Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: Best argento film?
Poll Options
Best argento film?

Like Tree384Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2018, 02:03 PM
Cultist

I loved that trailer, especially the Thom Yorke score. I think this is going to be fantastic, albeit in a completely different way to Argento’s original.

Too much talent involved for it to fail...hopefully.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 4th June 2018, 02:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Yeah, not overly impressed by the look of it either, I can’t see me bothering to go watch it at the cinema (if it’s released in cinemas over here), but I will check it out on home video
Crimson Blade likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th June 2018, 02:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

me neither. Although, kids today will probably prefer this and laugh at the original.
Old 4th June 2018, 08:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hmm time will tell.

Looks more of a 'bleak' film,whereas the original was a 'nightmarish dreamworld'.

Hey-can't be as bad as Dracula or Giallo.....

nosferatu42 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th June 2018, 07:22 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It looks a bit cheap to me. I think it's the type of camera used. Where are the brilliant and garish colours that made Argento's film stand out.

Although it says in theaters November, I get the feeling this will be on Amazon Prime over here and that will be it, forgotten about a few days after it's premier.

I hope i'm wrong and it's a good film.
Amazon pick up or finance a lot of films (Manchester by the Sea, Chi-raq, etc) and they get cinema and home entertainment releases.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this - I loved the trailer. Power to its talented director for doing something different - it seems to be a huge departure from Argento's film and that is the only way it's going to work - Luca Guadagnino is too talented just to ape the original....

Whatever happens it will be Marmite for fans of the original.
Old 5th June 2018, 07:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Some films I can go into and put to one side its a remake then try and enjoy it for what it is once decided if like or not then compare to original .
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 5th June 2018, 09:28 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Some films I can go into and put to one side its a remake then try and enjoy it for what it is once decided if like or not then compare to original .

A film, remake, sequel or otherwise, should be given a chance to stand on its own - we’ve had great remakes in the past (they’re few and far between, admittedly) so it’s always worth letting something have the chance to entertain you.

I’ve seen a lot of negative sentiment piled on this film - like someone else said, those who want to hate on something unseen aren’t being forced to watch it. I’ve always been encouraging about remakes because they offer the opportunity to bring attention to original works that may have evaded younger people. That and there’s almost always a super-up reissue of the original to buy on disc. Everyone’s a winner apart from film snobs who claim to be outraged in order to flex their perceived superiority, I guess.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th June 2018, 11:55 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Is Dario himself up to anything film wise?
Old 5th June 2018, 01:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is Dario himself up to anything film wise?
Afraid not. He released an Italian book of fairy tale stories quite recently. That and his autobiography is all he's done since Dracula. There was the crowdfunded Sandman film project a few years back but nothing came of that (and the organisers appear to have stolen everyone's money). btw I bought a blu-ray 'perk' - last time that I'll contribute to crowdfunding I think.
Old 5th June 2018, 01:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Afraid not. He released an Italian book of fairy tale stories quite recently. That and his autobiography is all he's done since Dracula. There was the crowdfunded Sandman film project a few years back but nothing came of that (and the organisers appear to have stolen everyone's money). btw I bought a blu-ray 'perk' - last time that I'll contribute to crowdfunding I think.
That's awful.

Like this? Share it using the links below!