Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2020, 01:06 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I split his filmography into 2.

Part one: his first 3 films
Part two: everything he's made since.

Out of part one, my favourite is Pulp Fiction but Jackie Brown is probably his most mature and natural film but that would still come in 3rd. Reservoir Dogs in second.

But, if I include scripts written not just directed, True Romance would be number 2 and From Dusk Till Dawn would be number 1. haha

Out of Part two, Django Unchained is my favourite followed by Kill Bill Vol.1, Inglourious Bastards, which literally has nothing to do with the original, then Once Upon A Time In Hollywood followed by Kill Bill Vol 2 and then Hateful 8 and finally Death Proof.

The reason I split his career is because those first 3 directed movies feel so incredibly different to everything after them, from Kill Bill onwards they all feel like movies that would exist as movies The dogs, Jules & Vincent and Jackie and Ordell would go and see in the cinema. They have no basis in reality even if some are based on real events such as WW2 and 1969 Hollywood.
Old 17th July 2020, 05:54 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I split his filmography into 2.

Part one: his first 3 films
Part two: everything he's made since.

Out of part one, my favourite is Pulp Fiction but Jackie Brown is probably his most mature and natural film but that would still come in 3rd. Reservoir Dogs in second.

But, if I include scripts written not just directed, True Romance would be number 2 and From Dusk Till Dawn would be number 1. haha

Out of Part two, Django Unchained is my favourite followed by Kill Bill Vol.1, Inglourious Bastards, which literally has nothing to do with the original, then Once Upon A Time In Hollywood followed by Kill Bill Vol 2 and then Hateful 8 and finally Death Proof.

The reason I split his career is because those first 3 directed movies feel so incredibly different to everything after them, from Kill Bill onwards they all feel like movies that would exist as movies The dogs, Jules & Vincent and Jackie and Ordell would go and see in the cinema. They have no basis in reality even if some are based on real events such as WW2 and 1969 Hollywood.
That's a really decent appraisal of his ouvre, P. And splitting them in two and saying the films from the second part of his career are what the characters from the first half would see is genius! Right on the money and certainly not something I'd have thought about until you mentioned it.

I guess another distinction between those two halves is that while the first three films were saturated with pop culture references they weren't as in-your-face as they are in those from Kill Bill onwards - some of it REALLY takes you out of the film and given that Reaps mentioned Death Proof that's a good place to start - the incidental music cues were a massive problem for me because their placement--even in that spectacular car chase at the end-- really took me out of the film because they brought back memories of the films he'd stolen them from! There are way too many different pieces of music in that one sequence and it's really distracting the first time you see it.

Would have to agree with Nos about DP being his worst film too. Another of my criticisms is it's way too long and there's far too much inane talking between the girls and a lot of what they say seems forced and it's not organic, like it's been thrown in because it's a signature requisite of a QT flick. I have grown to like it, despite its flaws. The Grindhouse cut is the one to watch as it's a fair bit shorter and addresses some of my concerns with dialogue, etc. Funny thing is I prefer the standalone release of Planet Terror - there's just no pleasing some people, eh?
Old 17th July 2020, 09:06 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
Would have to agree with Nos about DP being his worst film too. Another of my criticisms is it's way too long and there's far too much inane talking between the girls and a lot of what they say seems forced and it's not organic, like it's been thrown in because it's a signature requisite of a QT flick. I have grown to like it, despite its flaws. The Grindhouse cut is the one to watch as it's a fair bit shorter and addresses some of my concerns with dialogue, etc. Funny thing is I prefer the standalone release of Planet Terror - there's just no pleasing some people, eh?
I think you nailed my biggest problem with Death Proof – everything about it feels self-indulgent. The Grindhouse 'project' was everything fanboy-ish about Tarantino, someone able to make a pet project with no one sitting behind him and pointing out what is unnecessary and overlong.

It's been a long time since I saw the film and I've been meaning to buy it for years, but as there is no stand-alone Blu-ray release in the UK, that's something which will have to wait. I watched at the cinema thinking 'this is Tarantino making a film for Tarantino' – it was a film I felt he would have loved watching and recommending to customers when working at Video Archives when he was in his 20s.
Old 17th July 2020, 11:31 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Well people,I have to disagree,I finished watching the Grindhouse cut of Death Proof and It’s more entertaining than Django Unchained and Kill Bill part 2.

As for it being Tarantino fanboyish,well I look at it as more of a tribute,a nod to films of a bygone era,and if further proof were needed,just have a look at the list of thanks to various cult figures during the end credits.

Planet Terror is the more entertaining film,but it’s far less professionally made,intentional or not.

I just wish someone had made Thanksgiving and Werewolf Girls of the SS!

Now there’s a grindhouse double bill

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th July 2020, 08:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Check out these paintings that an artist friend of mine painted for my birthday, I loved them so much that I left them in the taxi yesterday while ever so slightly drunk and had to get the driver to come back with them

IMG_4072.jpg
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th June 2021, 02:33 PM
Cult Master

How many 'final films' is he going to make?

Quentin Tarantino has considered making his final film a ‘Reservoir Dogs’ reboot / NME

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th June 2021, 07:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
As many as it takes until he is bored, unpopular, or no one will fund and/or distribute them. If Tarantino continues to make 'final films' as good as Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood, I'll continue to watch them at the cinema and buy them to watch at home.

Like this? Share it using the links below!