Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Alice Cooper Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11713-alice-cooper-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 22nd December 2018 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 594608)
Ol' Blue Eyes and Ol' Black Eyes.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That was taken when Sinatra played a concert at The Hollywood Bowl in 1977

Persistent rumour has it...that Frank performed a cover of 'You And Me' from 'Go To Hell' at this show, but there is no proof of this, and it is probably just a story Alice 'invented' as a publicity stunt

Frank Sinatra | Sinatra Performed Cooper Song As A Personal Thank You | Contactmusic.com

However, it is true that Frank recorded and performed a song with the same title in either 1978 or 1979, but this is a different tune that was written by Peter Allen and Carole Bayer Sager

Susan Foreman 22nd December 2018 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 591717)
Rare footage from an Alice concert at the Théâtre des Ambassadeurs in Paris on November 2nd, 1971 during the “Love It To Death” tour. There is also a short interview segment for French TV about his musical inspiration and the sources of his image

Is It My Body
Interview
Ballad of Dwight Fry

The second part of this feature

Interview
Black Juju

Susan Foreman 25th December 2018 07:16 AM

Susan Foreman 30th December 2018 07:54 AM

New Alice Q&A in 'The Guardian'

The musician, 70, on avoiding politics, cheating at golf and having understanding parents

"The first thing I ever remember was my mother changing me at a bus stop. I was so embarrassed. Of course, I was 14 at the time. I jest. I was probably about two years old.

I was a church kid. I went every Wednesday night, Friday night, all day Sunday. My family had no problem with rock’n’roll. My parents were actually champion jitterbuggers in their day. It was the lifestyle they were concerned about. The drugs. The sleeping around. And they had a point. It was only when I got sober and had seen all my friends die that I realised they had a point. I’m making the best records I’ve ever made and my health is fantastic. I didn’t need that other stuff.

My mother lives with me. She’s a tiger. She’s 95 and is my biggest fan. If you say anything bad about Alice Cooper, she’ll be on top of you. I was lucky to get the parents I did.

I don’t like to mix politics and rock’n’roll. I don’t look at Bono, Sting and Bruce Springsteen as political. I look at them as being humanitarian. I’ll contribute to anything humanitarian. Helping people who can’t help themselves. But when musicians are telling people who to vote for, I think that’s an abuse of power. You’re telling your fans not to think for themselves, just to think like you. Rock’n’roll is about freedom – and that’s not freedom.

I want my shows to take you as far away as possible from politics. It’s supposed to be an escape from the world we’re living in. And you know the next president is going to be worse than Trump, right?

I love playing with the Hollywood Vampires. It’s the band I do with Johnny Depp and Joe Perry from Aerosmith. I was doing a movie with Johnny, Dark Shadows, at Pinewood Studios and I was telling him about the original Hollywood Vampires, at my old drinking club at [legendary LA music haunt] the Rainbow in the 70s. There was Keith Moon, Bob Brown, Ringo Starr, Micky Dolenz, Harry Nilsson, John Lennon if he was in town… Basically, if you drank you were there. So we decided to form a band to play tribute to our dead friends and the songs they can’t play anymore. We do T. Rex songs, Who songs, Small Faces…

Here’s the thing about golf. There are people who are purists about golf and then there’s me and my friends. We play for fun and sometimes that means cheating. People have asked me if Trump cheats at golf – they all do. Bush, Clinton, Obama. They’re just having fun!"

Susan Foreman 2nd January 2019 07:01 AM

January 2nd, 1969. Led Zeppelin, with support from The Alice Cooper Group, appear at The Whisky-A-Go-Go club on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, California

Although Zeppelin had recorded their debut album, it had yet to be released in the US, meaning they were pretty much unknown in the States, although some people would have remembered Jimmy Page from being in The Yardbirds. Similarly, 'Pretties For You', the first album from the ACG was not yet available either

It seems that, as was usual for the time, it was a simple coin toss that dictated which band went on stage first. Zeppelin won, so they got the 'headline' slot. However, it appears that these dates, which should have run between Jan 2nd - Jan 5th, were curtailed 'when a number of Led Zeppelin members got flu' and the band were replaced by The Buddy Miles Express. This has been questioned though, and it's been suggested that actually Zeppelin were being upstaged by the support group, and were unable to complete with their 'theatrics and feathers'

Although no definite setlist for these shows exists, it's thought that the ACG played:
  • No Longer Umpire
  • Reflected
  • 10 Minutes Before the Worm
  • Sing Low, Sweet Cheerio
  • B.B. on Mars
  • Fields of Regret
  • Nobody Likes Me
  • Don't Blow Your Mind

What has been documented is that the Zeppelin set consisted of:
  • Train Kept A-Rollin'
  • I Can't Quit You Baby
  • Dazed and Confused
  • As Long as I Have You
  • Killing Floor
  • White Summer/Black Mountain Side
  • You Shook Me
  • How Many More Times
  • Communication Breakdown

Susan Foreman 3rd January 2019 06:25 AM

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

According to Joe Perry in an interview with Ultimate Guitar, the new Hollywood Vampires album has finished being recorded, and is currently at the mixing stage ready for release

The band are hoping to play some shows 'sometime in the summer'!

Susan Foreman 3rd January 2019 06:33 AM

Not actually sure what is going on here, but...

Wonder Woman herself, Lynda Carter, on stage with Alice's band in Maui on December 31st, 2018 performing a cover of the Black Keys song 'Lonely Boy'

Susan Foreman 9th January 2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 594340)
Poster design for the 2019 tour

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 594597)
The one I saw on Twitter had black marks, like a redacted document on some dates and he (or his social media person) said more dates will be anounced in the new year

Presumably this is the picture you are referring to

Quote:

Hopefully a string of UK dates

I hope the dates which have been blacked out are not the ones when they will be coming to the UK. It would make sense for them to be dates in mainland Europe - France, Germany, Holland, Belgium etc

The UK needs a block of dates at the end of October so that it covers the Halloween period!

Quote:

I'd love a theatre tour this time around, Manchester Apollo instead of the MEN Arena.

By my reckoning, the last time Alice played the smaller venues was on the Theatre Of Death tour in 2009 where he appeared at:
  • Manchester Apollo, Manchester
  • Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow
  • Newcastle City Hall, Newcastle
  • Sheffield City Hall, Sheffield
  • Swindon Oasis, Swindon
  • Civic Hall, Wolverhampton
  • Plymouth Pavilions, Plymouth
  • Nottingham Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham
  • Brighton Centre, Brighton
  • Hammersmith Apollo, London

Prior to that, it would have been the Brutal Planet tour in 2000
  • Newport Centre
  • Sheffield City Hall
  • Manchester Apollo
  • Newcastle City Hall
  • Glasgow Barrowlands
  • Portsmouth Guildhall
  • London Apollo Hammersmith
  • Nottingham Royal Concert Hall

SymbioticFunction 9th January 2019 01:00 PM

My wife and I did actually see him at Sheffield City Hall before Theatre of Death and quite a bit after the Brutal Planet tour. Unfortunately I can't recall the year but I'm pretty sure that it was almost exactly the same setlist as on the Live at Montreux blu-ray/dvd which gives some indication of the time period. So there was also another smaller venue tour prior to Theatre of Death.

Justin101 9th January 2019 02:46 PM

No More Mr Nice Guy tour 2011 and Raise the Dead in 2012 were both Theatre tours as well, Spend the Night was the following tour and that was the Arena one.