LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2010, 06:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
i ****ing love Tom Atkins....His Ray Cameron from Night Of The Creeps is my favourite of his roles...
Finished watching this late last night.Yeah,he was good in that as well.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 1st October 2010, 01:05 AM
Cultist in Training

I thought he was great in the My Bloody Valentine remake. The movie itself is actually very good IMO.
Old 1st October 2010, 09:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

This actor should be a lot more famous by now, he's a great actor. A natural. I'm a fan of Tom Atkins myself...
Old 1st October 2010, 05:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
I was very upset when the MANIAC COP chucked Tom out the window. NOT COOL.
Too true, particularly as Tom's likeable performance is the best thing about the movie.
Old 1st October 2010, 05:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
Too true, particularly as Tom's likeable performance is the best thing about the movie.
Yeah, he was one of the highlights of the movie, I agree. Don't forget about Jay Chattaway's brilliant score though, really sad and haunting, and Larry Cohen wrote the scripts for those movies too. I like some of Cohen's films...
I liked Tom Atkins in HALLOWEEN 3 too, a film that I didn't like at all when I was younger, but I really like the film now. It must of been the lack of Michael Myer's....
Old 1st October 2010, 06:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

You're right about Chattaway's score, though I still think his masterpiece is the music to "Maniac".
"Maniac Cop" is allright, but I always felt it's not quite as good as it could have been, not only because of Tom Atkin's untimely exit (I like a surprise or two, but not when they concern a film's most likeable character).

He has a pretty thankless role in "Lethal Weapon", though his "confession scene" is one of the film's highlights.

I liked his turn in "My Bloody Valentine 3D" too, particularly his scenes with Kevin Tighe. Good to see character actors like these in modern slashers- though they'd deserve more screen time.
Old 1st October 2010, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter neal View Post
you're right about chattaway's score, though i still think his masterpiece is the music to "maniac".
"maniac cop" is allright, but i always felt it's not quite as good as it could have been, not only because of tom atkin's untimely exit (i like a surprise or two, but not when they concern a film's most likeable character).

He has a pretty thankless role in "lethal weapon", though his "confession scene" is one of the film's highlights.

I liked his turn in "my bloody valentine 3d" too, particularly his scenes with kevin tighe. Good to see character actors like these in modern slashers- though they'd deserve more screen time.
The best thing about "MANIAC" was the score. The commentary was a good laugh, i recommend that. It features Bill Lustic, Tom Savini, Luke Walters, and the films editor. It tickled me in places this did. Those Caroline Munro scenes in the film did'nt work at all, it was laughable really. And the scene featuring the maniac and Munro enjoying dinner together at a "Clam" restaurant. It has to be seen to be believed, it's like some sort of joke. It's very funny though. I do miss not seeing Joe Spinell appearing in films these day's. A sad end to a fine actor...

Last edited by Mahoney32; 2nd October 2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 1st October 2010, 09:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great to see Mr Atkins has a lot of fans!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
i ****ing love Tom Atkins....His Ray Cameron from Night Of The Creeps is my favourite of his roles...
Mine too and the actor delivers some nice lines in this little gem of a film.

"What is this? A homicide or a bad B-movie?"

A fine performer and vastly underrated imo.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:30 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Every one of his lines in NOTC is a classic.

"Well well well, if it isn't spanky and alfalfa"
"Zombies, exploding heads, creepy-crawlies... and a date for the formal. This is classic, Spanky"

Like this? Share it using the links below!