Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th December 2009, 08:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default Worst Horrors of the '00s

"Best of" lists are always fun, but so are "Worst of" lists- as long as they're simply taken for what they are: A fan's/critc's subjektive take on the genre.

For instance, I liked the "Halloween" and even the "Friday, the 13th" remakes, still I know those two are featuring prominently on the "Worst of" lists of many other horror fans.

The 00s were a great decade for the genre, particularly for those who experienced first hand the "dire years" of the late 80's/90's.

As I do my best to avoid the flicks I have a feeling about not liking in the first place, getting a "top 10 of the worst" together will be a toughie...so I'll leave it at a "Worst 5"....

In no particular order:

"Halloween: Resurrection" (2002)

"Halloween H20" had wrapped up the original series quite nicely.
This unneccesary and very forced 8th. installment KILLED the "Halloween" franchise for good...a remake was the only way to go from here!

"April Fool's Day" (2008)

I wasn't exactly a fan of the original to begin with, but this poor, suspenseless redux managed to make the 80's version look even halfway decent by comparison.
You'll be hard presed to find a teen "slasher" with less likeable characters

"Cry_Wolf" (2005)

This will only work for people who don't mind "surprise" revelations in the tradition of "April Fool's Day"...

"Cradle of Fear" (2001)

I rarely felt so insulted and angered after a "genre movie", as this ill fated "anthology's" idea about "horror" is that of an adolescent 13 year old goth with a lot of "attitude" and no artistic talent or taste whatsoever...

"American Psycho 2" (2002)

No suspense, gore, laughs or remotely interesting characters, this "sequel" was a bad idea to begin with- and its execution is even worse...

Last edited by Peter Neal; 26th December 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 25th December 2009, 08:48 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
The 00s were a great decade for the genre, particularly for those who experienced first hand the "dire years" of the late 80's/90's.
I experienced first hand the so-called 'dire years of the late 80's/90's', and in my opinion the noughties has been without doubt the blandest and most unimaginative era of the lot.
Old 26th December 2009, 12:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Zombieween (halloween remake)
friday the 13th remake
the eye remake
one missed call remake
saw 4,5,6

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 26th December 2009, 10:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I experienced first hand the so-called 'dire years of the late 80's/90's', and in my opinion the noughties has been without doubt the blandest and most unimaginative era of the lot.
While I respect your personal opinion, I think the vast amount and variety of mainstream and independent/niche genre product put out in the "noughties" internationally, introducing us to horror from quarters of the world we'd never thought of before as harbouring genre film makers, compared to the sparse, (mostly) DTV- and almost always "cut-to-an-R" (before being trimmed further by the UK, German or Scandinavian censors) selection of rental horror titles on a 90's video store's shelf, is still making a strong case for the 90's being the lamest period in horror.

Mind you, I don't doubt it for a minute that today's genre output would also pale in my memory if I've had the chance to watch all those classic nasties in handy double bills at the cinema in the 70's/early 80's.
Those were the days only a few lucky ones of us could have experienced first hand.

Horror will undoubtedly go into slumber again in the very foreseeable future and I don't doubt it that I'll be hardly impressed with the trends and tastes, which'll shape its rebirth at some point in the 2030s-40s.....but still, my disliking of the dominating popular horror staples of the next "horror boom" will hardly count as a meter for the genre's overall impact/quality/popularity/presence.
Old 26th December 2009, 01:30 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
"Halloween: Resurrecion" (2002)
Just remembered this film.

God, it's terrible. Definately one of the worst movies I've seen for a long time (10 years infact, haha)
Old 26th December 2009, 07:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Worst....

HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION
AMERICAN PSYCHO 2
FRIDAY THE 13TH REMAKE
THE FOG REMAKE
AMITYVILLE HORROR REMAKE
EXORCIST THE BEGINING-DOMINION was a far superior film.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th December 2009, 11:14 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
THE FOG REMAKE
John Carpenter should be given a huge slap for having anything to do with this piece of crap.Honestly,what was he thinking?
Old 27th December 2009, 11:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Needed some moolah I expect mate...can't think of any other reason.

However,the worst attrocity ever inflicted on the movie going public,in any decade since film began has to be the remake of.......

THE WICKER MAN

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm going to go with:

Scar 3D
Prom Night
Captivity
Ghost Ship

All three had potential, and resources, but they epically managed to f*ck them all up.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Torture Me No More
Nekromentia

Like this? Share it using the links below!