Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Man's a genius-look at his ouevre-Zombie Creeping Flesh,Rats Night of Terror,
SS Girls-come on!
Totally agree.
His films are always fun to watch.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The only movie of his i disliked was Violence in a Womans Prison.
Old 6th November 2008, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Wasnt to struck on that one meself after watching it recently.Although emanuelle in prison,which was shot back to back with it is a whole lot better.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In an issue of The Dark Side Jay Slater said that Carl Daft was told by his solicitor to cut a Mattei movie he disributed because a woman has sex with a dog. Does anyone know what movie it is? i reckon its one of the mondo sex movies he directed.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 10th November 2008, 10:43 PM
Cultist in Training

Virus (aka Hell of the Living Dead, Zombi 5: Ultimate Nightmare, Zombie Creeping Flesh) is one of the worse movie I ever saw. Bruno Mattei's total lack of talent and skills leave me speechless. Nobody could make this film worse than it is. With this movie, Bruno Mattei pushes the level of stupidity so far that it becomes fascinating. He's an outsider: a director who never respected any rules, not even common sense. He didn't even try! That's what makes him unique. In a way, he's a genius - beyond any form of criticism (writing serious reviews of his movies would be absurd!).

I miss this type of anarchic film making. Today's movies are too predictable and serious. With Bruno you could expect everything
Old 5th December 2008, 04:17 PM
Active Cultist

Mattei was a hack in the finest tradition of hacks- he made film for money, but like many of his contemporaries he knew how to direct films. Could pose the same question about D'Amato really.

John Morghen told me that he thought Fulci was another hack- a fair point really, I suppose a director could be both hack and auteur at the same time.

My blog has moved house: Italian Film Review Blog
Old 5th December 2008, 04:45 PM
Ex-member

rlly like his cannibal films he made in 2003 especially Cannibal Ferox 3: Land of Death he uses lines riped straight out of cannibal holocaust/Aliens/Predator its so funny
Old 5th December 2008, 05:57 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
In an issue of The Dark Side Jay Slater said that Carl Daft was told by his solicitor to cut a Mattei movie he disributed because a woman has sex with a dog. Does anyone know what movie it is? i reckon its one of the mondo sex movies he directed.
I'd take anything written by Jay Slater with a pinch of salt.
Old 5th December 2008, 06:10 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NossB View Post
I'd take anything written by Jay Slater with a pinch of salt.
Not entierly fair- that zombie and cannibal book was worth the money, not as insightful as say the luciano rossi book that FAB released, and I didnt agree with many of the reviews but without that book I would never have discovered the wonderful cyclone. I preferred reading the slater book to any psychoanalis stuff on film. If you want a pinch of salt writing look at Alternative Europe, truly awful.

I dont know anything about slaters writing beyond that, and I know plagarism has been suggested, but i still say it was about it was great that the cannibal and zombie book came out.

That aside, not disagreeing with you at all, I am not qualified to say otherwise - I did like that book though.

My blog has moved house: Italian Film Review Blog
Old 5th December 2008, 06:49 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Not entierly fair- that zombie and cannibal book was worth the money, not as insightful as say the luciano rossi book that FAB released.
I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding "Eaten Alive!: Italian Cannibal and Zombie Movies" Herman, but the Rossi book was a great little read but "insightful", hmmmm, Kier-La Janisse rates each film with hearts to indicate how bloody cute he is in each movie!!! I did enjoy it for the hour it took to read though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!