Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Alice Cooper Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11713-alice-cooper-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 1st November 2019 03:52 PM

Alice and Vincent

'Welcome To My Nightmare' from 1975

Susan Foreman 2nd November 2019 07:00 AM

The Vampires perform 'I Want My Now' on 'The Late Show With James Corden', October 31st, 2019

Susan Foreman 3rd November 2019 05:58 AM

There is an interesting new interview in The Tampa Bay Times

"Alice Cooper, man of 1,000 stories, psyched for spooky Tampa Bay shows

The shock-rocking raconteur will hobnob with fans at Tampa’s Spooky Empire convention, then bring his horror show to Ruth Eckerd Hall.

Don’t let the freaky facade fool you. Alice Cooper, the world’s nicest villain, is a people person.

He loves meeting fans. He really loves meeting other celebrities. And at 71, he still loves talking about his wildly entertaining career with anyone willing to listen.

“Every time I do an interview, there’s so much to talk about,” the Hall of Fame shock rocker said by phone recently from his home in Phoenix. “My show, and my career, has been so colorful that it’s not like, ‘Well, we stood up there and looked at our shoes and played a blues show. ...’ Every single night’s Halloween with us! For 50 years!”

Starting this Halloween, we might as well declare it Alice Cooper Week in Tampa Bay. On Friday and Saturday, he’ll appear at the Spooky Empire horror convention in Tampa, signing autographs, taking photos and sharing some of his endless Hollywood stories in a Q&A with fans. Then, after a few shows around Florida, he’ll return for a Nov. 7 concert at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater.

Every so often, readers ask me who’s my favorite celebrity to interview, and my answer is almost always Alice Cooper. This time around, we covered Elton John, the Manson family, flying panties and signing severed heads, all in under 20 minutes. There really is no one better.

What does one get out of meeting you at a horror convention that they don’t get at an Alice Cooper show?

Generally, I don’t ever talk to the audience. The “Alice Cooper” character is a very arrogant, condescending villain. At the very end of the show, he says, “Okay, now it’s time for Alice to talk to you!” This is a moment when people come up and bring whatever they want me to sign. They’ll say, “I saw you in 1978!” “I saw you in ’74!” “I saw you in ’82!” Everybody gets that moment with you. I’m very open with people, so I don’t just sign it and say get lost. I spend a little time with each person. I listen to all these little stories.

The cool thing about it is backstage. You’re in a big green room, sitting there, and you go, “Oh my gosh, there’s Captain Kirk!" "Wow, that guy’s on Ghost Hunters! I watch that every week! I’ve got to go talk to him!” I’m a TV addict and movie addict, so I especially enjoy it. I really do like these people. I really want to meet them. I could sit and talk to Shatner all day.

What’s your favorite thing you’ve ever been asked to sign?

Oh, man. Some people bring things that I look at and go, “Are you kidding me? I threw that in the audience in 1971!” They say, “Yeah, I know, my dad caught it.” It might have been a sword, it might have been a head. In our show, it could be anything. Then somebody will bring something and I’ll go, “Oh my gosh, where did you get this? That’s a belt I used to wear! Can I buy that back from you?” “No.”

You seem to have a connection to every celebrity. Is there anyone you’d like to meet but never have?

You know, I’ve only met Dylan one time. I went backstage with a couple of guys and all we talked about was boxing. And everybody I know knows Dylan. Johnny Depp knows him really well. Joe Perry knows him. And he had a radio show where he played Alice Cooper all the time. One time, in a Rolling Stone article, he said, “Alice Cooper is the most underrated songwriter.” I just went, Holy crap! I didn’t even think he knew I was alive. But what a great compliment. I wouldn’t mind spending some time with Bob Dylan.

But you met him. That’s more than most people get with Bob Dylan. Is there anybody you’ve never actually met?

I honestly can’t think of anybody in this business. I mean, recently, they come and go so quick that I don’t really know any of them. But the classics? I’ve met everybody. I can’t think of one that I didn’t spend some time ...

Oh yeah! Okay, one. Tom Petty. Never met Tom Petty. Isn’t that weird? And very easy to talk to, from what I understand. Knew my work well, I knew his work well, we just never were in the same room at the same time.

Did you see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood?

I loved it. Every single location, I knew exactly where that was. We used to live in Topanga Canyon, the band did, and we would go down to the General Store to pick up our mail and beer. We saw the Manson girls all the time down there. They were these little hippie girls with no shoes on, dancing around. After the Manson murders happened, we looked at each other and went, “Those are those little high school girls we saw!” Because it wasn’t that far from Spahn Ranch. I would imagine Manson was probably there, and he just looked like a hippie. At the time, nobody would have given him a second look.

I read you were neighbors with the late Ric Ocasek. Is that true?

He was my next-door neighbor. We had a house on the very top of Benedict Canyon, and to the left of me was the John Barrymore house, where the Barrymores lived. Well, of course, they were all gone. Ric Ocasek lived there. On the right side was Elton. Elton lived in this house that looked like a French library, it was so big. When my house burned down — I had just bought the house — Elton was an eyewitness, going, “I smelled the smoke, hoping that Alice wasn’t in the house. ...” I always joked that I would go over every once in a while and borrow a cup of diamonds.

I don’t know if you’ve seen Elton’s new memoir, but he wrote that when he saw Bernie Taupin’s name next to yours in the credits to From the Inside, he felt jealous.

Yeah, I know. I know he got a little bit jealous. Well, you know, when we did the Hollywood Bowl show (in 1972), in the front row was Elton and Bernie. That was before I really knew them that well. We had a helicopter drop thousands of pairs of panties on the audience. He was up there grabbing them, trying to get them. He was like one of the fans. And I think him seeing that show had something to do with (his style). Because at that time, he was not really flamboyant. He was a really cool piano player, and all that. When he saw that show, it might have opened him up to the idea of, Let’s make Elton more of a rock Liberace! Which he should be! That was exactly right for him. I won’t take credit for it, but I have a feeling it did give him a license to explore a more theatrical world."

Susan Foreman 6th November 2019 07:53 PM

For this year’s Black Friday, Alice Cooper’s BILLION DOLLAR BABIES LIVE will be available on vinyl for the first time! Recorded live at Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston, Texas on April 28, 1973, this exclusive release will be limited to 6,000 units worldwide.

The release, which has previously been released as the second disc of the Billion Dollar Babies Deluxe edition CD, has the following track listing:

Side A: A1. “Hello Hooray (live)”, A2. “Billion Dollar Babies (live)”, A3. “Elected (live)”, A4. “I’m Eighteen (live)”, A5. “Raped and Freezin’ (live)”, A6. “No More Mr. Nice Guy (live)”
Side B: - B1. “My Stars (live)”, B2. “Unfinished Sweet (live)”, B3. “Sick Things (live)”, B4. “Dead Babies (live)”, B5. “I Love The Dead (live)”

Also included in the vinyl release is an additional bonus 7” single, consisting of:

Side C: “School’s Out”, Side D: “Under My Wheels”

Susan Foreman 17th November 2019 07:14 PM

November 17th, 1978 - the 'From The Inside' album, my favourite Alice LP, is released

Susan Foreman 18th November 2019 12:16 PM

Hollywood Vampires 2020 European dates

Nowt in the UK (at the moment)

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th November 2019 10:58 PM

New video

Hollywood Vampires - I Want My Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-qAWbr__cg

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd November 2019 04:14 PM

Alice gets a good live review in the latest Classic Rock.

Susan Foreman 26th November 2019 03:12 PM

Susan Foreman 27th November 2019 07:54 PM

New interview at Blabbermouth

"ALICE COOPER On Forthcoming Album: 'It Will Definitely Have A Lot Of Different Flavors In It That We Don't Normally Go To'

Rock legend Alice Cooper recently spoke with Kyle Meredith of Consequence Of Sound

On the recently released "Breadcrumbs" EP:

Alice: "It's about Detroit. It's all Detroit players. All the songs are from Detroit players or about Detroit. It's hometown for me, so we just figured that we would do a tip of the hat to my hometown and came out with some interesting things... There's a certain amount of R&B that's built into these players. Even if they're playing hard rock, there's just a taste of R&B in there, and I can hear it on these tracks, which makes it different from anything else I've done."

On the "Detroit sound":

Alice: "I think if you really want to take it back, it goes back to the fact that most of these kids' parents worked in the auto business. They worked in the factories, and everybody was sort of middle-class or lower-middle-class and kind of had the same upbringing. They don't want to hear soft rock. They want to hear something that gets them going. They want to hear the horsepower. It's like having a muscle car. That's the kind of mentality it is. If you're Seals & Croft, when we lived in Detroit, you're just going to die out there, but if you're a hard rock band with attitude and energy like MC5 or Iggy [Pop] or ALICE or any of those bands, then you're home free there. It's always been like that — it's just always been the hard rock capital of the United States... I still feel that when I go Detroit, it still has the same feel. Rock bands are rock bands there. Jack White has got this certain attitude in his music that's purely Detroit, and that's what makes it so cool. I just did a thing with him, and I said, 'It's really hard not to sound like Detroit if you're from Detroit.' He said, 'You're right.' It's really, really true."

On "Go Man Go", the new original song on "Breadcrumbs":

Alice: "When [producer] Bob [Ezrin] and I write together, we go right back to the source of everything. That's just what we are. If you take rock n' roll back to very essence of it, we're all Chuck Berry. Chuck Berry was what we all learned first, and that includes THE BEATLES and THE ROLLING STONES and everybody else. He was really the guy that put guitar rock on the map, and we just took it from there and turned it into something else."

On the status of his forthcoming record:

Alice: "We've done all the [musical] bed tracks already. The bed tracks are done. We did them all in Detroit, and now we're going to be doing the vocals in Phoenix, just because I'm between tours at the time and I've got some days off in Phoenix. I said, 'I really have to be home for a few days, so let's do the vocals in Phoenix instead of going back to Detroit for the vocals.' The essence of the songs are all done, ready to go."

On whether "Breadcrumbs" should be taken as a preview of what's to come:

Alice: "That was the whole idea — 'Breadcrumbs' was sort of, like, leading you into the next album. It's all original stuff. The new album is all original stuff. The original [ALICE COOPER] BAND is going to be playing on it — the O.G.'s, we call them. The original guys. There's two or three songs that we wrote with the original guys, and they're pure Detroit... We're probably more Detroit than we are L.A. or Phoenix or anyplace else. We go to a lot of places that we wouldn't normally go, because we're working with writers that we normally don't work with, and I kind of like that. I like breaking out of the mode where an ALICE COOPER album sounds like an ALICE COOPER album. This will sound like an ALICE COOPER album, but it will definitely have a lot of different flavors in it that we don't normally go to. It was like that with the [HOLLYWOOD] VAMPIRES album. When 'Rise' came out, Johnny [Depp] did most of the writing on it — Johnny and Tommy [Henriksen], my other guitar player. Instead of me going into these songs – like, they sent the songs to me and sent them to Joe [Perry]. Joe and I decided, 'If we get real involved with this, it's going to sound like ALICE COOPER or AEROSMITH, so let's not do what we would normally do to our songs. Let's let it be what it is. That's what made that album original-sounding — the fact that we didn't go in and do surgery on those songs. We let it be what it was when Johnny wrote them. I did a few vocal things, lyric things and everything like that, but I said, 'If I start getting involved in arranging on this album, it's going to end up sounding like me, and I don't want the VAMPIRES to sound like ALICE."

"Breadcrumbs" was released in September via earMUSIC."