Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Manhattan Baby

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2008, 10:06 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Looking through some stuff tonight and found a lobby card signed by Brigita Bocoll... No idea where I got it!!

Old 1st February 2008, 10:31 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

That is one freaky freaky picture!

That would have been nice to have that on the DVD - 'click here for something scary'
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

I like this Fulci. I mean, I know it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but the 'feel' of it reminds me of Fulci's glory days.

By the way, I had the ABUS disc, but upgraded it to the Shameless release - the picture quality is much better, believe me. Another Shameless success!
Old 23rd April 2008, 06:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've been waiting for someone to say the picture quality of the Shameless release is better than Anchor Bays. When the Zavvi promotion starts I think I'll be picking it up.
Old 23rd April 2008, 07:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have a spare one unopened for trade if you like,amazon cocked up my order with Ratman....not really fussed what you've got .....if you're interested pm me.....btw,I got rid of ABUS version in favour of the Shameless one,sharper picture,I reckon...
Old 24th April 2008, 07:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Manhattan Baby

The recent "Shameless" release finally convinced me to give this Fulci a go.
I've been basically avoiding this due to probably one of the worst choices of a title for a horror movie I've ever come across, because - for real! -what could you really expect from a film dubbed "Manhattan Baby"? A comedy? A drama? Some softsex bore for late night tv? Or may be a mix of one or two or all of the before mentioned options?
Surely enough, it's not what you'd most liley expect from the director of "New York Ripper", but it certainly offers an interesting challenge to the viewer:
"Are you into Fulci solely for the gore, or do you really appreciate the maestro's unique brand of atmosphere?"....that's the question you'll probably find the answer to while watching "Manhattan Baby".
It doesn't really make any less sense than the likes of "The Beyond" (with which this shares huge amounts of its soundtrack) or "The House By the Cemetary" (Hell, it even gives you another appearance of "Bob", but with a slightly less annoying dubing voice), but it cuts back heavily on the splatter front. There's basically only one typical Fulci-esque gore set piece including some bird action of the vicious kind.
Still, it oozes with THAT special breed of mood only Fulci could create at the height of his commercial "Spaghetti Splatter" period, including those creepy blind eyes you learned to fear in "The Beyond" and a wealth of musical tunes and sound effects from other Fulci faves.
You'll probably not rewatch it as often as ZFE etc, but "Manhattan Baby" is just the right kind of medicine when you'd like to get a piece of early 80's Italian genre magic, but could do without the excessive gore and violence for an hour or two.

Old 25th April 2008, 04:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Not one of his best but it's certainly far better than Anaegma & Demonia.Entertainment On Video released this during the period where their releases had fantastic cover artwork notably the sleeves of The New Barbarians & Bronx Warrior films.
Old 26th April 2008, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Send a message via MSN to siccoyote

Anyone got a comparison between the two releases? Just wondering.
Old 8th July 2008, 06:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Finally watched this last night.I could never get into it when I had the ABUS disc,but kudos to Shameless on a pristine print,I found the picture much clearer and brighter -far more pleasurable on the eye than the ab version.
Old 8th July 2008, 08:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Thats the spirit Reaps...............proper Yellow follower

Like this? Share it using the links below!