Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2019, 08:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
According to other articles I’ve seen (but not read), he’s open to the idea of directing a horror film as is next film
He's done crime, Western, and war films. He is not as eclectic or has such a range as Stanley Kubrick, Ang Lee, Steven Spielberg, Fritz Lang or the Coen brothers, but then he's only made nine movies.

I'd like to see a Tarantino-directed horror movie. Hopefully (and I don't mean this with any disrespect to Eli Roth) it would not be mistaken for an Eli Roth-directed horror movie. It's hard to see how he could make a better modern zombie movie that Dawn of the Dead remake, or a better vampire film than Let the Right One in. A haunted house or mummy film would be interesting as they would be better than 13 Ghosts or the Stephen Sommers films.
iank likes this.
Old 9th August 2019, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

He’s my favourite director so I’d be up for anything he did (apart from Star Trek)
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th August 2019, 09:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
He's done crime, Western, and war films. He is not as eclectic or has such a range as Stanley Kubrick, Ang Lee, Steven Spielberg, Fritz Lang or the Coen brothers, but then he's only made nine movies.

I'd like to see a Tarantino-directed horror movie. Hopefully (and I don't mean this with any disrespect to Eli Roth) it would not be mistaken for an Eli Roth-directed horror movie. It's hard to see how he could make a better modern zombie movie that Dawn of the Dead remake, or a better vampire film than Let the Right One in. A haunted house or mummy film would be interesting as they would be better than 13 Ghosts or the Stephen Sommers films.

Doesn't Grindhouse count as a horror movie. What about From Dusk till Dawn? That's practically his film.
Old 10th August 2019, 10:01 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Doesn't Grindhouse count as a horror movie. What about From Dusk till Dawn? That's practically his film.
I was thinking that this would be his 10th film, so was only including the films where he is a/the credited director, so didn't include From Dusk till Dawn because it was directed by Robert Rodriguez.

When I was writing that message, my thought process was that Death Proof was a thriller, but it probably strays into horror territory. I think I've only seen it once and was really disappointed by it – it's something I should reappraise.
Old 10th August 2019, 10:05 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I was thinking that this would be his 10th film, so was only including the films where he is a/the credited director, so didn't include From Dusk till Dawn because it was directed by Robert Rodriguez.

When I was writing that message, my thought process was that Death Proof was a thriller, but it probably strays into horror territory. I think I've only seen it once and was really disappointed by it – it's something I should reappraise.
Yeah i knew what you meant but From Dusk has Tarantino stamped all over it given that he stars in it plus he wrote it as well.

Should he wish to direct a horror film on the lines of From Dusk then he's more than welcome in my opinion.
Nosferatu@Cult Labs and Rik like this.
Old 10th August 2019, 11:05 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah i knew what you meant but From Dusk has Tarantino stamped all over it given that he stars in it plus he wrote it as well.

Should he wish to direct a horror film on the lines of From Dusk then he's more than welcome in my opinion.
Natural Born Killers and True Romance feel very much like Tarantino films as well, rather than Oliver Stone or Tony Scott films, but I would not include them in a discussion of films that Tarantino has directed.

If he directed a 'Once Upon a Time in Transylvania' Dracula film, like the opening sequence in Bram Stoker's Dracula but much more in-depth, that would be worth watching.
Old 17th August 2019, 05:49 AM
Cult Master

"The Endless Appeal of the Tarantinoesque": An overview of his work from 'Reservoir Dogs' to 'The Hateful Eight' at The Digital Fix

"Part of what draws me, and many others, to his work is his obvious love for cinema itself – an infectious passion that he wants to share with all of his viewers. Whether it’s by referencing another film with a piece of dialogue (Reservoir Dogs’ re-working of the line “You slap me in a dream…” from Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)), or a costume (Uma Thurman’s yellow outfit in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003) which alludes to Bruce Lee’s in Game of Death (1978)), or even the overall characteristics of a piece (the Spaghetti Western look of Django Unchained (2012)), Tarantino enjoys mixing ideas and techniques from other works with his own imaginative stories, creating his own compelling cinematic worlds in the process. The end result is an engaging, postmodern filmmaking method that rewards those who recognise his many references, while hoping it encourages others to look further into the ones they don’t get.

Although, this sometimes lumbers him with the label of ‘stealing’ (a ridiculous concept as most filmmakers use homages – just look at the French New Wave influences of Martin Scorsese), what is fascinating is how often his references become something entirely different from the works they are originally used in, Tarantino looking at them from new, interesting angles in order to mess with our expectations. Indeed, he does this so much, and so well, that a new cinematic language has emerged throughout all of his films; a Tarantinoesque vocabulary that is unmistakeably his, even when he does include nods to other people’s works. With the use of certain elements that turn up time and time again in his films, we always know we’re in Tarantino Land, often before the title credits have finished rolling."

Part 1
Part 2

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th August 2019, 10:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Natural Born Killers and True Romance feel very much like Tarantino films as well, rather than Oliver Stone or Tony Scott films, but I would not include them in a discussion of films that Tarantino has directed.

If he directed a 'Once Upon a Time in Transylvania' Dracula film, like the opening sequence in Bram Stoker's Dracula but much more in-depth, that would be worth watching.

He wrote True romance and helped writing Natural born killers, and was suppose to direct it but fell out with oliver stone so refuse to direct it, not 100 % sure why without googling it .
Old 18th August 2019, 12:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
He wrote True romance and helped writing Natural born killers, and was suppose to direct it but fell out with oliver stone so refuse to direct it, not 100 % sure why without googling it .
From Wikipedia:

"Natural Born Killers was based upon a screenplay written by Quentin Tarantino, in which a married couple suddenly decide to go on a killing spree. Tarantino had sold an option for his script to producers Jane Hamsher and Don Murphy for $10,000 after he had tried, and failed, to direct it himself for $500,000.[4] Hamsher and Murphy subsequently sold the screenplay to Warner Bros. Around the same time, Oliver Stone was made aware of the script. He was keen to find something more straightforward than his previous production, Heaven & Earth; a difficult shoot which had left him exhausted, and he felt that Natural Born Killers could be what he was looking for.

David Veloz, associate producer Richard Rutowski, and Stone rewrote the script, keeping much of the dialogue but changing the focus of the film from journalist Wayne Gale to Mickey and Mallory. The script was changed so much that as per WGA rules, Tarantino was credited for the film's story only. In a 1993 interview, Tarantino stated that he did not hold any animosity towards Stone, and that he wished the film well."

– – – – – – –

After Quentin Tarantino attempted to publish his original screenplay to Natural Born Killers as a paperback book, as he had done with his scripts for True Romance and his own directorial efforts, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, the producers of Natural Born Killers filed a lawsuit against Tarantino, claiming that when he sold the script to them, he had forfeited the publishing rights; eventually, Tarantino was allowed to publish his original script.

Tarantino disowned the film, saying, "I hated that ****ing movie. If you like my stuff, don't watch that movie."
Old 18th August 2019, 04:43 PM
Cult Master

Apparently 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' has been censored for language in India

Strangely enough, it wasn't the 200+ times that the word 'f*ck' was uttered that caused concern, but the three times that someone said the word 'ass' which have been beeped out!

Hindustan Times

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!