Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2017, 05:27 PM
Cult Master

Reservoir Dogs: why being banned in the UK was a shot in the arm for Quentin Tarantino

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'll never understood the BBFC decision to initially allow theatrical release only for Reservoir Dogs. The film isn't dangerous or highly offensive by any stretch of the imagination. Weird BBFC verdict.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd January 2017, 06:11 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I'll never understood the BBFC decision to initially allow theatrical release only for Reservoir Dogs. The film isn't dangerous or highly offensive by any stretch of the imagination. Weird BBFC verdict.
From what I gathered at the time, 'Reservoir Dogs' ran into trouble because it depicted a member of the police force being attacked during the torture scene

The film was released in October 1992, and in April/May of the same year, American had seen the Los Angeles riots (aka the Rodney King riots), so presumably the world was politically sensitive to any kind of violence against the police
keirarts likes this.

Old 22nd January 2017, 08:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
It got caught up in the whole Child's Play 3 fiasco and the subsequent changes to the criminal justice act. Nothing to do with the BBFC.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:15 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
It got caught up in the whole Child's Play 3 fiasco and the subsequent changes to the criminal justice act. Nothing to do with the BBFC.
James Bulger was killed in February 1993

'Reservoir Dogs' had run into trouble when it was released to the cinema four months prior to this
keirarts likes this.

Old 22nd January 2017, 10:38 AM
Seasoned Cultist

It had a normal theatrical release with no cuts, its home video release was delayed for a couple of years because of amendments to the criminal justice act which were in place after Child's Play 3 was linked to the murder of James Bulger.

It initially went in front of the BBFC in 1992 and was certificated with no cuts, the normal Daily Mail lot went typically ape but it's theatrical release went smoothly. It then went in front of the BBFC for home release in 1993, it's subsequent release was delayed until May 1995 because of said act.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:41 AM
Cult Master

The cinema release was NOT played in either Portsmouth or Southampton

There was great excitement when we got it at the only cinema in Gosport - I know, I was working at that cinema at the time
keirarts likes this.

Old 22nd January 2017, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

It played in both Liverpool and Bristol. I saw it in both cities, the former when I went home for a few days, the latter when I was working at the Bristol Watershed.

It also performed well in the UK, better than in the states. It took over £6.5m here in contrast to $2.8m in the states.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 10:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
QT is a mainstream director, But he does direct movies that pay strong homage to cult movies (exploitation style movies especially) so I think there's a certain group of fans (for instance anyone on this thread) who appreciates his work for that aspect and then theirs the more mainstream fans who don't really know cult movies or understand that QT is producing modern hollywood versions of exploitation films so I think in a way he is a cult director but at the same time he is mainstream.
Jesus my spelling 7 years ago was atrocious! I might have been drunk.
Old 4th February 2018, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quentin Tarantino criticised by Asia Argento, Jessica Chastain after Uma Thurman details alleged treatment on Kill Bill set | The Independent

Quentin Tarantino criticised by Asia Argento, Jessica Chastain after Uma Thurman details alleged treatment on Kill Bill set
Thurman claims the director persuaded her to partake in a dangerous stunt

Hollywood persons have reacted vehemently to an interview with Uma Thurman, in which the actor alleges Harvey Weinstein assaulted her and Quentin Tarantino persuaded her to partake in a dangerous stunt that led to hospitalisation.

Those to have spoken out against Tarantino include Asia Argento, Jessica Chastain, and Judd Apatow, all of whom criticised the director’s alleged behaviour.

“Weinstein and Tarantino, what a pair!” Argento wrote on Twitter. “A serial rapist and a near murderer. It’s no ****ing joke what these abhorrent criminals did to Uma Thurman, before and after Kill Bill. They put her life, her dignity, her sanity in danger. Burn in hell you sick ****s.”

Chastain wrote: “I keep imagining Tarantino spitting in Uma's face and strangling her with a chain for Kill Bill. How many images of women in media do we celebrate that showcase abuse? When did this become normalised ‘entertainment’?"

In an interview with The New York Times, Thurman details an incident from the set of Kill Bill. According to the actor, she was warned about a stunt requiring her to drive a car, being told by the film’s team the vehicle was dangerous.

After allegedly telling Tarantino she feared driving the car, the director persuaded her to partake in the stunt. Footage has since surfaced of Thurman driving the car — which she describes as a “death-box” — and crashing into a tree, an incident that led to her being hospitalised and returning to set in a neck brace.

ROMAN POLANSKI WILL 'PLAY KEY ROLE' IN QUENTIN TARANTINO'S NEXT FILM
Thurman also alleges that Tarantino spat on her face during a scene and strangled her with a chain for another, all for the cinematic effect the director wanted.

“Harvey assaulted me but that didn’t kill me,” she told the publication. “What really got me about the crash was that it was a cheap shot. I had been through so many rings of fire by that point. I had really always felt a connection to the greater good in my work with Quentin and most of what I allowed to happen to me and what I participated in was kind of like a horrible mud wrestle with a very angry brother. But at least I had some say, you know?”

Weinstein has since issued a statement on the allegations, denying any physical attack on Thurman, the producer’s lawyer even considering legal action.

Like this? Share it using the links below!