Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > House on the Edge of the Park
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2011, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Make sure you watch the XXX version..
stefanmetal likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 18th September 2011, 01:16 PM
Cult Rookie

I've owned the R1 Shriek Show DVD now for nearly 9 years so the only way i'd buy it again for the film is if it was uncut on Blu-Ray but i would buy this release if there's a feature length documentary included i've double dipped on other films for that reason alone.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:46 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Well, we all knew this was going to be a challenging work for the BBFC.mostly due to its very ambiguous nature. It's undoubtedly eploitation, but motives and intent are very unclear within the film, so I can imagine there was much deliberation and head-scratching at Soho Square.

Still, kudos to Shameless for challenging the verdict. 1min 20secs is still quite hefty in terms of cinematic exposition.

Good luck with the appeal. guys.
Bobz likes this.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm quite impressed how sensible and grown up ths thread is. People that understand and appreciate that the cuts were nearly inevitable and why they've been suggested, rather than pitchfork waving "you're not getting my money" negativity. Shameless have definitely gone out on a limb with this, so they should be applauded for attempting releases of NYR, CH and this and giving the censors something to think about, rather than derided for ultimately releasing versions as close to the bone as have ever been released here in the UK.

Good luck with the appeal, let's hope they reduce them some more (or drop them entirely!)
Old 19th September 2011, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I'm sure they'll be a few 'I told you so' posts in this thread so if you don't like the version Shameless will be releasing then don't buy it and winge somewhere else
This was my first post in this thread, maybe the people with a complaint took my advice

Violence is Italian Art
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th September 2011, 01:20 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

As you all know, last week Shameless appealed the BBFC’s decision to cut House on the Edge of the Park by 80 seconds. In a landmark victory, the BBFC have agreed to waive 37 seconds of these cuts to the sex scene between Alex and Lisa which had previously been cut due to the questionability of whether or not Lisa is enjoying her ordeal. As we are all readily aware, scenes of this nature have been cut and those cuts upheld by the BBFC in the past so to have them waived is a landmark moment not only for Shameless, but also for the history of UK censorship.

Shameless would like to thank its fans for the show of support on these forums, while I’m sure all of us at Cult Labs would like to congratulate Shameless on an appeal well fought.

House on the Edge of the Park will be available on DVD from 31 October. More details on special features (including those dedicated to the film’s censorship history) will be announced soon.
Old 20th September 2011, 01:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I totally missed that the initial decision had come in, so this successful appeal is the first I have heard on the matter.

I can't believe that I am about to sound like I am sympathising with the BBFC, but that "rape?" scene bothers me a lot, so I can understand why it was a difficult one for them. That they have reconsidered is a hopeful sign.

So, censorship is still annoying, but this is a HUGE improvement in matters regarding this film in the UK. Well done Shameless.
Sarah@Cult Labs and Beyond72 like this.
Old 20th September 2011, 01:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
As you all know, last week Shameless appealed the BBFC’s decision to cut House on the Edge of the Park by 80 seconds. In a landmark victory, the BBFC have agreed to waive 37 seconds of these cuts to the sex scene between Alex and Lisa which had previously been cut due to the questionability of whether or not Lisa is enjoying her ordeal. As we are all readily aware, scenes of this nature have been cut and those cuts upheld by the BBFC in the past so to have them waived is a landmark moment not only for Shameless, but also for the history of UK censorship.

Shameless would like to thank its fans for the show of support on these forums, while I’m sure all of us at Cult Labs would like to congratulate Shameless on an appeal well fought.

House on the Edge of the Park will be available on DVD from 31 October. More details on special features (including those dedicated to the film’s censorship history) will be announced soon.
It's a great result for Shameless....now how about resubmitting Venus in Furs
Old 20th September 2011, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Sorry ... but I can't think of that as a victory. The film is still cut 43 seconds and I'll take a pass on that release. I'll buy an uncut Blu-ray but not a censored version on DVD.
Old 20th September 2011, 01:52 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playzocker View Post
Sorry ... but I can't think of that as a victory. The film is still cut 43 seconds and I'll take a pass on that release. I'll buy an uncut Blu-ray but not a censored version on DVD.
Fair enough, it's up to you how you spend your money and yes, the film is still cut by 43 seconds.

But, that's 11 minutes of cuts restored since it was submitted in 2002 - that says the BBFC has come a long way in less than a decade. The fact that they've waived some cuts in the appeal also says the BBFC is willing to re-examine films and change their minds. That also says they've come a long way.

Yes, it's not a completely uncut version of the film but it still represents a major step for both the BBFC and UK distributors.

Like this? Share it using the links below!