Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2012, 12:03 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Tim Burton's awesome ED WOOD is playing on the big screen in Bury St Edmonds later in the month.

24th May 2012 ED WOOD Abbygate Picturehouse - Bury St Edmonds
VicDakin likes this.
Old 15th August 2012, 10:02 PM
Cultist

During WW2 Wood was serving with USMC. He and several thousand of his fellow marines were dropped off on an island and told to take it. When the battle was over he was one of only a couple of hundred marines to have survived.

I always think about that story when I read those "worst director" ever things.

Still, even with non-existent budgets, Wood was still able to make very enjoyable films, a testament, no doubt, to his creative genius.
VicDakin likes this.
Old 16th August 2012, 01:40 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

It's strange, because it's quite fashionable to bash poor old Ed Wood. Sure his films looked cheap and were silly and nonsensical. But show me a single 50's sci-fi that isn't?

The point I'm making is that now, as we look back retrospectively, all 50's sci-fi films seem dated, with poor FX, full of alarmist hysteria and trite dialogue. So I don't think Wood's work is so out of place as critics have been trying to make out for all these years and I think he deserves some kind of reappraisal. I'm not trying to make the case that he made great films - just that his work isn't quite so at odds with the other stuff coming out at that time as film historians would have us to believe.
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy ed wood

Just watched Ed Wood again,just a great flick,however acurate it is or is'nt its still damn fine film and my fav Tim Burton flick,makes me want to see Dark Shadows,any how fav quote,although theres loads to choose from is-

Bunny Breckinridge: Let's hear you call Boris Karloff a cocksucker.

Sobral likes this.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default I got wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Also the great book, Nightmare Of Ecstasy, is a worthwhile introduction to the man.....

Amazon.co.uk: nightmare of ecstasy: Books
Just been reading this book,great anecdotes from Mr Woods friends and colleagues,lots of great stories about this guy.
bdc and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Plan 9 from Cult Lab Forums

Ive been an Ed Wood fan for along while and I truly believe he was a good director,but maybe just didn't get the brakes or the luck of his peers,hey Im not saying he made great art or life changing movies,but does he entetrtain hell yes.
Its easy to see why Mr Wood divides film fans,what seems clunky and camp to some,may seem to others the work of a misundersood genius.To most he is an inept and un accomplished director with no talent and even less ability,to me and hopefully a few others he is the epitome of the struggling director,fighting against the odds and over coming difficulties with enthusiasm and sheer determination,he will do everything with in his means to finish his film.His sheer bloody mindedness and a believe in his own talent drives him onward.I think many others in his situation would of gave up and decided to throw in the towel,but then that's the difference between us mere mortals and those guys who make films,they never give up and they follow there dreams thru to the end.
I only came to know the name of Ed wood thru the Medveds who were peddling there Turkey awards dedicated at ridiculing movie makers who dare to make a bad movie in there eyes,heaven forbid that they make a mistake.Think for a second,what if somebody came into your workplace and brought up all the errors and mistakes we have all made,then high lighted them and then stuck them in a book or on television show,I think you'd be justified in feeling slightly peeved to say the least,so why are filmmakers allowed to be insulted and humiliated in this way,I guess jealousy may come into it,these guys have the gaul to do what we only dream about,so we do the 2nd best thing and mock them from the side lines.What I think is worse in the case of Ed Wood is that a lot of his detractors seem to luv giving him a kicking after he passed away,Im not sure when the Medveds did there Turkey awards but im sure Ed had died before hand,some how this seems ok to ridicule him because he is no longer with us? I would of thought abit of respect would of been shown but obviously not.
So why do I like the films of Ed Wood when may other don't or just laugh at his efforts,while other see ineptitude I see inventiveness and the ability to think on his feet.Lets not forget that bad acting lousy special effects and dire direction is something we see more frequently now more than ever,we seem to think because everyone has the technology close to hand that anyone can direct a film,whether its the endless movie students with aspirations or making the big time or the endless You tube efforts which clog are computers.
Of course his films are not perfect,there are lots of things that anyone could list,and sometimes there is enjoyment from watching the cardboard tombstones wobble while a swedish wrestler tramples the set under foot,or a Lugosi stand in tries to cover his face with a cloak while trying to impersonate a now dead screen legend.But these things make what could of been another run of the mill B-movie into something magical,what is worse a director who has no budget but gives us an entertaining film or a director who has millions of dollars and still delivers a turkey,Pearl Harbour anyone.I know by saying this I fall into the same trap,perhaps in 50 years time someone will be defending the films of Micheal Bay,saying he was a mis understood genius.
And the scene where Tor rises from the grave,I think it rates as an all time classic scene.

The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of the forum

Attached Images
File Type: jpg plan9.jpg (21.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (1).jpg (22.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (2).jpg (51.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (4).jpg (28.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (5).jpg (18.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (7).jpg (19.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (8).jpg (21.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (9).jpg (20.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (10).jpg (20.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (16).jpg (17.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (17).jpg (19.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (18).jpg (19.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (20).jpg (19.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (22).jpg (20.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (25).jpg (18.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (27).jpg (23.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan9 (29).jpg (20.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 25th September 2013, 05:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Random Wood.

Old 25th September 2013, 06:01 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
Just been reading this book,great anecdotes from Mr Woods friends and colleagues,lots of great stories about this guy.
Here's some of the author's other work.

Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 25th September 2013, 06:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
What a coincidence, you post this pic and a few minutes later this turns up on the Vincent Price Facebook page, spooky shit going on!

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th September 2013, 06:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
What a coincidence, you post this pic and a few minutes later this turns up on the Vincent Price Facebook page, spooky shit going on!

What a wonderful pic,I just luvs Vampira and Tor's not bad either.
Rik likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!