Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > House on the Edge of the Park
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree125Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2011, 08:38 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Any news from the BBFC yet?
Not yet. I believe the plan is to send it before an advisory board, as was done with Cannibal Holocaust, before submitting it for formal classification. I think the Deodato edit of CH needs to be formally submitted first so once that's done, more attention should be turned to House on the Edge of the Park.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Don't think i'll be double dipping on this one as i have the excellent AWE release.
And after the way that the BBFC rejected 'Human Centipede 2' i'm a bit sceptical this will be released completely uncut anyway.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
They haven't finished their seance yet. They want to get Ferman's opinion from beyond the veil of death.

You know, as bad as censorship was under Ferman, he was like the pantomime villain who we all loved to hate. I still think it sad he died so young. Do you think watching all those uncut horror films expedited his exit from this world?
It would have if the two-faced Git ever ran into me
Old 17th June 2011, 12:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Don't think i'll be double dipping on this one as i have the excellent AWE release.
And after the way that the BBFC rejected 'Human Centipede 2' i'm a bit sceptical this will be released completely uncut anyway.
There's no skin grafting with sexual elements in House on the Edge of the Park, so we might be okay. Unless there's some alternate footage in which Alex sews his victims together that I don't know about...

I think it's going to have to be a case of wait and see. But I think putting it before the advisory board first seems like a wise move, that worked out well for Cannibal Holoacust, so who knows?
Old 30th June 2011, 12:19 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Just to give everyone here a heads up - the release date for House on the Edge of the Park has been put back to 31 October 2011. There is so much work going into Cannibal Holocaust it was just not feasible to release them both on the same date.

This way you get the best possible release of both films!
Old 30th June 2011, 12:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Halloween eh? Seems as good a time as any
Old 30th June 2011, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Interesting replies, thank you.

On the one hand I despise the scene and think it is a huge, deeply offensive error of judgment on the part of time of budgetarily constrained film-makers. It's Ortolani's "inappropriate" music that troubles me the most, the images are consistent with the film around it (if a bit too "lush" for such subject matter).

...and yet...it is precisely this jarring juxtaposition of "romance" and "rape" that makes it one of the most horrifying rape scenes in the whole of cinema. It could be that it is an interesting, unique approach to get across the horror of sexual violence - as powerful in it's very different way to the brutal, cold, hard-edged "bad trip" visuals and pounding music of, for example, the rape of the nun in Bad Lieutenant.

Or it could be that the subtleties were an accidental effect. the "rush job" nature of the film is apparent throughout, so did/could they have worked out such subtle meaning to one scene when the rest of the film is just (to my eyes, I am not the biggest fan of the picture) brutish exploitation.

If nothing else, it makes you think, and that is what I think films ought to do.

Again, thanks for the responses.
Ortolani did this a few times though, didn't he? Scoring brutal scenes with beautiful/haunting music, which was completely at odds with the accompanying violent onscreen imagery. Adulteress' Punishment from Cannibal Holocaust and the wonderful music underscoring Florinda Bolkan being beaten to death by four men in Don't Torture A Duckling spring immediately to mind :

Pete likes this.
Old 30th June 2011, 02:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
the release date for House on the Edge of the Park has been put back to 31 October 2011.!
The date seems somewhat appropriate for a film like that, doesn't!?
Old 30th June 2011, 02:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Ortolani did this a few times though, didn't he? Scoring brutal scenes with beautiful/haunting music, which was completely at odds with the accompanying violent onscreen imagery. Adulteress' Punishment from Cannibal Holocaust and the wonderful music underscoring Florinda Bolkan being beaten to death by four men in Don't Torture A Duckling spring immediately to mind :

I think the juxtaposition of the orchestral music with brutal violence seems to exaggerate the horror and I think it's the silence with the cars driving past at the end which makes that scene even more effective.
trench likes this.
Old 1st July 2011, 02:49 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Ortolani did this a few times though, didn't he? Scoring brutal scenes with beautiful/haunting music, which was completely at odds with the accompanying violent onscreen imagery. Adulteress' Punishment from Cannibal Holocaust and the wonderful music underscoring Florinda Bolkan being beaten to death by four men in Don't Torture A Duckling spring immediately to mind
I think the power is that instead of exciting music, Ortolani turns the tables on the viewers, and instead of instilling a sense of excitement in the viewer, he chooses, and quite rightly so, to portray man's inhumanity to man as something sad. It works extremely well. This is one of the reasons why Cannibal Holocaust isn't an out-and-out exploitation film. The violence is haunting and sad to watch and, contrary to a Hollywood film, it isn't presented in an exciting MTV style with a pounding soundtrack to pump up the adrenaline. It stays with you, though, far more than the casual violence that peppers Hollywood action/horror films.
trench likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!