Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Horror Stars & Directors (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   Tom Savini (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horror-stars-directors/9330-tom-savini.html)

Robert W 19th August 2012 07:26 PM

Tom Savini

Now here's a man deserving of his own appreciation thread!

Savini became synonymous with 80s splatter, and with good reason. His special make-up effects were, by far, the best, the bloodiest, and most realistic looking.

Speaking about his effects, I remember that three out of the four times I was sitting in an audience that went absolutely berserk were Savini films, Creepshow, Friday the 13th Pt. 4, and Day of the Dead. The other one was Reanimator.

Hopefully the upcoming Savini documentary will be good
SMOKE AND MIRRORS: The story of Tom Savini Teaser trailer - YouTube

Rik 19th August 2012 07:34 PM

I love Tom Savini, I have his Grande Illusions 2 book and it's fantastic. I wasn't aware of this new doc, I'll definitely be checking it out when it's released :woot:

Prince_Vajda 19th August 2012 07:35 PM

Savini is definitely a genius, his masterpiece being The Prowler.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2

Rik 19th August 2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 267160)
Savini is definitely a genius, his masterpiece being The Prowler.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2

Yeah, completely agree. There are certain films from the 80's that would've been nothing without him and his magic box of tricks

Robert W 19th August 2012 07:45 PM

Personally, I think his greatest cinematic achievement was Day of the Dead. Although his "death" of Jason in pt. 4 elicited the single greatest crowd reaction I've ever seen in a theater.

Vampix 19th August 2012 09:24 PM

I agree, Day of the Dead features some of Savini's best ever FX work imo.I think his personal favourites amongst his own work are 'fluffy' from Creepshow, and the creature from the Tales from the Darkside episode, 'Inside the Closet'.

Robert W 19th August 2012 09:36 PM

Special Effects - Tom Savini Creepshow Interview - YouTube

There's also a 3+hr "behind the scenes" dvd floating around out there of his work on Day of the Dead. Having seen it, I would highly recommend it to any of his fans.

Criterion7 20th August 2012 12:55 AM

I'm a huge fan of his work. Was very excited to see him announced as a guest for the convention I'm attending in September.

Robert W 20th August 2012 03:34 PM

MONTREAL COMIC-CON TO WORLD PREMIERE TOM SAVINI DOC!
Montreal Comic-Con to world premiere Tom Savini doc!

dis 20th August 2012 05:21 PM

the burning,great ettects i think.

Criterion7 20th August 2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert W (Post 267309)
MONTREAL COMIC-CON TO WORLD PREMIERE TOM SAVINI DOC!
Montreal Comic-Con to world premiere Tom Savini doc!

That's the one I'm going to! Can't wait to see it. The Montreal Comic Con started small but it's becoming huge.

demonknight 20th August 2012 06:08 PM

tom savini

Ah yes savini is the man. In terms of his effects work, I personally rate day of the dead as his best work. I've been a fan of savini for as long as I can remember. Scream greats doc on savini is excellent. Can't wait to see smoke and mirrors documentary. I read on this thread that there exists a 3plus hour dvd of his work on day of the dead. Does anyone know what its called and where it can be purchased? Love all his work especially his work with Romero so I also have a soft spot for creepshow. More savini more savini please.

demonknight 20th August 2012 06:34 PM

Robert w

Thanks for that. Just after ordering savini dvd online.

Robert W 21st August 2012 03:24 PM

There's plenty of Savini's "behind the scenes" home movies of his work on Creepshow up on Youtube atm.

Criterion7 21st August 2012 04:56 PM

Back in the days of VHS I paid close to a hundred if not more for the Scream Greats tape with Savini. Watched it until it broke and fixed it up with tape several times before it was no longer salvageable.

Seeing Savini at the con and the documentary will be one big check mark off my list of things I've always wanted to do.

Robert W 21st August 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 267562)
Back in the days of VHS I paid close to a hundred if not more for the Scream Greats tape with Savini. Watched it until it broke and fixed it up with tape several times before it was no longer salvageable.

Seeing Savini at the con and the documentary will be one big check mark off my list of things I've always wanted to do.

He's seems to have acquired this reputation as being some kind of jerk to people at cons, but all the footage I've seen of him at those makes him appear to be quite affable.

Criterion7 21st August 2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert W (Post 267574)
He's seems to have acquired this reputation as being some kind of jerk to people at cons, but all the footage I've seen of him at those makes him appear to be quite affable.

I've heard that but I wonder if it's the approach some take. I was told Adam West would be a jerk but he was really fun to talk too.

Guess I'll find out. Really hope it turns out he isn't. I'm hoping they'll be selling the documentary there during the premiere. There's three days of films but pulling of the world premiere with Savini was a huge coup for them.

Robert W 21st August 2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 267575)
I've heard that but I wonder if it's the approach some take. I was told Adam West would be a jerk but he was really fun to talk too.

Guess I'll find out. Really hope it turns out he isn't. I'm hoping they'll be selling the documentary there during the premiere. There's three days of films but pulling of the world premiere with Savini was a huge coup for them.

I know that he's often selling stuff of his at cons. Heard his TCM Pt.2 Leatherface masks are quite nice.

Criterion7 21st August 2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert W (Post 267578)
I know that he's often selling stuff of his at cons. Heard his TCM Pt.2 Leatherface masks are quite nice.

I'd seriously love to have something of his. That would definitely be a jewel of my collection. Being a serious Friday fan it would be great o get something from that. TCM mask though is tempting.

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 21st August 2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert W (Post 267574)

I've had the pleasure of meeting Tom Savini a handful of times since I was really young. All but once was he outstanding and friendly. The one time he seemed unpleasant I chalked it up to him having an off day for some reason or another. Everyone has bad days.
Even that one time he was a little standoffish he loosened up and he happily chatted with me for quite awhile.
I had the Japanese Zombie Dawn of the Dead figure of him to sign.
He claimed he never saw it before and chuckled something about not getting money from the company that made them.
I would love to chat with him again, he's a great story teller.

Criterion7 15th September 2012 05:18 AM

Met Savini today about as far from being a jerk as you can get. Great guy, we talked about his directing, trying to get Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things remade and his early work with Clark and Ormsby. Talkative and fun guy. Got an autograph and he posed or a few pics. Highly recommend seeing him if he comes to your town.

demonknight 15th September 2012 03:51 PM

Never met the man,but i love his work.Can't wait for his new doc,smoke and
mirrors,to surface.

Criterion7 16th September 2012 05:09 AM

Just got back from the World Premiere. He says he still wants to tweak and trim it but I honestly thought it was extremely well done. It's very candid and as I spoke with him more after the screenings realized what a humble guy he is.

I cannot recommend ths movie highly enough and also he has a new book coming out, plus his two early Grande Illusions books are being combined to make one large one.

Rik 16th September 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 273730)
Just got back from the World Premiere. He says he still wants to tweak and trim it but I honestly thought it was extremely well done. It's very candid and as I spoke with him more after the screenings realized what a humble guy he is.

I cannot recommend ths movie highly enough and also he has a new book coming out, plus his two early Grande Illusions books are being combined to make one large one.

I have the Grande Illusions 2 book, I can never seem to find book 1 anywhere for a reasonable price though. I can't wait to see the new doc, he's been one of my idols for years, so jealous that you managed to sit and chat with him

Susan Foreman 29th March 2021 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Legendary Special Effects Artist Tom Savini Hospitalized / web is jericho

"Sadly the Sultan of Splatter is currently in a bad way, having been hit by a car while riding his bicycle this past Thursday. He would share this unfortunate news on his social media this weekend and also took the time to thank the police and paramedics for their help. He would follow up this news by posting several photos of him at the UPMC Presbyterian hospital in his hometown of Pittsburgh, where he is bedbound wearing a neck brace."

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th March 2021 06:39 PM

Bloody hell!
Looks like one of his own jobs!

Inspector Abberline 29th March 2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 648867)
Bloody hell!
Looks like one of his own jobs!

On one of the extras of the New UK Land of the dead blu Ray, Savini turns up on set with a similar head wound, can't remember how he did it that time.... hope he recovers soon...

nosferatu42 29th March 2021 09:01 PM

Whats with the lights on the neck brace, has he got wi fi on that?