Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2010, 05:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
"Executive Decision" has a small cut at the start and a few censored 'we can't annoy the Muslims' moments where they remove a few religious lines of dialogue and a praying scene.
Was those last cuts mentioned there to do with the BBFC? Because I've heard about the cuts before but sounds like strange cuts for the BBFC to make if they did.
Old 26th February 2010, 06:03 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Was those last cuts mentioned there to do with the BBFC? Because I've heard about the cuts before but sounds like strange cuts for the BBFC to make if they did.
Don;t think they are no. As I think the Australian print is the same (though they may have used the BBFC version).
Not sure. In this country i wouldn't be that surprised.

It seems no other country's prints cut such material out.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:10 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
Wan't it still cut though as per the 'R' version? I'm sure even the R1 DVD is still the cut 'R' version.
Yep the UK cinema version was the US theatrical print. The BBFC simply shredded it further for video and there it remains until rescued by a seagull-loving distributor.

The UK DVD's of Under Siege, Nico, The Glimmer Man, On Deadly Ground and Marked For Death are still the post-BBFC cut prints though one cut (an arm break) was restored in the DVD of the latter.

Executive Decision is a weird one. The Australian release does seem to be the UK print (the stabbings are cut) but as Angel says the praying scene is a strange thing for the BBFC to have cut in 1996.
Old 16th March 2010, 06:22 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I bought Bloodsport II in Poundland the other day and it would seem as though the BBFC have either waived cut of the double earclap to the fight at the end of the movie or the company releasing it didn't bother to get it re-certified (I'm guessing the latter).It's just a pity the cover looks like it's been photocopied in someones home.Very cheap and nasty looking,although I'm not surprised with it only being £1.
Old 16th March 2010, 09:41 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The BBFC haven't seen it since 1996 so it's likely the release is unauthorised.
Old 17th March 2010, 01:19 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Even the UK releases of films such as Pulp Fiction and Face/Off are still the cut prints.
The cuts to Face/Off were waived for the last DVD release, weren't they? The scene with the butterfly knife was certainly intact, as far as I recall.
Old 17th March 2010, 07:53 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
The cuts to Face/Off were waived for the last DVD release, weren't they? The scene with the butterfly knife was certainly intact, as far as I recall.
Buena Vistas last submission (in 2009 according to the BBFC) is still cut,(same runtime as before) and someone on dvdcompare has confirmed from the BBFC that the blu-ray is cut.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Executive Decision is a weird one. The Australian release does seem to be the UK print (the stabbings are cut) but as Angel says the praying scene is a strange thing for the BBFC to have cut in 1996.
To my knowledge, there are some alterations between the US and "international version" of "Executive Decision", the latter softening/loosing some of the more obvious bashing of "islamists":

Here's a comparison between the 2 versions with pics, unfortunately the texts are in German only and "movie-censorship.com!" just seems to feature the comparison between the BBFC 15 and international version:

"R-Rated" vs "international version:

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schni...php?ID=2965833

"BBFC 15" vs "international version":

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=999646
Old 17th March 2010, 10:46 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
unfortunately the texts are in German only and "movie-censorship.com!" just seems to feature the comparison between the BBFC 15 and international version:
A comparison in English can be found here.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:20 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

As much as I despise animal cruelty in films I would like to see an amendment or restructuring of the Animals Act. The 1949 Robert Mitchum film The Red Pony has just been cut for the first time in its history due to this act (video versions were intact incidentally), yet Pink Flamingos was finally passed uncut despite featuring the killing of a chicken during a sex scene. In other words an animal can be killed in front of the camera (albeit quickly) but not treated cruelly, which I find incomprehensible at times.

Under this act it means that a film such as Greta Garbo's Anna Karenina (filmed in 1935) can NEVER be passed uncut again in the UK (the cast & crew are long since deceased), due to it containing a horsefall scene, unless the Act is amended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!