Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th January 2022, 07:51 AM
Cult Master

Alice has just started the latest US leg of the 'Detroit Stories / Ol Black Eyes Is Back' tour

As far as I am aware, there are no changes in the line-up of the current touring band - Alice (vocals), Nita Strauss (guitar), Ryan Roxie (guitar), Tommy Henriksen (guitar), Chuck Garric (bass), Glen Sobel (drums) and Sheryl Cooper (dancer)

The setlist for the opening show at The Andrew J. Brady Icon Music Center in Cincinnati, Ohio on January 28th was also unchanged from last year:
  • Intro: Years Ago
  • Intro: Nightmare Castle
  • Feed My Frankenstein
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • Bed of Nails
  • Hey Stoopid
  • Fallen in Love
  • Go Man Go
  • Under My Wheels
  • He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)
  • Rock & Roll (The Velvet Underground cover)
  • I'm Eighteen
  • Poison
  • Billion Dollar Babies
  • Roses on White Lace
  • My Stars
  • Devil's Food
  • Black Widow Jam
  • Steven
  • Dead Babies
  • I Love the Dead
  • Escape
  • Teenage Frankenstein
  • School's Out / Another Brick In The Wall

which leads me to suppose that the stage show is the same as well, although (as we have seen with previous tours), there could be changes made in the coming weeks

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st February 2022, 07:12 AM
Cult Master

New article at Classic Rock

"Alice Cooper releases spooky spoken word record, says he’s working on two new albums

Alice Cooper is currently working on his 29th and 30th studio albums simultaneously, and has just released a new spoken word record

Where most 73-year-olds might start looking to ease up a little on their work commitments, legendary shock rocker Alice Cooper is still beavering away, with no sign of him hanging up the whip and cane any time soon. Of course, we're incredibly thankful for his persistence, even more so now after learning that he's working on not one, but two new albums – his 29th and 30th, simultaneously.

Moreover, the artist formerly known as Vincent Furnier has just released a spoken word record, entitled Alice Cooper and the Tome of Madness, which finds him reading a 16-minute horror tale. The project was issued via rock and metal licensing company Metal Department, and arrives on a 12" vinyl disc.

The release is a companion effort to the licensee's 2021 online slots game that shares the same name.

The …Tome of Madness record is available on black or yellow vinyl in a limited edition of 500 copies each, and can be ordered from the Metal Department site.

As for his upcoming two releases, Cooper recently spoke on Eddie Trunk’s Sirius XM radio show Trunk Nation to share details on his current recording plans, as well as revealing what fans can expect from his two new offerings.

“I’m working on two albums right now,” he began. "One is… totally written, and we’ll be doing bed tracks for that one pretty soon. The other one is just a touch in the future, but that’s being written right now too.

“They’re two entirely different kinds of albums, but they’re Alice Cooper, pure rock’n’roll albums,” he continued. "“The two albums will really be hard rock albums.”

The two albums follows 2021's Detroit Stories, released in February. His next release is scheduled to arrive sometime this year.

If that wasn't enough to keep Cooper busy, he's also heading off on a joint headline tour with The Cult later this year, as well as performing at a selection of festivals, including the Monsters of Rock cruise."

Old 4th February 2022, 01:53 PM
Cult Master

74 today

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Birthday.jpg (96.5 KB, 1 views)

Old 7th February 2022, 11:43 AM
Cult Master

The Daily Star celebrates Alice's birthday

"Alice Cooper's life - 'death pact' with wife, chicken head 'biting' and secret career

Rock star Alice Cooper has turned 74, and his wild life has included celebrity drinking clubs, Hollywood supergroups, and the notorious 'chicken-head-biting' incident on stage

Alice Cooper is one of the most famous rock stars of all time, but sometimes his life away from the stage has been as dramatic as his shock-inspired concerts.

Branded The Godfather of Shock Rock, Cooper was known for dazzling fans with terrifying props at his music concerts, from electric chairs and guillotines to reptiles and even baby dolls.

Of course, there was also that one infamous gig incident with a chicken that has become etched into rock history - although not all of the gory details were true.

To celebrate the musician's 74th birthday, Daily Star has dug into the wild life of Alice Cooper

Alcohol battle

Like many of his fellow rock stars, the School's Out singer struggled with alcohol abuse back in the day, and his booze battle peaked in the 1970s and early 80s.

He opened up about his alcohol addiction in his audiobook - Who I Really Am: Diary of a Vampire - where he explained he tried "many cures, lots of different doctors, lots of different methods, nothing worked."

Cooper, who was born Vincent Damon Furnier, confessed he used to cry before playing his shows as he knew how much he would need to drink in order to finish the gig.

He said: "It just kept getting worse. I loved doing the show, I hated doing the show. I loved my life, but I hated my life. I could be so much better than this.

The singer went on: "I was drinking more and more. I would get to the show, I would look at my costume lying out, I would remember crying, looking at it, knowing what I had to do in order to get that show done."

He found it a "nightmare" having to get into costume, but he "felt great" once he was singing on stage.

However, he managed to overcome his alcohol problems in the mid 1980s, and he's since become something of a mentor for other rock stars with addiction issues.

In 2008, he even won the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award at a MusiCares MAP Fund charity concert in LA.

'Death pact' with wife

Cooper has been happily married to his wife Sheryl Goddard for 43 years - after they tied the knot in March 1976.

Dancer and choreographer Sheryl was even part of the Alice Cooper show from 1975 and 1982.

In 2009, he appeared to reveal he had a death pact with Cheryl when he told the Mirror: "We’ve made a pact – there is no way of surviving without each other."

The smitten singer went on: "I couldn’t live without her. We always said there will never be a time when one of us will be mourning the other. Whenever it does happen, we are going to go together.

"I’ve been married 43 years to the greatest girl in the world. We have never cheated on each other."

However, he later clarified that he didn't have a literal "death pact" with his wife.

Cooper said: "We love life so much. What I was meaning was that because we're almost always together, at home and on the road, that if something did happen to either of us, we'd most likely be together at the time."

Hollywood Band

Alice Cooper is also part of a star-studded supergroup called Hollywood Vampires - and its members include Hollywood hunk Johnny Depp.

Formed in 2012, the band's name came from a celebrity drinking club of the same name formed by Cooper in the 1970s - which he shared with the likes of Beatles legends Ringo Starr and Keith Moon.

The band have released two studio albums so far and played at glam events like the Grammy Awards.

Secret restaurant career

Fans might be forgiven for not knowing that the rock star is an avid restauranteur.

He opened his Phoenix-based eatery, called Alicecooper'stown, in 1998.

It used to serve free meals to children in need every Christmas, and featured walls lined with rock and sports memorabilia.

Sadly, it closed down in October 2017.

However, the singer does have a line of hot sauce which is available to buy online.

Notorious chicken incident

Alice Cooper's infamous chicken incident spread like wildfire in the tabloid press, but it's become something of an urban myth as it seems not all the details are actually true.

As the story went, Alice Cooper and his band were playing on stage at the 1969 Toronto Rock 'n' Roll Revival festival when a member of the audience lobbed a chicken onto the stage.

Newspapers splashed the gory version of the story which alleged that Cooper bit off the head of the chicken and drank its blood during the gig.

However, the rocker has confirmed multiple times that it's not true.

Telling the tale himself, Alice said: "Somebody threw a chicken on stage. This was in Toronto and I’m from Detroit. I’ve never been on a farm in my life and I said, ‘It’s a chicken, it’s got wings, it’ll fly.’

"So I threw it back to the audience, I thought it was gonna fly away. It went right at the audience and they tore it to pieces and threw the parts back on stage.

"The next thing I knew, it was ‘Alice Cooper bites the head off a chicken and drinks the blood.’ That’s what the papers said the next day. I got a call from Frank Zappa and he says, ‘Did you do that?’ I said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘Don’t tell anybody that. They love it.'""

Old 11th February 2022, 04:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Alice has just started the latest US leg of the 'Detroit Stories / Ol Black Eyes Is Back' tour

The setlist for the opening show at The Andrew J. Brady Icon Music Center in Cincinnati, Ohio on January 28th was also unchanged from last year:
Intro: Years Ago / Intro: Nightmare Castle / Feed My Frankenstein
No More Mr. Nice Guy / Bed of Nails / Hey Stoopid / Fallen in Love /Go Man Go / Under My Wheels / He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask) / Rock & Roll / I'm Eighteen / Poison / Billion Dollar Babies / Roses on White Lace / My Stars / Devil's Food / Black Widow Jam / Steven / Dead Babies / I Love the Dead / Escape / Teenage Frankenstein / School's Out / Another Brick In The Wall

which leads me to suppose that the stage show is the same as well, although (as we have seen with previous tours), there could be changes made in the coming weeks
As expected, there have been some changed in the set list

The cover of the Velvet Underground song 'Rock And Roll' has been dropped, and two new additions have taken it's place - 'Be My Lover' and 'Is It My Body'. At one show, 'Lost In America' was played instead of 'Is It My Body'

Alice is just about to play a couple of shows as part of the Monsters Of Rock cruise, and it will be interesting to see what kind of set list these throw up!

Old 13th February 2022, 03:45 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Alice is just about to play a couple of shows as part of the Monsters Of Rock cruise, and it will be interesting to see what kind of set list these throw up!
There were changes made to the setlist on the first night of the cruise

Dropped from the show were 'He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask') / 'Steven' / 'Dead Babies' / 'I Love the Dead' / 'Escape'

'Is It My Body' and 'Be My Lover' were moved to just after the 'Black Widow' jam, and 'Lost in America' was re-introduced back into the set (after 'Be My Lover'). Also, as a final encore, a cover of the Rolling Stones song 'Brown Sugar' was played after 'School's Out'

Obviously, the 'Nightmare Castle' stage set could not be used on the boat, so the cruise, so the band appeared in front of the spider eyes backdrop

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MOR Cruise Setlist 2022.jpg (93.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg MOR Cruise 2022.jpg (70.4 KB, 2 views)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 16th February 2022, 04:12 PM
Cult Master

New article in Variety

"How Alice Cooper Inspired Harley Quinn’s ‘Suicide Squad’ Look

Transforming Margot Robbie into Harley Quinn for “The Suicide Squad” often took two people, with makeup artist Heba Thorisdottir leading the way by channeling a rock star. Thorisdottir is nominated for a Make-up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Award for best contemporary makeup in a feature-length motion picture.

In Warner Bros.’ summer release, Harley Quinn and the prisoners of Belle Reve set out on a mission to destroy Jotunheim, a Nazi-era prison and laboratory in South America.

Director James Gunn gave Thorisdottir complete creative control on the looks with one stipulation: “As long as they were dirty and gritty. His direction was that he wanted everyone to look destroyed by the end of the film,” she says.

Her starting point was taking Harley’s traditional red and black palette “too far, and then go another 10 levels” for a movie that was bloodier than the 2016 original. For a makeup artist, detail was key: Cuts, bruises, dirt and lipstick all had a purpose.

Thorisdottir turned to an iconic rock star for Harley’s inspiration. “I decided she would be Alice Cooper!” says the makeup department head. “Sexy, at times shocking and always a badass! And so, the black-lip idea was born. And from there I started experimenting with the red shadow on the eyes as inspired by Alice Cooper, and everything fell into place organically from there.”

Thorisdottir was also inspired by Judianna Makovsky’s costume designs, which referenced the comic book characters and Har- ley’s red costume. “My first thought was where do I find red eye shadow that stays on well and can withstand being in the water for days on end? After searching high and low, and swatching what seemed like hundreds of eye shadows, I landed on these beautiful red shadows from Suqqu as well as Viseart.”

Thorisdottir used the Suqqu and Viseart eye shadows for layering and depth. Viseart was quite matte and was used as a base and in the lines under Robbie’s eyes. Suqqu had a bit more sheen to it, so it was used to add highlight or reflection to get depth into her eyes. She finished it off with the ultimate rock ’n’ roll makeup — black eyeliner from Nars.

In choosing a foundation for the character, a crème base was the way to go since it created the most realistic look and kept Robbie’s skin from looking clownish.

The key was staying true to the rebel criminal Harley, but also adding a wow factor, she explains: “This is the first time we are seeing her in her hero look, knowing all the chaos she was about to endure. I wanted her to look stunning and ready to battle.”

The biggest challenge? Shooting in Georgia and Panama meant environmental factors such as heat needed to be considered. Says Thorisdottir, “I felt more like a scientist than a makeup artist, mixing new formulas of the same colors to withstand, water, dirt, birds clawing at her, explosions and slime.”"

Old 17th February 2022, 07:10 AM
Cult Master

An excerpt from an Interview with Vinnie Moore of UFO

https://vwmusicrocks.com/an-intervie...-moore-of-ufo/

Guitarist Vinnie Moore explains why he parted ways with Alice Cooper in 1991

"...Take me through the events which led to you joining Alice Cooper’s band.

I was in the studio recording Meltdown and got a call asking about playing on Hey Stoopid, which Alice was recording at the time. They were having a bunch of guest guitarists play on it. They already had Slash, Joe Satriani, and Steve Vai, as well as others. It was an honor to be asked to be a part of that. I went up to Bearsville Studios, in upstate New York, to record the two tracks I was on, “Dirty Dreams,” and “Hurricane Years.” I played rhythms and leads, and it was all done in half a day. We all went for dinner, and then, I drove home. Weeks after that, I heard that they wanted to have me play on the tour.

Your only studio effort with Alice was the two tracks on Hey Stoopid, in 1991. What do you recall regarding the sessions?

I remember my amp shutting off while recording, but luckily it was just a blown fuse. When I met Alice, he and Stef Burns were playing a game that they had invented on a ping pong table called “Scud Ball.” It involved plastic cups on the table and trying to get the ball to land in them. “Scud” came from the Scud Missile. So, one of my first conversations with Alice was regarding the rules of Scud ball. It was very cool to work with Peter Collins, who was producing, as well as Paul Northfield, who ended up mixing two of my records long after.

Ultimately, why didn’t you stick around with Alice Cooper as the 90s progressed?

I had recorded Meltdown, and we had planned a big tour for that, which I hadn’t really done with the earlier records. When the thing with Alice happened, it changed things a little. It all looked like a perfect plan because I would be out there on the road all over the USA with Cooper when my record was coming out. But then, Alice’s tour plans changed, and they decided to go to Europe instead of doing the US. My record label told me, “There is no point in putting out my record if you’re going to be away in Europe for six months.” They planned to delay the release. I had finished with Meltdown in January, and the label was scheduled to release the album in October, which I was already not very happy about. If I stayed with Alice, it would have been held back for another half year. I just couldn’t do that. Also, opening for Rush became a possibility, and that was something I really wanted to do.

You picked up your solo career right where you left off once you left Alice Cooper. How do you feel your time with Alice Cooper affected you as a solo artist?

I was an Alice fan when I was a kid, it was awesome to play those songs with him, and the tour was a lot of fun. It didn’t have an influence on me musically though..."

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 15th March 2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 19th February 2022, 01:34 PM
Cult Master

The Australian weather report with Alice Cooper

nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 1st March 2022, 09:41 PM
Cult Master

Alice with Groucho. Date unknown

Imagine sitting at this table! Imagine the stories you would hear!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Groucho Marx.jpg (61.3 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!