Poll: Best argento film?
Poll Options
Best argento film?

Like Tree384Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watch Giallo yesterday, I couldn't really get into it. It wasn't boring, but it wasn't engaging either and it certainly didn't feel like an Argento movie. I went in expecting bad things, so I wasn't too disapointed but I found Mother of Tears to be more enjoyable than this.
Old 2nd October 2009, 05:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Any more info mate?
Any good points at all?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd October 2009, 07:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The whole film doesn't get out of first gear, there's no real excitement generated anywhere. Brody's acting barely registers and the rest of the cast are worse, the story is extremely clichéd to boot!

Good things? Erm, it looks good? Score isn't half bad either, but definately not the usual type of OST Argento would go for. It's the first Argento film I've seen that I have no strong feelings for, be they good or bad.
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Studio or moneymen interference no doubt.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th October 2009, 09:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Someone's definately been fiddling with it. It'll be worth a watch for any Argento fan just to see what happens when he makes a film for the money and not because he has passion for the project.
Old 20th March 2010, 10:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've had a quick look at the MYA DVD of FOUR FLIES.....It's a cracking print.
Did this disc not get some stick?

I can't see why.....

Old 21st March 2010, 08:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

"It would appear that the MYA print is cut in exactly the same places as a TV broadcast on Italian telly back in the early 90's. The cuts occur at precisely the same time as the adverts appear on the TV broadcast. This suggests (confirms, even...) that it's not 'print damage' at the end of the reels to blame for those brief missing segments - as has been suggested in a few places. MYA simply used a TV broadcast master.

Also, unsurprisingly, the recent screening on Italian TV was identical to the MYA disc with the same brief cuts."

"The English audio was lifted from the Retrofilm dvd and the pitch is way out (speeded up for ntsc). Everybody's voice sounds wrong. The awful quality US trailers were also nicked from the same disc."

"...the scenes that were shot day-for-night are correctly presented in the German transfer. That and the audio is better."

"I know everyone has moaned about the German and US releases of the film, but for better or worse, they're both worth hanging onto."

Mya
"the sound quality is a different story, however. The Italian language track (which isn’t accompanied by English subtitles) is great and everything one would expect from a mono track of its age but the same cannot be said for the English dub. The English track is fine for the most part, though I did struggle to hear some dialogue but the disc’s biggest problem is that it suffers from a rather distracting distortion audible whenever Morricone’s signature cue plays out."

"It’s also worth noting that like the Retromedia release, there are minute passages of the film that are absent from the Mya release and these sections differ from those missing from the German disc. These missing elements include the introduction to the scene just prior to Roberto meeting with Godfrey for the first time and a line of dialogue between the same characters at the end of the film, after Nina walks out the door. There’s also a colour grading issue in the scene in which the housemaid waits for the blackmailer in the park: the scene was obviously shot day for night with the intention of correcting the colour in post-production. In the Retromedia release there is a gradual descent into darkness, whereas the Mya release lingers in the daylight before making an abrupt transition into darkness when the maid is chased through the park’s gardens. Again, this is a minor issue but one that could have been so easily avoided by those overseeing the transfer."

(lovelockandload)
Old 21st March 2010, 08:52 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Now a friend of mine keeps insisting he saw some murder scenes in a more explicit version in the Belgian 35 mm print?
He's usually right when he states this kind of stuff.
I've asked around on the net but nobody can confirm this,however nobody can confirm it isn't true.

Watching the film on the German disc is a completely different experience and somehow leads me to suspect there could be more footage shot.

The trailer is very interesting since it includes "new footage".
I wonder if this was just shot for the trailer?

Old 21st March 2010, 12:04 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
The whole film doesn't get out of first gear, there's no real excitement generated anywhere. Brody's acting barely registers and the rest of the cast are worse
And the actor playing Yellow isn't much better
Old 21st March 2010, 11:18 PM
Cultist

so hard to pick a favourite!

i'll pick suspiria! i'll probably always pick that since it was my first dario argento film!
but i also really love profondo rosso!

has anyone been to the profondo rosso store/museum
i haven't been but i plan on going some time.

Like this? Share it using the links below!