Poll: Best argento film?
Poll Options
Best argento film?

Like Tree384Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2022, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched Dracula for the first time last month, I don’t know what to tell you all but I liked it haha

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th June 2022, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched Dracula for the first time last month, I don’t know what to tell you all but I liked it haha
Everyone's taste is different, for me and maybe some, once was enough
Old 17th June 2022, 06:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've seen it two or three times now. I have no problem with it other then the FX which are shite.

There's like digital fog throughout which is appalling. Couldn't you afford a fog machine, Dario?
Old 17th June 2022, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran

I don't actually think he could afford one, the lack of budget is apparent but it's still fun if you can see past that
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th June 2022, 08:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Especially the grasshopper....

Well,I watched Giallo last night and have to say it was better than Dracula.

But wtf with that ending? Did they run out of cash? Or was that when Brody ****ed off?

Glutton for punishment.Gonna revisit Phantom of the Opera this week!

Cannae be as bad as big Gerry fae Glesga beltin' oot Music of the Night!

I've not seen this since the Tartan dvd 20 years ago!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th July 2022, 05:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tenebre. 1982.

Another Argento masterpiece brought to us in 4K, this was certainly worth the price I paid for it, Sound, picture quality is pure bliss even with Veronica Lario painting the wall red.

maxresdefault (3).jpg
Old 28th August 2022, 10:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Argento made a London appearance this weekend (at a Frightfest screening of Dark Glasses). He said that he starts shooting another film in Paris, early next year. He also said the project was very dark and would be a remake of a 1940's Mexican film. No title reveal yet.
Old 12th September 2022, 09:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dark Glasses is getting a US theatrical release on Oct 7th

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...bo_rs_table_34

Definitely boosts it's chances of a US Blu-ray release.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 15th April 2023, 02:12 PM
Cult Master

There is a Dario Argento season at the BFI Southbank during May

"Dario Argento: Doors Into Darkness

Throughout his career, Dario Argento has frequently been dubbed ‘the Italian Hitchcock’. But in truth, there is no other filmmaker quite like Argento.

The connection is understandable. Hitchcock wasn’t just a filmmaker, he was a brand. You think suspense, you think Hitchcock. So, when Argento appeared with his uniquely baroque take on the whodunit, what better way to make sense of this prodigious new talent than compare him to the master. Of course, they do share many similarities, not least a proclivity for murder, but it’s the deeper difference that ultimately sets them apart – Hitchcock’s is the cinema of details and discipline, Argento’s is of dreams and disorientation.

The textures, tones and reverberations of Argento’s visions are so evocative, the mere mention of his name can transport you to a psychotropic German dance academy, or send you soaring over a brutalist apartment building in the dead of night. After more than 50 years crafting a body of work so distinctive and singular, comparisons are no longer necessary. If there is one filmmaker whose name speaks for itself, it’s Dario Argento."

Talks and events:
  • Dario Argento in Conversation - The Italian horror maestro discusses his screen career.
  • Strange Phenomena: Argento season introduction - Season programmer Michael Blyth guides us through the fantastic, unsettling and visceral worlds of the Italian horror maestro.
  • Deep Red + Q&A with Dario Argento - Making stylistic excess look effortless, Argento’s sumptuous giallo marked the beginning of the director’s golden age.
  • Suspiria + intro by Dario Argento - Argento’s most famous film is a beautiful and brutal burst of untamed imagination, showcasing the full extent of his visual artistry.
  • Tenebrae + intro by Dario Argento - Following his supernatural sojourns, Suspiria and Inferno, Argento steps back into the real world for a blood-soaked tale of murder and meta-textuality.
  • Opera + intro by Michael Blyth, season curator - Boasting quite possibly his most iconic single image, almost certainly his most spectacular death scene, and indisputably his most insane ending, this is essential Argento.

Films
  • The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - Argento’s astonishingly accomplished first stab at directing stands as one of Italian horror cinema’s most influential works.
  • The Cat o’ Nine Tails - Proving he is far more than just elaborate set-pieces, Argento’s overlooked second feature is ripe for reappraisal.
  • Four Flies on Grey Velvet - Unavailable for many years, the once lost finale of Argento’s so-called Animal Trilogy is a thrilling hint of things to come.
  • The Five Days - Ditching contemporary thrills for historical high jinks, Argento’s forgotten film is unlike anything else in his career.
  • Deep Red - Making stylistic excess look effortless, Argento’s sumptuous giallo marked the beginning of the director’s golden age.
  • Suspiria - Argento’s most famous film is a beautiful and brutal burst of untamed imagination, showcasing the full extent of his visual artistry.
  • Inferno - Arguably Argento’s most visually arresting film, Inferno is to be experienced, not understood.
  • Tenebrae - Following his supernatural sojourns, Suspiria and Inferno, Argento steps back into the real world for a blood-soaked tale of murder and meta-textuality.
  • Phenomena - Ditching his four flies for an entire army of insects, this wild fusion of psychics and psychos saw Argento turn it up to eleven.
  • Opera - Boasting quite possibly his most iconic single image, almost certainly his most spectacular death scene, and indisputably his most insane ending, this is essential Argento.
  • Trauma - Eschewing baroque extravagance in favour of sombre restraint, this mystery thriller was Argento, but not as we know him.
  • The Stendhal Syndrome - Asia Argento gives one of her best performances in what may be her father’s most disturbing film.
  • The Phantom of the Opera - Softly, deftly, this movie shall caress you. Hear it, feel it, let Dario possess you.
  • Sleepless - Max von Sydow lends a quiet gravitas to this distinctly Argentonian murder mystery, hailed by many as the director’s return to form.
  • The Card Player - Long before Jigsaw tricycled onto cinema screens, Argento wanted to play a game of his own.
  • Do You Like Hitchcock? - The Italian Hitchcock pays his respects to the Master of Suspense with this playfully cine-literate homage to his most iconic films.
  • Mother of Tears: The Third Mother - Argento gets back to the witch hunt with possibly the most eagerly anticipated film of his career.
  • Dark Glasses - Argento’s first film in a decade is a wickedly enjoyable giallo throwback, which fans will have as much fun watching as the maestro clearly had making.

More info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic245 - Argento BFI Season 1.jpg (98.2 KB, 39 views)
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th December 2023, 11:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I finally watched (not sure why it took so long) Calum Waddell's 90 minute giallo documentary which is on the Arrow/Synapse Tenebre 4K UHD/blu-ray sets. I very much enjoyed it. What did surprise me was how Argento-centric it was, I think maybe almost 50% of it dealt with discussing Dario's work and career, including interviewing the man himself. Not a bad thing for his fans. Would recommend checking it out if you haven't already done so, I'm pleased to have another Argento documentary in the collection.

Like this? Share it using the links below!