Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Lags & Screws Of Wentworth > The Inmates

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2011, 03:14 PM
Cultist in Training

Default Lizzziiiieeee!!

Just watching Episode 42. Lizzie has figured out that Doreen framed Lynn so she'd be refused Parole, and would stay with her, still reeling from the loss of Frankie. However when Lynne comes back, Doreen tells her that it was Lizzie who framed her. Lizzie doesn't deny this, leaving Lynn to hate her, while Doreen listens on knowing it's really her she's angry at and Lizzie is taking it.

I've been watching from the first episode again lately and that is the most powerful thing I've seen yet.

I love Lizzie!
Old 27th February 2011, 12:07 PM
Cultist in Training

Great scene, Phantom Lagger! I can't agree more - I've just recently watched the very same episodes and I could almost have cried watching this moment. I know that Prisoner has a lot of comedy value but scenes like this are very special indeed. More excellent acting from Sheila Florance (who I would have loved to met) and some brilliant writing there too.

I also love Lizzie!!
Old 28th February 2011, 03:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@OnTheInside View Post
Great scene, Phantom Lagger! I can't agree more - I've just recently watched the very same episodes and I could almost have cried watching this moment. I know that Prisoner has a lot of comedy value but scenes like this are very special indeed. More excellent acting from Sheila Florance (who I would have loved to met) and some brilliant writing there too.

I also love Lizzie!!
I've always thought that the actors of Prisoner have been given short shrift when it has come to their acting abilities. There has been many a time when the story hasn't been too hot but I have been totally sucked into the episode based on the power of the acting. Fair enough, it wasn't all Richard III but it was a lot better than people give it credit for.
Old 28th February 2011, 09:11 PM
Cult Rookie

I remember that episode and have just watched it myself too and was heartbroken! Lizzie was such a great character and the late great Sheila Florence played her So well rounded that her comedic turns were laugh out loud funny and her sad moments had you reaching for the tissues.

A few of my favourite Lizzie moments are:

The Forgotten Birthday and Surprise Party - I can watch this episode over and over again!

Frankie steals Lizzie's Teeth - "you nicked my teeth ya rotten bitch! Give em back!"

Lizzie's attempts to get herself banged up again!

Whenever Lizzie was drunk! Sheila Florence could play inebriated like no one else!

The heartbreak of when she sees Bea transferred to Barnhurst in episode 400!!

There are many more and Sheila Florence is sadly missed. Wherever you are. Thank you for giving us the Diamond in the Rough. Elizabeth Josephine Birdsworth and the immortal line "well bugger me gently"!
YouLilRipper likes this.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:40 AM
Cult Addict

[QUOTE=ChrissyJM;131895]

Whenever Lizzie was drunk! Sheila Florence could play inebriated like no one else!

QUOTE]

You are right, Sheila could play a drunk like no other on the show. Either she had previous experience or she had been around a few before(IMO). There is a clip in the clips section (funnily enough!) where she is lying on her bed after having a few 'sips' of the prison made grog and it is priceless! You could really believe that she was totally inebriated.
Old 1st March 2011, 01:55 PM
Cultist in Training

I can't post clips yet, but I just watched a superb one of Lizzie drunk. The more of her I watch, and the more I find out about Sheila, the more amazing she is becoming. I like to think I can act, but watching that scene makes me realise how much work she must have put in to that character.

I'm surprised she was only 75 when she died - Lizzie always seems much older, but when you figure she lived through World War II, She had a lot of life experiences.
Old 1st March 2011, 05:20 PM
Cult Addict

Her face certainly did have that 'Lived-in' look.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:18 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Is it terrible that a grown man was just about reduced to tears at lizzies birthday party on the volume 5 dvds?
Old 19th March 2011, 09:35 AM
Cult Rookie

It's not terrible cos I did the same - both times I watched it lol
Old 19th March 2011, 12:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Is it terrible that a grown man was just about reduced to tears at lizzies birthday party on the volume 5 dvds?
But seriously, after re-watching Prisoner I have a whole heap of respect for Lizzie. Sheila Florance gives a masterful performance. The way she plays the character is almost child like in my eyes. You could call her the oldest kid in the pound.
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!