Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2024, 01:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Ralph Ineson

A top article in Fangoria by Lisa Laman about this brilliant character actor and his place in the horror genre.

Quote:
How Ralph Ineson Became A Modern Horror Icon

From THE WITCH to THE FIRST OMEN, celebrating Ineson's welcome (and terrifying) presence.

When the first trailer for The Witch dropped in August 2015, everything about the feature was still a mystery. True, The Witch had stirred up a buzz at its Sundance Film Festival premiere. However, leading lady Anya Taylor-Joy and newbie director Robert Eggers were unknown quantities to the general public.

That eye-catching and harrowing trailer certainly put this movie on people?s radar, though. Here was a horror movie that looked like nothing else in the mid-2010s horror marketplace. The trailer?s uniqueness even extended to the final line of dialogue spoken against a black screen. Those fateful words ?let us leave to the woods? were uttered in the iconic voice of actor Ralph Ineson.

Playing patriarch William in The Witch was the first prominent role Americans saw this British character actor inhabit. However, it wouldn?t be the last. After leaving a massive impression in The Witch, Ineson became a fixture of the last decade of horror cinema.

That prominence extends to the new horror movie The First Omen. Here, Ineson inhabits the role of Father Brennan from the original Omen. Sometimes, less is more, including the presence of certain actors in specific genres. Horror cinema has been all the better because of Ineson?s ubiquity. This actor has built on his masterful work in The Witch to become a modern horror icon.

Part of that iconic stature comes from something simple: Ralph Ineson never condescends to the world of horror. These titles aren?t Ineson dipping his toes into ?frivolous? territory before he takes on ?real? acting gigs. Before his exploits in The Witch, Ineson had worked with auteurs like Mike Leigh, John Crowley, and Ridley Scott. These features often featured Ineson on-screen in smaller roles. However, they meant he got to work with some of the best filmmakers in the business. That experience helped him hone his craft as a performer.
https://www.fangoria.com/original/ra...n-horror-icon/

I haven't included the whole article here because it is long, so it's worth going to the Fangoria website to read it. He's definitely come a long way from playing Chris Finch in The Office to having high profile roles in big budget American films such as The Creator, The Green Knight, and The First Omen.

I love his performance in The Witch, a superb film that benefits from his committed and persuasive performance, utterly convincing as the patriarch of a puritan family in 17th-century New England. The fact he's playing Father Brennan in The First Omen is a huge mark in its favour and why I'm very interested in seeing it in the cinema.
Old 15th April 2024, 01:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs;697836
I love his performance in [B
The Witch[/B], a superb film that benefits from his committed and persuasive performance, utterly convincing as the patriarch of a puritan family in 17th-century New England. The fact he's playing Father Brennan in The First Omen is a huge mark in its favour and why I'm very interested in seeing it in the cinema.
I thought he was also very good in Lord of Misrule. He takes folklore and traditions way too seriously.
Old 15th April 2024, 03:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought he was also very good in Lord of Misrule. He takes folklore and traditions way too seriously.
I've just checked my collection and don't own Lord of Misrule, so onto the wishlist it goes.

Is it possible to take folklore and traditions too seriously?
Old 15th April 2024, 03:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just checked my collection and don't own Lord of Misrule, so onto the wishlist it goes.

Is it possible to take folklore and traditions too seriously?
Wait until you see Ralph's house.
Old 15th April 2024, 03:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Wait until you see Ralph's house.
I'd love to - is there a video?
Old 15th April 2024, 05:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'd love to - is there a video?
I meant in the film Lord of Misrule.

Not his actual house.
Old 15th April 2024, 10:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I meant in the film Lord of Misrule.

Not his actual house.
Oh, that makes a lot more sense!

Like this? Share it using the links below!