Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2010, 05:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I definitely enjoy Martino's Giallo's which are every bit as good as the entries by Bava and Argento etc IMO. As are Lenzi's contributions.

And let's not forget the sordid affair that is Mountain of the Cannibal God. In spite of the unnecessary animal cruelty (and it's more tasteless and pointless than anything served up by Deodato and Lenzi) it's a rollicking good adventure yarn. And that soundtrack needs a CD release!
I was really surprised at how good MOTCG was when I first watched it. Aside form the pointless animal cruelty, I really enjoyed it - it's definitely one of my favourite cannibal flicks.
Old 21st February 2010, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mountain of the Cannibal God starts off well, but it loses it's way towards the end (just my opinion of course, I know some will disagree)

All the Colors of the Dark is a cracking giallo, with both Edwige Fenech and Susan Scott. Big Alligator River is silly but a lot of fun and Man Called Blade is an enjoyable spaghetti western.

My fave Martino film is 2019: After the Fall of New York. My least favourite is Violent Professionals.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 21st February 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 21st February 2010, 06:32 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I was really surprised at how good MOTCG was when I first watched it. Aside form the pointless animal cruelty, I really enjoyed it - it's definitely one of my favourite cannibal flicks.
Bar for the senseless animal footage I enjoyed Mountain too. Definitely one of the better cannibal flicks and enjoyable all the way through.
Old 21st February 2010, 07:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Mountain of the Cannibal God starts off well, but it loses it's way towards the end (just my opinion of course, I know some will disagree)

All the Colors of the Dark is a cracking giallo, with both Edwige Fenech and Susan Scott. Big Alligator River is silly but a lot of fun and Man Called Blade is an enjoyable spaghetti western.

My fave Martino film is 2019: After the Fall of New York. My least favourite is Violent Professionals.
I haven't seen any of Martino's Spaghetti Westerns or Post Apocalypse flicks so can't really add anything insightful when it comes to them!

I have to agree with you on ATCOTD though loops; a great giallo.
Old 21st February 2010, 07:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I haven't seen any of Martino's Spaghetti Westerns or Post Apocalypse flicks so can't really add anything insightful when it comes to them!

I have to agree with you on ATCOTD though loops; a great giallo.
[B]

You should get them BE, I reckon you will like them.

I have only seen 3 of Martino's gialli (the other two beiong Case of the Scorpions Tail and Torso) and ATCOTD is the best of the three. I was going to buy the NO Shame editions of his other giallo's but I waited too long and now they are going for ridiculous prices. (I'm sure MYA will re-issue them)

Old 21st February 2010, 07:40 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
[B]

You should get them BE, I reckon you will like them.

I have only seen 3 of Martino's gialli (the other two beiong Case of the Scorpions Tail and Torso) and ATCOTD is the best of the three. I was going to buy the NO Shame editions of his other giallo's but I waited too long and now they are going for ridiculous prices. (I'm sure MYA will re-issue them)
I might have to look into them loops... never really been a fan of Westerns though.

Yeah, those NoShame releases are pretty expensive... still, MYA has already released Mrs Wardh as Blade of the Ripper, and I'm almost positive Your Vice will follow. I think they are also planning to re-release Scorpion's Tail too.
Old 21st February 2010, 07:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I might have to look into them loops... never really been a fan of Westerns though.

Yeah, those NoShame releases are pretty expensive... still, MYA has already released Mrs Wardh as Blade of the Ripper, and I'm almost positive Your Vice will follow. I think they are also planning to re-release Scorpion's Tail too.
Really? Cosidering how much you love italian films, I thought you would have been a fan of spaghetti westerns. I love them!

I noticed MYA had put out Mrs Wardh and I think I best order it now and avoid the risk of having to pay over the odd's in the future. I might uprade to a new edition of Scorpions Tail, the german dvd isn't very good.

Old 21st February 2010, 08:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Really? Cosidering how much you love italian films, I thought you would have been a fan of spaghetti westerns. I love them!

I noticed MYA had put out Mrs Wardh and I think I best order it now and avoid the risk of having to pay over the odd's in the future. I might uprade to a new edition of Scorpions Tail, the german dvd isn't very good.
Yeah, it's my secret shame! I don't know why, but I just can't get into them. I'm always up for watching new and different stuff though - I watch all kinds of trash!

It's the same with the Post Apocalyptic genre really. There's only a handful of them I've seen. Before getting The Bronx Warriors tin I hadn't seen New Barbarians, but on watching it - I loved it! So much so that I watched it agian straight after with the awesome fact track. I'm sure I'd be the same with Spaghetti's - it's just having the time to watch some amongst the hundreds of other films I have on the to-watch pile...

Yeah, the German Scorpion is pretty poor transfer-wise, but the artwork is great! I also have the NoShame Scorpion, though and the print is great. Well worth getting; if you can find it cheap enough. MYA will probably use the existing NoShame print for their new release, however it will probably be without the extras.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:56 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I've seen the No Shame dvd of Scorpions Tale going for decent prices, in fact theres one on ebay @ the mo for £8. Well worth picking up. I just hope MYA do release Your Vice... as I stupidly never got the No Shame release before it started going for silly money
Old 21st February 2010, 09:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm something of a Martino fan. I have the following so far: -

Torso
Gambling City
Case of the Scorpion's Tail
All the Colors of the Dark
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
Violent Professionals
A Man Called Blade
The Mountain of the Cannibal God
Island of Fishmen
Big Alligator River
Scorpion with Two Tails
2019: After the Fall of New York

Someone should release a decent version of Hands of Steel on DVD! *hint hint*

Like this? Share it using the links below!