Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree1264Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521  
Old 10th March 2018, 02:45 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The NME has been shite for the last 20 years, back in the mid 90ís I used to buy it and Melody Maker every Wednesday, when they were still in large paper format and had free cassettes cellotaped to the cover
It was shite then as well. Full of indie wank. No self respecting Maiden fan would be seen dead with a copy of NME given the reviews they dished out on them.
Rik likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 10th March 2018, 03:05 PM
Susan Foreman's Avatar
Cult Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Basil Fawlty country: The English Riviera
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The NME has been shite for the last 20 years, back in the mid 90ís I used to buy it and Melody Maker every Wednesday, when they were still in large paper format and had free cassettes cellotaped to the cover
I was always a Record Mirror and Sounds person myself (alongside Kerrang and The Dark Side!)
Demoncrat likes this.
__________________
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 10th March 2018, 03:09 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is online now
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It was shite then as well. Full of indie wank. No self respecting Maiden fan would be seen dead with a copy of NME given the reviews they dished out on them.

Thatís what I was listening to back then, Indie wank

Fell out of love with Maiden when Bruce left and didnít really listen to a lot of metal, you could say I was following the trend of the time. None of my mates were into metal, they all liked Oasis etc so I spent the back half of the 90ís listening to that kind of stuff a lot, which is how my guitar playing style developed, mimicking the playing of John Squire from the Stone Roses who to this day is my second biggest influence after Hendrix.
Now, itís the exact opposite, I rarely listen to Indie music at all these days, unlike all my old school mates who still go watch bands like Shed Seven and local lads Embrace
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 10th March 2018, 03:10 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default


I find it rather fitting that the NME is 'passing' not long after MES' demise. Seeing as they pilfered from him wholesale ... ahem. The interview with him, Nick Cave & Shane Magowan still makes me laugh ... so a grudging RIP I suppose.
__________________



"It's come off!"

"I'm no philosopher ... I'm the guy .. who gets the firewood"
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 10th March 2018, 03:16 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Thatís what I was listening to back then, Indie wank

Fell out of love with Maiden when Bruce left and didnít really listen to a lot of metal, you could say I was following the trend of the time. None of my mates were into metal, they all liked Oasis etc so I spent the back half of the 90ís listening to that kind of stuff a lot, which is how my guitar playing style developed, mimicking the playing of John Squire from the Stone Roses who to this day is my second biggest influence after Hendrix.
Now, itís the exact opposite, I rarely listen to Indie music at all these days, unlike all my old school mates who still go watch bands like Shed Seven and local lads Embrace
I know someone who went to the Embrace album launch bash recently.

Have you got that new Hendrix album, Rik? What's it like?
Rik likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 10th March 2018, 04:30 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is online now
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I know someone who went to the Embrace album launch bash recently.



Have you got that new Hendrix album, Rik? What's it like?

I havenít got the CD yet, but Iíve got it saved on Spotify to listen to while commuting this week
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 10th March 2018, 07:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I know someone who went to the Embrace album launch bash recently.

Have you got that new Hendrix album, Rik? What's it like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I haven’t got the CD yet, but I’ve got it saved on Spotify to listen to while commuting this week
Two excellent blues songs (Things I Used To Do, Georgia Blues), a few pretty nice rockers (Lover Man, Steppin' Stone, $20 Fine, Power of Soul), and one outstanding track: Send My Love to Linda. The latter is 15 seconds of Spanish guitar at the beginning and two minutes of badass hard rock at the end. The two minutes in between are basically the blueprint of (unplugged) Seattle Grunge.

Jimi Hendrix was a genius.
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 19th March 2018, 07:41 PM
Susan Foreman's Avatar
Cult Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Basil Fawlty country: The English Riviera
Default

You either get this, or you don't!

Demoncrat likes this.
__________________
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 19th March 2018, 07:42 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
You either get this, or you don't!

Is that David Hess?
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 19th March 2018, 08:00 PM
Susan Foreman's Avatar
Cult Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Basil Fawlty country: The English Riviera
Default

You don't get it!

It's Bob Dylan
__________________
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.