2010, 12:15 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'm also a bit baffled as to why Atkins hasn't achieved greater stardom. He's a gifted actor and perfectly at home with whatever material he's in. Very natural and always a joy to watch.
You could say the same about a lot actors really, if you think about it a little. Michael Moriaty is another one, star of Q, The Stuff, It's Alive 3, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Return to Salems Lot, etc. Some of these really good actors just don't seem to break away from B-Movies, and become bigger stars. On the other hand, a lot of actors have broken away from B-movies, and became A-list stars. For example, Jamie Lee Curtis and Christopher Lee. But, if a particular actor is very talented, then He or She will have a good strong, cult following regardless. People know a quality actor when they see one.
Old 4th March 2011, 08:57 PM
Cult Rookie

I interviewed Fred Dekker for the last IS IT UNCUT magazine during his stay in Scotland for the Dead By Dawn Festival where we enjoyed a midnight screening of NIGHT OF THE CREEPS - this was before the long awaited splendid R1 disc release.

Fred said he'd love to do a NIGHT OF THE CREEPS sequel but would want our Tom in it (which kind of compromises the director's cut with the alternative ending!).

Tristan
Old 5th March 2011, 05:43 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tris thompson View Post
I interviewed Fred Dekker for the last IS IT UNCUT magazine during his stay in Scotland for the Dead By Dawn Festival where we enjoyed a midnight screening of NIGHT OF THE CREEPS - this was before the long awaited splendid R1 disc release.

Fred said he'd love to do a NIGHT OF THE CREEPS sequel but would want our Tom in it (which kind of compromises the director's cut with the alternative ending!).

Tristan
Dekker (I think) mentioned this on the NOTC commentary. Didn't he say something like Atkins could be his brother in a sequel? I'm not sure, I may have dreamt that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th March 2011, 01:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

The three roles Tom Atkins must be most remembered for amongst horror fans surely has to be: The Fog, Halloween III and Night of the Creeps.They are the ones I most remember him for anyway.A much underrated actor who deserves more than the cult horror following he has, although I'm sure he appreciates this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!