Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2020, 05:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You mention Margot Robbie. I highly recommend the brilliant I' Tonya. She's terrific in a very black comedy.

I intended to buy the Tarantino film today until i read what you and Reaper had to say about it this morning.

Picked up Dragged Across Concrete instead.

I Tonya is brilliant, eh? Such a great film.

I’ve not yet gotten round to seeing Dragged - let me know what you think
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th January 2020, 05:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
I Tonya is brilliant, eh? Such a great film.

I’ve not yet gotten round to seeing Dragged - let me know what you think
Thought i might give it a go tomorrow night. Quite looking forward to it.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 23rd January 2020, 04:47 PM
Cult Master

Quentin Tarantino's next project will be a TV series based on Bounty Law from his Oscar-nominated epic, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood | Consequence of Sound

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
You mention Margot Robbie. I highly recommend the brilliant I' Tonya. She's terrific in a very black comedy.

Picked up Dragged Across Concrete instead.
Shame. Dragged across concrete is Rubbish.
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Shame. Dragged across concrete is Rubbish.
It has a decent Letterboxd score of 3.7. So hopefully it's just you that thinks so and not myself.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th January 2020, 06:06 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
It has a decent Letterboxd score of 3.7. So hopefully it's just you that thinks so and not myself.
I seem to be in the minority. I'm not going to criticise it for being self indulgent. I don't think thats a bad thing necessarily with films. When somethings the product of an individual artist then its going to be a singular vision that's probably self indulgent to a degree. Dragged across concrete is hugely self indulgent. Again not a bad thing. I won't criticise it for being over long. I like heat and I liked once upon a time in Hollywood so again. Not a bad thing. My problem with dregged across concrete (spelling error left as its appropriate) is that ultimately nothing in it is especially interesting or engaging. Given that it stars Mel Gibson who whatever you think about him is a genuinely engaging screen presence, its genuinely strange how underwhelming everything in the film is. The main difference between it and the other films I mention here is that I actually found myself engaged with what was going on on screen. It felt like people were praising Dregged because Bone Tomohawk and Brawl in cell block 99 were both solid, well produced films so the director surely cannot do no wrong.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th February 2020, 11:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I didn’t like it either,it was quite depressing......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th February 2020, 11:30 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I repurchased ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.
Now that I’ve calmed down a bit over the ending I’m going to give it another viewing.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st April 2020, 06:46 AM
Cult Master

Tarantino Misjudged Viewers’ ‘Grindhouse’ Interest: ‘It Meant Nothing to Them’ | Indiewire

""They had no idea what the f*ck they were watching," Tarantino says about his 2007 double feature with Robert Rodriguez.

One of the biggest gambles in Quentin Tarantino’s career was “Grindhouse,” his 2007 double feature movie with Robert Rodriguez. The release included films helmed by each director (Tarantino’s “Death Proof” and Rodriguez’s “Planet Terror”) proceeded by mock trailers created by filmmaker friends like Eli Roth, Rob Zombie, and Edgar Wright. “Grindhouse” was a notorious bomb in the U.S. with just a $25 million gross. Tarantino was asked by Empire magazine readers if audiences misunderstood “Grindhouse,” to which the director admitted he overestimated just how many U.S. viewers had a soft spot for grindhouse cinema.

“Well, in America they got ‘Grindhouse.’ In the UK you got ‘Death Proof.’ With ‘Grindhouse,’ I think me and Robert just felt that people had a little more of a concept of the history of double features and exploitation movies,” Tarantino said. “No, they didn’t. At all. They had no idea what the **** they were watching. It meant nothing to them, alright, what we were doing. So that was a case of being a little too cool for school. But as far as the movie playing in England as the movie, I think people took it okay.”

Tarantino participated in a lengthy Empire Q&A to mark the 30th anniversary of the film magazine. While the interview was published last year, Empire finally made the entire Q&A available online for the first time this month. On the subject of “Grindhouse,” Tarantino shared a humorous story about going to see “Death Proof” in England with Edgar Wright as his guest. Unfortunately, there weren’t many other ticket buyers in attendance.

“I’m in London doing press on the film before opening weekend. And I go to Edgar Wright, ‘Hey, let’s you and me and your friends go see it on Friday night in Piccadilly,'” Tarantino said. So Nira [Park], his producer, and Joe Cornish and the whole Edgar group, we head into the heart of Piccadilly Circus to go see ‘Death Proof’ on opening day. And we walk in the theater and there’s about 13 people in there. On the opening 8:30 show, alright? That was a rather humbling experience. But we sat down and watched it and had a good time. Edgar was like, ‘That was very impressive. I think I would have turned around and walked out of there. The fact you said, ‘**** it,’ and sat down, I admired that.’”

Tarantino rebounded from the “Grindhouse” bomb with “Inglourious Basterds,” which won Christoph Waltz the Best Actor prize at Cannes and the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor (Waltz). Tarantino was nominated Best Original Screenplay. Not a bad way to bounce back. Head over to Empire magazine to read Tarantino’s full Q&A."

...Or maybe it's that 'Death Proof' is just a poor film!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st April 2020, 07:11 AM
Cult Addict

I like the idea of grindhouse but the tarantino fanboys really didn't get it, he spends most of his career ripping off old films, but people just take stuff on face value with no retro respective i guess.

Also the one thing i don't get is Tarantino loves exploitation/ cult films but he's too respectable to make a proper exploitation film.

Death Proof is half a good cult film but descends into some kind of feminist love in by the end.

If he's such a cult film fan make a proper Giallo inspired sleaze masterpiece.

He hasn't got the balls to go all out in my opinion.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!