Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Manhattan Baby (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   SHAM008 - Manhattan Baby (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/manhattan-baby/122-sham008-manhattan-baby.html)

Jonny 1st February 2008 10:06 PM

Looking through some stuff tonight and found a lobby card signed by Brigita Bocoll... No idea where I got it!!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...abyBBocoll.jpg

Almar@Cult Labs 1st February 2008 10:31 PM

That is one freaky freaky picture!

That would have been nice to have that on the DVD - 'click here for something scary'

Mojo 22nd April 2008 09:02 PM

I like this Fulci. I mean, I know it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but the 'feel' of it reminds me of Fulci's glory days.

By the way, I had the ABUS disc, but upgraded it to the Shameless release - the picture quality is much better, believe me. Another Shameless success! :)

JAMIOUSE 23rd April 2008 06:27 PM

I've been waiting for someone to say the picture quality of the Shameless release is better than Anchor Bays. When the Zavvi promotion starts I think I'll be picking it up. :D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd April 2008 07:10 PM

I have a spare one unopened for trade if you like,amazon cocked up my order with Ratman....not really fussed what you've got .....if you're interested pm me.....btw,I got rid of ABUS version in favour of the Shameless one,sharper picture,I reckon...

Peter Neal 24th April 2008 07:48 PM

Manhattan Baby

The recent "Shameless" release finally convinced me to give this Fulci a go.
I've been basically avoiding this due to probably one of the worst choices of a title for a horror movie I've ever come across, because - for real! -what could you really expect from a film dubbed "Manhattan Baby"? A comedy? A drama? Some softsex bore for late night tv? Or may be a mix of one or two or all of the before mentioned options?
Surely enough, it's not what you'd most liley expect from the director of "New York Ripper", but it certainly offers an interesting challenge to the viewer:
"Are you into Fulci solely for the gore, or do you really appreciate the maestro's unique brand of atmosphere?"....that's the question you'll probably find the answer to while watching "Manhattan Baby".
It doesn't really make any less sense than the likes of "The Beyond" (with which this shares huge amounts of its soundtrack) or "The House By the Cemetary" (Hell, it even gives you another appearance of "Bob", but with a slightly less annoying dubing voice), but it cuts back heavily on the splatter front. There's basically only one typical Fulci-esque gore set piece including some bird action of the vicious kind.
Still, it oozes with THAT special breed of mood only Fulci could create at the height of his commercial "Spaghetti Splatter" period, including those creepy blind eyes you learned to fear in "The Beyond" and a wealth of musical tunes and sound effects from other Fulci faves.
You'll probably not rewatch it as often as ZFE etc, but "Manhattan Baby" is just the right kind of medicine when you'd like to get a piece of early 80's Italian genre magic, but could do without the excessive gore and violence for an hour or two.

mark meakin 25th April 2008 04:31 PM

Not one of his best but it's certainly far better than Anaegma & Demonia.Entertainment On Video released this during the period where their releases had fantastic cover artwork notably the sleeves of The New Barbarians & Bronx Warrior films.

siccoyote 26th April 2008 02:24 PM

Anyone got a comparison between the two releases? Just wondering.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th July 2008 06:09 PM

Finally watched this last night.I could never get into it when I had the ABUS disc,but kudos to Shameless on a pristine print,I found the picture much clearer and brighter -far more pleasurable on the eye than the ab version.:cool:

bedorca 8th July 2008 08:31 PM

Thats the spirit Reaps...............proper Yellow follower :woot: