Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   Music Related Pics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11293-music-related-pics.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th March 2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 568971)
The NME has been shite for the last 20 years, back in the mid 90’s I used to buy it and Melody Maker every Wednesday, when they were still in large paper format and had free cassettes cellotaped to the cover :nod:

It was shite then as well. Full of indie wank. No self respecting Maiden fan would be seen dead with a copy of NME given the reviews they dished out on them.

Susan Foreman 10th March 2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 568971)
The NME has been shite for the last 20 years, back in the mid 90’s I used to buy it and Melody Maker every Wednesday, when they were still in large paper format and had free cassettes cellotaped to the cover :nod:

I was always a Record Mirror and Sounds person myself (alongside Kerrang and The Dark Side!)

Rik 10th March 2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 568973)
It was shite then as well. Full of indie wank. No self respecting Maiden fan would be seen dead with a copy of NME given the reviews they dished out on them.

That’s what I was listening to back then, Indie wank :lol:

Fell out of love with Maiden when Bruce left and didn’t really listen to a lot of metal, you could say I was following the trend of the time. None of my mates were into metal, they all liked Oasis etc so I spent the back half of the 90’s listening to that kind of stuff a lot, which is how my guitar playing style developed, mimicking the playing of John Squire from the Stone Roses who to this day is my second biggest influence after Hendrix.
Now, it’s the exact opposite, I rarely listen to Indie music at all these days, unlike all my old school mates who still go watch bands like Shed Seven and local lads Embrace :nod:

Demoncrat 10th March 2018 03:10 PM

:lol:
I find it rather fitting that the NME is 'passing' not long after MES' demise. Seeing as they pilfered from him wholesale ... ahem. The interview with him, Nick Cave & Shane Magowan still makes me laugh ... so a grudging RIP I suppose.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th March 2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 568976)
That’s what I was listening to back then, Indie wank :lol:

Fell out of love with Maiden when Bruce left and didn’t really listen to a lot of metal, you could say I was following the trend of the time. None of my mates were into metal, they all liked Oasis etc so I spent the back half of the 90’s listening to that kind of stuff a lot, which is how my guitar playing style developed, mimicking the playing of John Squire from the Stone Roses who to this day is my second biggest influence after Hendrix.
Now, it’s the exact opposite, I rarely listen to Indie music at all these days, unlike all my old school mates who still go watch bands like Shed Seven and local lads Embrace :nod:

I know someone who went to the Embrace album launch bash recently.

Have you got that new Hendrix album, Rik? What's it like?

Rik 10th March 2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 568979)

I haven’t got the CD yet, but I’ve got it saved on Spotify to listen to while commuting this week

Prince_Vajda 10th March 2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 568979)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 568998)
I haven’t got the CD yet, but I’ve got it saved on Spotify to listen to while commuting this week

Two excellent blues songs (Things I Used To Do, Georgia Blues), a few pretty nice rockers (Lover Man, Steppin' Stone, $20 Fine, Power of Soul), and one outstanding track: Send My Love to Linda. The latter is 15 seconds of Spanish guitar at the beginning and two minutes of badass hard rock at the end. The two minutes in between are basically the blueprint of (unplugged) Seattle Grunge.

Jimi Hendrix was a genius. :rockon:

Susan Foreman 19th March 2018 07:41 PM

You either get this, or you don't!

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2018 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 569665)

Is that David Hess?

Susan Foreman 19th March 2018 08:00 PM

You don't get it!

It's Bob Dylan