Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   Antonio Margheriti (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/6333-antonio-margheriti.html)

Pete 31st July 2011 01:13 PM

Antonio Margheriti

Any fans of the late, great Antonio Margheriti?

A fine director who could turn his hand at any genre, he never really get's the praise he deserves IMO.

My favourite AM movies are:

TORNADO (aka TORNADO STRIKE FORCE), NAKED YOU DIE!, CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE, SEVEN DEATHS IN THE CAT'S EYE, THE STRANGER AND THE GUNFIGHTER (aka BLOOD MONEY), VENGEANCE, CODE NAME: WILD GEESE.

Pete 31st July 2011 01:18 PM

Just looking at the IMDB page for the LAST HUNTER and it's pretty shoddy. It's get's the film's plot completely wrong, says the UK title was HUNTER OF THE APOCALYPSE (which it isn't) and that the title of LAST HUNTER was used in 'undefined' territories! That's the proper translated title, which was used in the UK, US, Australia (I think).

:crazy:

Gojirosan 31st July 2011 01:19 PM

My love for Mr Margheriti may be a matter of public record all ready...

Gojirosan 31st July 2011 01:35 PM

This thread has made me just order The Last Hunter and Commando Leopard...

Pete 31st July 2011 01:38 PM

I didn't like COMMANDO LEOPARD. I used to have the ABUK DVD and the german ediiton which you can get as part of an excellent boxset from Germany, which also contains CODE NAME: WILD GEESE, THE COMMANDER and THE WILD GEESE. You can get it for around £20 on e-bay.

If only someone would release TORNADO!

Gojirosan 31st July 2011 01:48 PM

To be honest, I didn't like it much either, but it has an odd place in my heart as me and a mate used to get drunk and laugh at it back in the 90s. So I wanted to get a copy again! :lol:

Pete 31st July 2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 169841)
To be honest, I didn't like it much either, but it has an odd place in my heart as me and a mate used to get drunk and laugh at it back in the 90s. So I wanted to get a copy again! :lol:

:D

The best thing about the DVD is the on set footage showing Klaus Kinski being his usual angry self.

Gojirosan 31st July 2011 01:50 PM

Oh, and may I just say...

KILLER FISH!!!

:cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2011 02:32 PM

Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye is the sexiest gothic masterpiece Hammer never made. One of my favourite films of all time, Not just from the horror genre.

If this was the only film Margheriti made he would still be a genius in my eyes.

The fact Margheriti or Dawson as he goes under for this film, armed himself with a great cast of film stars - Jane Birkin, Serge Gainsbourg and Anton Diffring - and not just the usual plethora of Italian journeymen that appear in every other giallo is a great credit to him and producer Luigi Nannerini.

bdc 31st July 2011 07:16 PM

My favourite Margheriti horror films (in no particular order):

The Virgin of Nuremberg (1963)
Castle of Blood (1964)
The Long Hair of Death (1964)