Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Alice Cooper Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11713-alice-cooper-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th February 2021 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 646024)
So have I - Amazon £15:99

Do you have any other Alice live DVD's, or will this be your first one?

I've also got Trashes the World and Theater of Death.

I keep meaning to pick up the Brutal Planet tour dvd but not got round to it.

Are there any must haves, Susan?

Justin101 11th February 2021 12:11 PM

Trashes... is fantastic, his band on that tour was great.

Personal fav is The Nightmare Returns from '86. Brutally Live is a good one though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th February 2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 646040)
Trashes... is fantastic, his band on that tour was great.

Personal fav is The Nightmare Returns from '86. Brutally Live is a good one though.

I had The Nightmare Returns on vhs. Is it out on disc?

Justin101 11th February 2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 646041)
I had The Nightmare Returns on vhs. Is it out on disc?

It is yes, it has a crappy cover though. I had the VHS as well, it was an 18 cert, I had to get my mum to buy t for me :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th February 2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 646043)
It is yes, it has a crappy cover though. I had the VHS as well, it was an 18 cert, I had to get my mum to buy t for me :lol:

I recall when i got it that He's Back wasn't part of the show. Thought that was extremely disappointing. I loved the green cover though.

SymbioticFunction 11th February 2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 646040)
Brutally Live is a good one though.

I was actually at that concert, it was FAR too quiet a gig. Not sure what they were thinking? I also recall not being very surprised at the crowd heckling the drummer after his rather boring, never ending drum solo. I think originally it was supposed to be called 'Live From the Brutal Planet.' Changing the title to 'Brutally Live' was an inspired move (considering that the drummer was told to feck off).

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th February 2021 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This used to be my favourite t-shirt. A girlfriend who went to see the Raise Your Fist and Yell tour brought it back for me.

I wore it down the pub and for loads of gigs. Being white the material wasn't as durable as the black ones (not sure why) and it only lasted a few years before it began to get holes in around the neck. Probably through folks grabbing hold of you during Skid Row shows. :lol:

Justin101 11th February 2021 12:38 PM

I wonder if it was quiet due to the recording equipment? Although I'm sure they don't turn it down for other concert films... weird!

Last 2 times I saw Alice it wasn't particularly loud but I wouldn't say it was too quiet either. As for drum solos, I'm rarely impressed, I guess they're designed to give the singer a break during a longer set.

SymbioticFunction 11th February 2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 646049)
I wonder if it was quiet due to the recording equipment? Although I'm sure they don't turn it down for other concert films... weird!

Last 2 times I saw Alice it wasn't particularly loud but I wouldn't say it was too quiet either. As for drum solos, I'm rarely impressed, I guess they're designed to give the singer a break during a longer set.

The odd thing is that a friend went to another Brutal Planet show and apparently it was very loud. It is weird.

Susan Foreman 11th February 2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 646035)
I've also got Trashes the World and Theater of Death.

I keep meaning to pick up the Brutal Planet tour dvd but not got round to it.

Are there any must haves, Susan?

OFFICIAL live releases are:
  • Good To See You Again, Alice Cooper - The Alice Cooper Group on the 'Billion Dollar Babies' tour in 1973. Recommended if you want to see that band when they were 'the most dangerous act in the world'
  • Welcome To My Nightmare - There are two versions of this. The original release features the full 1975 concert, while the re-issue version has an edited concert, but includes the television special 'The Nightmare'. As a completest, I have both version, but I don't know which one to recommend to someone who had neither!
  • The Strange Case Of Alice Cooper is from the 1979 'Madhouse Rocks' tour, promoting the 'From The Inside' LP. Recommended, and highly theatrical, but it features a very ill looking Alice (this was just before he went into rehab for his drinking) and is only available as a region 1 release
  • The Nightmare Returns - One of the best and highly recommended. It's genuinely the only music DVD which has resulted in me having a nightmare after watching it! [It was the 'Teenage Frankenstein' for anyone who is wondering]
  • Trashes The World - To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with this one. A great band and a fun song selection, but (for me) there was *something* missing
  • Brutally Live - Recommended. One of the best
  • Live At Montreaux 2005 - A fun show, but the show is more than half way through before the theatrics happen
  • Theatre Of Death - The one show I would recommend to anyone. If my house was on fire, this is the DVD I would save
  • Raise The Dead: Wacken 2014 - Entertaining, but nothing really special