Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Lags & Screws Of Wentworth > The Inmates
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The~Governor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2012, 11:52 AM
Cultist

Default Nora Flynn

Many really hated her, and although I wasn't a huge fan of her, I am actually quite glad of her introduction as TD. The reason being that Myra and Bea were very similar...and although I really liked both of them characters, it was refreshing to have a different style, even though she was rather boring.

She was the exact opposite to them two, which changed the whole dynamic of the show...for the worse it may be argued, and I would tend to agree, but still...I like that the writers tried this new approach.

I think she would have been better as a stand-alone character, though...as opposed to TD. It would have been nice to see her character more without being TD because she actually did have quite an interesting start in the show, what with the whole being a falsely accused child abuser (or was it murderer? I forget)...that part of her story seemed to be quickly forgotten about once she took over the reigns as TD.

I did love a couple of the stand-off scenes between her and Lou, most notably the scene where Lou is working the press and Nola arrives....and Lou quickly hands it over to her, LOL. I wouldn't really have thought she would have been a match for Lou in all honesty, but she did at least have popularity with the women to back her up.

I disliked how she was written out, too....but I hear it had to be done since the actress became ill so had to be written out unexpectedly. I would liked to have seen how her character developed and I don't think she was quite as bad as many seem to suggest.
Old 21st January 2013, 07:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Oh god the Barnhurst 5 love or hate them
Julie I liked
May I liked
Daphne I kind tolerated but if she had jumped off the roof I would not be tearing up.
Willie until her last two episodes and her return I detested her.
Nora I liked and did not like her leaving story I agree she would have been better as a stand alone character but all that council stuff got on mine and
Lou's nerves.
Was glad when it was all over and we got Rita but it was not an unwatchable period just not to a lot of people's including mines taste.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:15 PM
Cultist

Daphne - Loved
Chook - Liked
Mae - Liked, or could take her or leave her...
Nora - Liked
Willie - The same as you, liked her on her return but couldn't stand her prior to that. Waaay over the top, even for me. lol.
Old 8th March 2013, 03:53 AM
Cult Rookie

I hated all of the B5, at the point they arrived to fill up the empty cells, you only had the choice of watch them or switch off.

Who cared about their offscreen past.

Nora way of running TD mention just The Council (Sit down and talk)
Daphne was another just Doreen/Mareen replacement, but was the most annoying of the 3.
May and Wille, useless (But May was strong, she should of been the replacement for TD)

It was only the interesting lives of the officers that kept me watching. (Joan and Terri's relationship - Joyce/Merv, etc.).

I was relieved when it finally cut down to B5 to B1, but fell even better when Julie the last of the 5 left (althought it was a sad leaving), as Julie was always painful reminder of that painful cast reshuttle in mid 1985!.
Old 8th March 2013, 08:06 AM
Cultist

Daphne - LOATHED
Julie - Indifferent
Auntie May - LIKED
Willie - LIKED
Nora - Indifferent

Overall, the barnhurst 5 were not as bad as people generally make out IMO
ScottishMermaid likes this.
Old 16th March 2013, 04:08 PM
Cult Rookie

I liked May and Willie. Nora and Julie were OK. Never liked Daphne much, but re-watching that era on DVD recently, she's much better than I remembered her.

BUT

Jenny Hartley was awful. Pippa Reynolds was awful. I could take or leave Ettie, I guess. Joyce and Merv were OK, but the show didn't need comic relief whilst May and Willie were in it. Lou seems to be a shadow of her former self now Myra's gone. Lexie turns into something really unlikeable. And the storylines are all slow and uninvolving.

Apart from the Factory/Tracey Morris period, the Barnhurst 5 era has to be the least interesting time for the show.
Old 17th March 2013, 03:51 AM
Cultist

My personal least interesting time was the time when Nola McKenzie was just about to leave and we have that AWFUL Lainie and Allen/Ellen story. That was the most depressing era in the history of Wentworth. I was so happy when it ended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!