Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree1285Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2013, 07:38 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Punk rock never grows old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (1).jpg (8.8 KB, 1 views)
Nordicdusk and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 16th September 2013, 07:44 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Punk rock never grows old.
Two of my heros growing up
Old 16th September 2013, 07:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone read Spray Paint the Wall: The Story of Black Flag . I loved Henry Rollins' Get In The Van so much, I'd like to read this one... I used to have a stack of Maximum RocknRoll's when I was a kid, I wish I kept them...

Old 16th September 2013, 07:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Anyone read Spray Paint the Wall: The Story of Black Flag . I loved Henry Rollins' Get In The Van so much, I'd like to read this one... I used to have a stack of Maximum RocknRoll's when I was a kid, I wish I kept them...

Not read that but i love Get In The Van also.
Old 16th September 2013, 07:54 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

I've not read it but keep looking at it. "Get in the Van" is great and the Black Flag gig I went to gets a mention in the text, sadly for the wrong reasons. BF walked off stage as hoards of skins launched chairs at them! They should have copied Bad Brains, when I saw them the local skins started with loads of Nazi shit, BB leapt off stage and beat the f*ck out of them.

In fact, I can't remember a punk gig in my home town that didn't end in carnage.
Wes and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 16th September 2013, 07:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Rollins is a great guy. He did a great Invisible Jukebox test for The Wire magazine a few years ago (where a musician is asked to ID some tracks without knowing what they are), and Rollins lets rip about favourite music - electric era Miles Davis, his collection of Einsturzende Neubauten live tapes, listening to Reign in Blood full blast on a car stereo driving down Santa Monica boulevard with Rick Rubin... just great stories...
Nordicdusk and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 16th September 2013, 07:57 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I've not read it but keep looking at it. "Get in the Van" is great and the Black Flag gig I went to gets a mention in the text, sadly for the wrong reasons. BF walked off stage as hoards of skins launched chairs at them! They should have copied Bad Brains, when I saw them the local skins started with loads of Nazi shit, BB leapt off stage and beat the f*ck out of them.

In fact, I can't remember a punk gig in my home town that didn't end in carnage.
Running with the Punk theme my next group of pics was gonna be Bad Brains.
Old 16th September 2013, 07:59 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Rollins is a great guy. He did a great Invisible Jukebox test for The Wire magazine a few years ago (where a musician is asked to ID some tracks without knowing what they are), and Rollins lets rip about favourite music - electric era Miles Davis, his collection of Einsturzende Neubauten live tapes, listening to Reign in Blood full blast on a car stereo driving down Santa Monica boulevard with Rick Rubin... just great stories...
His spoken word gigs are great the man has so many fantastic stories and he is such a funny guy.
Old 16th September 2013, 08:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I can't remember which of his books it is in were he talks about not wanting kids in case they like shit music and he would be forced to make the kids burn the records whilst listening to James Brown. I kind of have that relationship with my kids. Now free from Mrs MTDS we are exploring loads of different stuff rather than having the brain draining radio on.
Wes and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 16th September 2013, 08:15 PM
Cult Master

Bad Brains

3463230065_c015364f8c.jpg BAD_BRAINS-CBGB,NYC-2006.jpg Bad+Brains+07.jpg Bad+Brains+++Rock+For+Light.jpg Bad+Brains++circa+1981.jpg badbrains.jpg BadBrains-1.jpg bad-brains-010.jpg HardArt-8.jpg

I remember as a teenager i was on holidays for two weeks in Blackpool yes Blackpool

Anyway i went into HMV and picked up Bad Brains Rock For Light and it blew my young mind. Such aggression and anger mixed with such mellow laid back numbers between all the madness. I always have fond memories of that album and that holiday which Rock For Light became the soundtrack for.

Like this? Share it using the links below!