Best argento film?

Like Tree384Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2009, 10:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

When will some movie mogul give this artistic genius free reigns?
He ain't getting any younger you know......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th September 2009, 07:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I hadn't seen "Mother Of Tears " when the debate was going on. Now I have I can only agree with the general feeling that it is the lesser of the three....... by a long distance too.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 9th September 2009, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I had been steering clear of Argento's new films due to a lot of negative feedback but I picked up MOT cheap enough.
It was ok but I was amazed at how lazy it seemed compared to his older stuff. Script was really terrible.Almost felt like George Lucas had a hand in writing it.
Some nice gore though redeemed it for me, I would rate it maybe a 5/10.
Suspiria is a 10/10 for me and Inferno 8/10
Old 9th September 2009, 08:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Anyone reckon it's something to do with the financial backers input?
As we all know,the crazy days of when a director was given a free reign,(When most of the best films were made) are long gone....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 29th September 2009, 09:57 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm not too sure about investors, I mean Inferno was handled, badly at that, by 20th Century Fox! lol - Maybe he worked better when it was just his father and brother over seeing the project, but I personally think it's more to do with him not writting his own films any more!

He was also given free reign with Masters of Horror, a lot of fans didn't enjoy what he did with that material he chose; I did however!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 29th September 2009, 01:44 PM
Cult Rookie

i don't think that they where given as full free reigns as we may think, Iäm sure that they had quite restrained budgets then too. And at the same time, it's almost impossible to recreate the aura of those classic movies. Just remember how awfull the late eighties flicks where with the Heavy Metal soundtracks. Great back then, but terrible now. That should have been our first warning... MOT lacked all the mysticism and gusto of the two first parts, I can't believe that the ending was so random. (and that Daria was a superimposed ghost!) Oops there's a giant pillar, CRUSH, oh well the witch is dead... It almost becomes as if Argento is trying to out Argento himself, instead of keeping it on a reasonable level. Then again Inferno also falls apart when the Mother busts through the mirror, but those underwater sequences in the start make up for everything in that movie. Or so I feel.

http://cinezilla.blogspot.com/
Old 29th September 2009, 02:45 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Mother of Tears failed because of such a weak script - why didn't Dario and Daria just put their shit aside and write the final installment together? They can't be that rocky any more as she's in the damn film!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 29th September 2009, 02:55 PM
Cult Rookie

True. There is a strange kinda vibe in there...
Then again i sometimes feel that Argento is somewhat overrated considering the quantity vs quality count... but those early Gialli sure are grand.

http://cinezilla.blogspot.com/
Old 29th September 2009, 03:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Saying that, as weak as the story is I did have some fun with it. I was one of the few who actually liked the Mothers crazy-ass monkey sidekick-thingy!

I'm a rabid Argento fan, so the only films I really have issues with are Trauma, Phantom of the Opera and, to lesser extent, Card Player - which came across more 'made-for-TV' than his actual made-for-TV effort Do You like Hichcock?: which also left me non-plussed.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 29th September 2009, 04:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Agreed,you certainly can't beat his earlier stuff,but I found some enjoyment to be taken from those films you mentioned Phill.
MOT was always gonna fall short of the other two,especially Suspiria.

Like this? Share it using the links below!