Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree1346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2015, 06:47 PM
Cult Master

Live at Good Records in Dallas Texas, in front of 200 lucky people - Dennis Dunaway, Michael Bruce and Neal Smith, with surprise guests Alice Cooper and Ryan Roxie

Setlist:

'Caught In A Dream' (before Alice and Ryan join them)
'Be My Lover'
'I'm Eighteen'
'Is It My Body'
'No More Mr Nice Guy'
'School's Out'
'Under My Wheels'
'Elected'

And then, they joined Alice on stage in Dallas, during his opening slot on the Mutley Crow tour:

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 8th October 2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10th December 2015, 07:57 AM
Cult Master

The Alice discography will be resuming soon...

...In the meantime, it has been announced that he will headline a new indoor festival in 2016.

The Stone Free Festival will take place at London's O2 venue on June 18 and 19, and will also feature Rick Wakeman, Marillion, The Darkness, Blackberry Smoke and Steve Hackett plus others to be announced

Apparently this will be Alice's only UK appearance in 2016

Stone Free Festival | Stone Free Festival, The O2 London – Saturday 18th June + Sunday 19th June 2016
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic529 - Stone Free Festival.jpg (47.1 KB, 5 views)
Justin101 likes this.

Old 10th December 2015, 09:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I saw that poster but I hate arenas and i hate festival (humbug haha) fingers crossed for a solo tour in 2017 then I guess.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th December 2015, 06:30 PM
Cult Master

*NOTE - This post is too long to be made in one go, so it has been split into two.

PART 1 - The background

OK - Picking this up, and continuing while I am able...

The 1977 album 'Lace And Whiskey' is an album many fans love to hate, though why is a bit of a mystery. Sure, it isn't up there with the real classics, but most of the material is still great stuff

After many years of portraying a dark and sinister persona, Alice decided to try something new and donned the persona of a heavy drinking comic PI named "Maurice Escargot" - a fictional character in the same vein as Inspector Clouseau, that Alice had once planned to write a novel about. There was a promotional paperback designed exactly like the book on the album cover. Inside is a brief history of Cooper albums and then a list of the albums songs with a small story behind each and then a history of who`s who in gangland slayings. The rest of the book is a monthly planner for the year 1977. There was also a promotional pop-gun, a shotglass, and a bullet-ridden t-shirt. A part of the text of the book is as follows:

"
THE CASE OF THE PURLOINED KUMQUATS
(LACE AND WHISKEY)
A New Alice Cooper Thriller

It was a dark and stormy night. Lightning slashed the midnight sky and
thunder shook the windowpanes in the ancient mansion called home by master detective Alice Cooper and his faithful old family retainer, Mrs. Hays.
Nevertheless, the fireplace crackled with a cheery blaze, and the study took on a warm, almost inviting air of an oasis against the bitter night.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"Who's thre?" Mrs. Hays' voice trembled as she limped to the massive oak door, hesitating to unlatch it to the midnight unknown.

"It's me, Mrs. Hays -- Alice," the voice trailed faintly through the heavy door. "I've left my keys! Let me in!"

"Nonsense, Mr. Alice," Mrs. Hays replied. "You're in your study, as always this time of night. Look for yourself!" So saying, she threw open the door and there, shivering and drenched, stood the sleuth himself.

"Mercy, Mr. Alice," cried Mrs. Hays, "the saints forgive us for making you stand in the rain so long, but I could have sworn you were sitting by the fire, reading. Why, I even took in a glass of sherry for you to have before retiring."

"Curious," mused Alice. "most peculiar. Hm. Well, no harm done, Mrs. Hays. It's late. Why don't you turn in, and I'll lock up."

"Certainly, sir. Oh -- might I inquire as to the outcome of your golf tournament, sir?"

"Rained out, dash it all. Perhaps rescheduled next week, if fair."

"One certainly hopes so, sir. Well, goodnight, then; if you'll not be want me, I'll retire."

"Goodnight, Mrs. Hays. Sleep well."

IT'S HOT TONIGHT

Alice Cooper, legendary crime fighter, was the acknowleged master of disguise. His experimentation with makeup and props had no equal in all of sleuthdom. His exploits had been chronicled by every known medium; his career had more highlights than streak 'n' tip day at Jon Peters' salon. Eight LPs were milestones of his mighty accomplishment, each providing substantial clues to aspects of the man -- which clever Cooperites delingted in piecing together to try to discern the true inner self. Now, however, Alice was at the threshold, the culmination of over a year's effort to forge
the ultinmate LP, the most intimate revelations of his decade as a media darling -- and secrecy was the watchword.

"But who," he inquired of himself silently, "was sitting in my chair? Reading my book? Toasting by my fire? Drinking my sherry ... and why?"

Stealthily, Alice made his way down the long, imposing hall to his study, carefully not disturbing the framed platinum and gold records lining the walls, each a momento mori -- of days in the recording studio, nights on the road; and a thousand memories came flooding back as he walked.

Twenty-nine years ago on the fourth of February Alice mysteriously entered this world. Born Vincent Furnier in Detroit, his first eleven years were spent in that prosaic city; then he and his parents migrated to Phoenix, where the sun and clean air helped him blossum into a track star and fledging journalist ... and now ... and now ...

Silently entering the velvet-draped, burgundy-paneled, simple yet elegant room, Alice enunciated: "It's hot tonight, isn't it?" He knew that a startled reply from the presumed stranger would betray that he had glimpsed ... the lace and whiskey.

No answer came. In fact, there was no visitor, nor any trace of one -- except for the empty sherry glass on the ornate table flanking the gold brocade wing chair.

LACE AND WHISKEY

"Perhaps," Alice mused, "Mrs. Hays has caught a splinter in the windmill of her mind. Still, there is the matter of the sherry ..."

His finely-honed senses told Alice that he was whistling in the dark; that -- somehow -- a fiendishly clever impersonator had spent the dark and stormy evening curled up with the ... lace and whiskey.

Lowering himself into the comfortable chair, he began to sort out the happenings of the day. Reaching for the everpresent bowl on the table, his fingers curled around -- empty space. Gone! Whoever had occupied his moste
private of places had also helped himself to the one overwhelming passion in Alice's life -- helped himself totally, so that not a single kumquat remained in the once overflowing dish.

"He (whoever he may be) has now gone too far!" Alice leaped to his feet and prepared for action. "I'll leave no stone unturned until I find this impudent lout!"

Storming through the corridors of the vast mansion, Alice resembled the raging weather outside, his face dark as if thunderclouds rode his eyebrows, lightning flashing from his dark and piercing eyes.

ROAD RATS

Alas, the intruder had left no trace and his exit mode was as baffling as his manner of entrance. Truly this was a taxing puzzle for our hero; but insult had been added to injury, and proceed he would, through the most arduous of investigations.

It was not for nothing that he had spent ten years on the road, ten years of grueling days and punishing nights, honing and perfecting his art. It was not for nothing that he had grown from clown to craftsman. And it was certainly not for nothing that he had earned the right to a kumquat or two before tucking in for the night. The gauntlet had been thrown, and Alice Cooper was equal to the task.

DAMED IF YOU DO

"Dawn shall not break," he vowed, "and find this monster still at large!" Leaping the stairs multiplicity, he burst open the doors of his bedchamber. His dressing table, a coffin -- a relic of his early days on the road, and now used to hold a vast collections of stickpins and cufflinks -- had been left untouched, as had his wardrobe; but "someone's been sleeping in my bed," he noted. "The plot thickens. Whoever was here must still be in this house -- and hiding, like the craven coward he is."

Slipping out of his knickers and coordinated shirt-jac, he donned a velvet smoking jacket and jogging pants to prepare for the long night ahead. "No time now," he opined, "for the lace ... and whiskey."

YOU AND ME

Where was it all to lead? What was the purpose of the brazen intruder, and to what end had he tampered with the trappings of such a formidable adversary?

"Let's lay it all out," he muttered throught clenched teeth, "and try to find some logic in this plot. We know that someone (or something) has been in this house, on this night, assuming my persona, eating my kumquats, drinking my sherry, lying prone (or perhaps supine) on my bed, and possibly reading the manuscript (God strike his eyes) of the lace and ... whiskey."

But the burning questions remained: who? and why? not to mention how? And what about Naomi (for that was Mrs. Hays' given name)?

"Let me try to fit this -- person -- into my life," he thought. "Is it someone I've met along the way? Perhaps some dilettante from my college days in Phoenix, or the concomitant excursions to Los Angeles which ultimately led to my settling there for two years? Or perhaps some hail-fellow-well-met from my relocating in Detroit in the pre-'I'm Eighteen' period? If so, then the villain must also be known to Bob Ezrin, the Paladin of producers, the Caesar of the control board. Perhaps a professor who took offense at 'School's Out?' But if so, why wait so long?

KING OF THE SILVER SCREEN

"Muddle, muddle, brother!" he exclaimed. "I need to relax, to think things through in a calm and reasonable fashion. I shall repair to my screening room; perhaps I'll watch 'The Little Shop of Horrors' of some other soporific."

Sliding down the curved mahogany bannister, Alice was dismayed to find a sleepy, night-capped Mrs. Hays watching from the pantry door.

"Oh, Mr. Alice," Mrs. Hays mewed, "I do so worry you'll hurt yourself one day -- couldn't you just try walking down your elegant curved staircase?"

"Never fear, Mrs. Hays, I've the safest bannister in town. Which reminds me, I guess it's useless to dust that for fingerprints any more. Drat. I must be preoccupied with the lace and ... whiskey," he whispered sotto voce.

"But why are you dressed for work, Mr. Alice? You never wear your smoking jacket and jogging pants unless you're on a big case!"

"Precisely, Mrs. Hays. Someone has (1) occupied my chair and bed; (2) drunk my sherry; (3) eaten my kumquats; and possibly (4) been privy to something meant for my eyes alone. This will not do. I shall unmask the malefactor before the crack of dawn!"

"Please be careful, Mr. Alice. He may lurk nearby!" Mrs. Hays scuttled back to the servants' quarters, with a flurry of scuffly slippers and the slipping of countless chains and bolts on her door.

"Well, off to the movies," Alice announced, loud enough to be heard by an nearby lurkers. He scarcely made a sound on the thick Oriental carpet as he moved alertly to the screening room, where he had his choice of everything from Looney Tunes to Lina Wertmuller, so arcane was his taste.

Selecting a videotape of his TV special "Welcome to My Nightmare," Alice allowed himself to reflect once more on the identity of his uninvited guest. Could it have been someone from the 56 cities he covered in 62 days of the "Billion Dollar Baby" tour -- a tour that grossed $5 million plus, and made Alice Cooper a personality, even in the LOLITS circles? Or someone who took umbrage at his autobiography "Me, Alice," which Putnam's had published in 1974? Or even one of the hundreds of people involved with the "Welcome to My Nightmare" project, which had evolved into a record album, television special, and eight-month tour?

Just then, the door swung open on its oiled hinges...

UBANGI STOMP

In the flickering light from the projector, Alice, seated, watched Alice, filmed, innocent of the menace thay crept ever closer. Now and then he chuckled at the antics on screen, but his attention was less that full as the mysterious goings-on gnawed at his insides. Suddenly, the room went dark, the plug pulled and the projector silenced, and the only sound was of two hearts beating, two breaths bating.

"Identify yourself, you scoundrel!" Alice crouched, ready to spring ever to avenge the insults of the night. There was no reply, save for the heavy footsteps drawing near. Alice circled, hoping to get behind him ... or her ... or it ... but the intruder was circling also, and around and around the room they went in a grotesque imitation of an ostrich mating dance.

"Speak up, varlet or knave, as the case may be! Are you so lily-livered that the sound of your voice would throw you into a fantod? Out with it, now."

Stomp. Stomp. Stomp stomp. Stomp stomp stomp.

"Oh, stop it at once! Who is your choreographer, may I ask -- Yogi Bear?" Alice knew whereof he carped, for he had lately begun a course of professional dancing, and what he was hearing was no shuffle-ball-change.

Still there was no word from the unseen presence; no sound, save for his peculiar gait, and ... a whisper of lace ... and a pungent smell of -- yes! -- whiskey.

(NO MORE) LOVE AT YOUR CONVENIENCE

Clever Alice had maneuvered his way to the light switch, and stood with his hand poised to reveal what or who had managed to give such all-encompassing affront. "No more Mr. Nice Guy," Alice said, harking back to an early hit single, "and what's more, School's Out for you, kiddo, and you're Elected to go Under My Wheels -- and I know I Never Cry. So it's all over now and you better start singing."

"Only Women Bleed," came the soft reply.

"Mrs. Hays," roared the astonished Alice. "What is the meaning of this tomfoolery? What are you doing -- here -- now?"

"It was I, Mr. Alice, who drank your sherry, ate your kumquats, sat in your chair, lay supine on your bed, and --"

"Stop! What is the rationale behind this duplicity? You, my most trusted employee, Naomi Hays --"

"That's just it, Mr. Alice; you don't even know I'm alive. My name isn't Naomi. It's Winifred, named after my dear mother who was a continuing feature in the New York magazine competition, rest her soul; and as for why, well, I'm tired of being a piece of woodwork around here; when you need something you call for me, but it's only at your convenience!"

"But Mrs. Hays, we -- I -- you don't -- but you're not --"

"I knew you'd say that. But it all can be different, don't you see? When you started acting, and appeared in the movie "Sextette" with Mae West, and began to write such sensitive, tender songs, I thought there was hope ..."

I NEVER WROTE THOSE SONGS

"Mrs. Hays. Truly, I'm flattered. But life is what it is, and we are what we are, and truly the twain can never meet. I hope you will understand and not think badly of me, buy my passion -- my only passion -- is the completion of my new project .. the ... LACE AND WHISKEY!

"And surely a woman of your sophisticaton must know that many songs -- indeed, many poems, plays and promises -- are inspired by nothing more that abstract intellectualization. Please, Mrs. Hays, let us both forget this unfortunate incident and retire to our respective bedchambers for what remains of this long, wretchedly confusing night."

"Oh, Mr. Alice, you have such a way with words. All right, then, but there is one thing you should know. I am now completely conversant with your plans for LACE AND WHISKEY and I have tentative appointments with representatives from many popular magazines to discuss its thrust, its actualizaton, and its relevance. Perhaps in the morning we can do a Monty Hall?"

"Do a Monty Hall? Mrs. Hays, I haven't even mastered the Funky Lunchbox yet. You know I don't go to discos. Whatever is a --"

"Let's Make a Deal, Mr. Alice ..."

MY GOD

"My God!" Alice Cooper thought as he thankfully slipped into his silk pajamas and brushed and flossed. "Quel dommage, oi veh, and other assorted multilingual interjections. What a bewildering, upsetting, and generally miserable night! Well, at least it's stopped raining...

"Raining! It's been rainging! All day, in buckets! I should have known hat no one could have entered this house undetected -- it was an insider all along. Alice, old Coop, you have been working too hard. Better watch it, or they'll take the epaulets away.

"Lucky LACE AND WHISKEY is finished and ready for release. Mrs. Hays will have to dress up as a pizza if she wants to play that game -- but let her have fun dreaming of it. As I shall most surely do."

And, smiling, he slept."

Old 11th December 2015, 06:47 PM
Cult Master

Part 2: The music

Dick Wagner - Guitars, Vocals
Bob Ezrin - Keyboards, Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitars
Babbitt - Bass
Allan Schwartzberg - Drums
Jim Maelen - percussion, vocals
Jozef Chirowski - keyboards
Ernie Watts - tenor sax and clarinet
"And, of course, Alice Cooper as Vanna White.'cause I'm the queen of the silver screen."

Producer - Bob Ezrin

Peter Gabriel's record (Peter Gabriel) from 1977 features the same band as Alice used in 'Lace and Whiskey' (Dick Wagner, Steve Hunter, Jozef Chirowski, Tony Levin) and it was recorded at the same place also - (Sounstage, Toronto) and it was produced by Bob Ezrin

The first song is '"It's Hot Tonight", which is a good rock/funk song

01/10 - It's Hot Tonight (Cooper, Wagner, Ezrin))

"It's hot tonight; too hot for talkin'
It's hot tonight
I sweat tonight. I sweat, no sleepin'
It's too hot tonight

Dogs are barkin', cats are screamin'
Streets are steamin'
God's own heat's the devil's demon
Yeah.

My turn tonight to burn with fever
I burn tonight
I smoke tonight, I'm all on fire
Damn hot tonight

Summer nights they make me crazy
Makes me all hazy

It's hot tonight, too hot for talkin'
It's hot tonight.
I sweat tonight. I sweat, no sleepin'
It's too hot tonight

Dogs are barkin', cats are screamin',
streets are steamin'
God's own heat's the devil's demon.
Yeah"

The second song is the title track of the album, 'Lace and Whiskey', which is another catchy song

02/10 - Lace And Whiskey (Cooper, Wagner, Ezrin)

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitar
Tony Levin - Bass

"I find myself runnin' in circles
Lost and half insane
And I need a cure sometimes to knock out the pain
So I yell out for some kind of angel
To come down and rescue me
Be as soft as you can, put a drink in my hand.
I'm as scared as I ever could be

Give me lace and whiskey
Mama's own remedy
Double indemnity
Fills me with ecstasy
Lace and whiskey

Lots of things I really want, yeah
Lots of things I really need
There's an animal soul inside that I gotta feed
A hot mama, feminine body
Always gets a rise from me
She's so soft in my hands
I give her all she can stand
Make a full fledged man out of me

Give me lace and whiskey
Mama's own remedy
Double indemnity
Fills me with ecstasy
Lace and whiskey
Lace and whiskey

I ain't hard-assed
So, babe, don't make me mean
I want a hot place
To grow and show you things

Give me lace and whiskey
Mama's own remedy
Double indemnity
Fills me with ecstasy
Lace and whiskey

I`ll end up a broken old hobo with red and yellow eyes
Swearin' and drunk and dyin'.. no one's surprise
That's a long, long way today, babe as far as I can see
So shake off your shoes, go and get me my booze
Lay your love and your laces on me

Give me lace and whiskey
Mama's own remedy
Double indemnity
Fills me with ecstasy
Lace and whiskey
Lace and whiskey
Lace and whiskey
Lace and whiskey"

Old 17th December 2015, 05:34 PM
Cult Master

The third song on 'Lace And Whiskey' is entitled '"Road Rats", and it seems to be Alice's tribute to his road crew, predating the Motorhead song 'We Are The Road Crew' by three years!

It is a fun, hard rocking song

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitars
Prakash John - Bass
Jim Gordon - Drums
Venetta Fields, Julia Tillman, Lorna Willard - Vocals

03/10 - Road Rats (Cooper, Wagner, Ezrin))

"We work this band 'cause they make it rock
But we're the guys that make it roll
We move the drums and amps and junk
Road rats, we're a pack, and the road's our home

On the road half my young man's life
I spend a lot of time
Ain't got no bread to show for it
Road rats, all the cash spent on whites and wine

We're the men behind the man
We're the backbone muscle clan
We do a thousand one night stands
If the stars can make it
If the band can shake it
Well, if those guys can take it we can
Yeah

We work this band 'cause they make it rock
But we're the guys that make it roll
We move the drums and amps and junk

We're the men behind the man
We're the backbone muscle clan
We do a thousand one night stands
If the stars can make it
if the band can shake it
Well, if those guys can take it we can
Yeah."

The next song, 'Damned If You Do ', is...um...Alice doing Country And Western! But, It's ALICE doing Country And Western, and it's the way that Satan meant his music to be played! Instead of a slide guitar, we have a gruff electric guitar pretending that it’s a slide guitar. Instead of those stupid cloppy woodblock rhythms, this has a neat driving beat that’s sped up about 1.5 times faster. Instead of one of those stupid yodeling singers, we have Alice Cooper!!!! And he writes a melody that sounds like country-western but it avoids all those groan-inducing cliches. Dolly Parton would never do this!

04/10 - Damned If You Do (Cooper, Wagner, Ezrin)

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitars
Tony Levin - Bass
Jim Gordon - Drums
Al Macmillan - Piano
Al Kooper - piano

"I'm gonna sign my name to a full confession
It seems the woman I loved last night belongs to another man
They like to take you home
They like to purr and tease you
But I'm a passionate man and I couldn't leave her alone

'Cause you are damned if you do
Damned if you don't
Ddamned if you will
Damned if you won't

Sometimes they look so good but don't you let'em deceive ya
'Cause then you find out that they got some kind of a venomous mind
And the thing that's worse is that it all seems worth it
I'm still a passionate man and she wouldn't leave me alone

If you think that being a stud is easy
Well, now don't ask me, boys, I wouldn't know
I'm a little slow

And you are damned if you do
And damned if you don't
You are damned if you will
And your damned if you won't

If you think being a stud is easy,
Well, now don't ask me, boy
I wouldn't know
I'm a little slow

Gonna sign my name to a full confession
It seems the woman I loved last night belonged to another man.
They like to take you home they like to purr and tease you
And I'm a passionate man and I couldn't leave her alone

'Cause you are damned if you do
Damned if you don't
Damned if you will
Damned if you won't
Damned if you do
Damned if you don't
Damned if you will
Damned if you won't

I'll be damned"

Old 18th December 2015, 05:48 PM
Cult Master

The final song on the first side of the original album is 'You And Me' which is a soft rock ballad.

It's not a bad song, but it's not something that I want Alice to do

It alienated a lot of Alices' American fans, and was the last time he had a top-ten hit in the US until 'Poison' in 1999

Legend has it that Frank Sinatra performed a cover of this song at a show he did at The Hollywood Bowl...but that is almost certainly not true

It's one of the songs that Alice performed when he was a guest on 'The Muppet Show' in 1978, alongside 'Schools Out' and 'Welcome To My Nightmare'

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitars
Babbitt - Bass
Jim Gordon - Drums

05/10 - You And Me (Cooper, Wagner)

"When I get home from work, wanna wrap myself around you
I wanna take you and squeeze you 'till the passion starts to rise
I wanna take you to heaven, that would make my day complete

But you and me ain't no movie stars
What we are is what we are
We share a bed, some lovin', and TV, yeah
And that's enough for a workin' man
What I am is what I am
And I tell you, babe
Well that's enough for me

Sometimes when you're asleep and I'm just starin' at the ceiling
I wanna reach out and touch you but you just go on dreamin'
If I could take you to heaven that would make my day complete

But you and me ain't no movie stars
We share a bed, some lovin', and TV, yeah
That's enough for a workin' man
What I am is what I am
I'll tell you, sweetheart
That's just enough for me

You and me ain't no super stars
We share a bed, some popcorn, and TV, yeah
What I am is what I am
And I tell you, babe
You're just enough for me

When I get home from work I wanna wrap myself around you
I like to hold you, squeeze you, 'till the passion starts to rise
I wanna take you to heaven that would make my day complete

You and me ain't no movie stars
We share a bed, lovin', and TV, yeah
What I am, well that's what I am
I tell you, baby
that's just enough for me"

Side two opens with 'King Of The Silver Screen', and it is another Broadway show tune!

As a piece of trivia, during the spoken interlude at the end, Alice says: "Yes, I'm the Queen of the Silver Screen/I admit it to all my fellow workers I don't care any more. I'm tired of closets/I'm gonna eat my makeup for lunch today/Just don't hit me again. All right guys?/I'm going to Hollywood to be a starlet/I know I'm 240 pounds and play center for the Detroit Lions/I don't care any more/I like makeup and dresses and Hollywood/ I'll make somebody a great little wife" and I have always wondered if this is a tribute to Divine and the early films of John Waters

Of course, the final line of the song is Rhett Butler in 'Gone With The Wind'

06/10 - King Of The Silver Screen (Cooper, Wagner, Ezrin)

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitars
Babbitt - Bass

"(one, two, hey)

By day I'm a workin' man, layin' bricks or layin' pipe
I don't stand out in a crowd, just look like one of the guys
Little do they know, when I'm alone in bed at night
I become the King of the Silver Screen

I stare at the ceiling there, I know where I belong
I two step with Fred Astaire or fighting old King Kong
I can be any hero at all, Zorro or Don Juan
I know I'm the King of the Silver Screen

Hollywood movies keep flashin' across my mind
I could've been Valentino if I was born in another time

I might be solving a case or swinging from a tree
Share a joke with Crosby and Hope, we're such good friends, you see
Even dazzle the Academy with my versatility
'Cause I'm the King of the Silver Screen

Hollywood movies keep flashin' across my mind
I could've been Errol Flynn if I was born in another time

I could've been a star
I could've been a star
I could've played that part

But Hollywood movies keep flashin' before my eyes
I could've been Greta Garbo if I was born in another time

I wake the very next day, go on back to work
I'm just a face in a crowd, another average jerk
And all the guys on the building site look at me flirt
Because I'm the Queen of the Silver.............

(Spoken)
Yes, I'm the Queen of the Silver Screen
I admit it to all my fellow workers
I don't care any more. I'm tired of closets
I'm gonna eat my makeup for lunch today
Just don't hit me again. All right guys?
I'm going to Hollywood to be a starlet
I know I'm 240 pounds and play center for the Detroit Lions
I don't care any more
I like makeup and dresses and Hollywood
I'll make somebody a great little wife
(Glory Glory Hallelujah)

"Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn.""

Old 26th December 2015, 09:38 PM
Cult Master

'Ubangi Stomp'' is a rockabilly song, originally recorded by Warren Smith in 1956 and (according to legend), it was the first song that Alice ever bought

The title comes from a superstition that the African Ibo people had concerning babies. If a baby was still born or deformed at birth, they are mutilated with farm tools or by stomping on them to deter the bad spirits which dwelled in their children from returning in their next child.

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitars
Tony Levin - Bass

07/10 - Ubangi Stomp (Chas Underwood)

"Well, I rocked over Italy and I rocked over Spain
I rocked in Memphis it was all the same
'Till I rocked to Africa, I rolled off the ship
I seem them natives doin' an odd looking skip
I parted the weeds and I looked over the swamp
And I seen them cats doin' the Ubangi Stomp

Ubangi Stomp is a rock and roll
It beats anything that's ever been told
Ubangi Stomp, Ubangi style
When it kicks it drives a cool cat wild

Well I looked up the chief, he invited me in
He said, "A heap big jam session's 'bout to begin."
I grabbed a guitar and I picked up the beat
That crazy thing sent shivers to my feet
I rocked and I rolled and I skipped with a smile
I did the Ubangi Stomp with a Ubangi style
(C'mon etc)

Well, we rocked all night and part of the day
Had a good, rock-in' time with the chief's daughter Mae
I'm makin' good time and I'm gettin' in the know
when the captain said, "Son, we've gotta go."
I said, "That's all right, You go right ahead
I'm gonna Ubangi Stomp 'till I roll over dead."

Ubangi Stomp is a rock and roll
It beats anything that's ever been told
Ubangi Stomp, Ubangi style
When it kicks it drives a cool cat wild

Oh yeah...
Ubangi Stomp, thank you"

'(No More) Love At Your Convenience' is not a song about cottaging! Instead, it is a semi-Disco song. It's been said that it would not be out of place on an ABBA album from the same period. Me - I cannot possibly comment on this!

It's entertaining I suppose

08/10 - (No More) Love At Your Convenience (Cooper, Wagner, Ezrin)

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitars
Babbitt - Bass

"Your childish game is over now
Lost your power over night some how
Better see it ain't gonna be like it used to be
No more love at your convenience
No more love at your command
Lots of time late at night, I really needed you

I'm telling you tonight's the night
Close your mouth, turn off the light
Pull me babe, pull me down closer on you
Lots of time late at night, I really needed you
(I really needed you)
(I really needed you)

Quit your tears and dry your eyes
You know I hate to see you cry
Don't you see things gotta be what they got to

(we may not be the sweatest but we always choose a winn-er)"

Old 6th January 2016, 05:08 PM
Cult Master

The 9th song on the album is called 'I Never Wrote Those Songs' and it is a standard Alice ballad. Nothing special really

When it was released as a single, it had an spoken introduction which is not found on the album: "I pull the tapes out and I listen back to the original tapes of `Only Women Bleed`, `I never cry` and `You and me` and it didn`t seem like those three songs didn`t come out of the same person that wrote `School's Out', 'Eighteen' and those things. It was kinda a shock to the system to listen back to 'em. I don`t know where they come from.."

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Steve Hunter - Guitars
Babbitt - Bass
Ernie Watts - tenor sax

09/10 I Never Wrote Those Songs (Cooper, Wagner, Ezrin)

"My tape recorder, it must be lyin'
'Cause this I just can't believe
I hear a voice that's cryin', that's not me

The wheel goes round, I hear a sound
It's comin' out all wrong
And I swear to you I never wrote that song

I been livin' ..my own shell so long
The only place I ever feel at home

And oh, that music, I hate those lyrics
It stayed inside me so long
And I swear to you I never wrote that song

But pardon me, I'm not lookin' for sympathy
Not sympathy
I'm just thinking out loud,
The melody, it goes nowhere pointlessly
Silence please

I been livin' ..my own shell so long
The only place I ever feel at home

And oh, that music, I hate those lyrics
It stayed inside me so long
And I, I swear to you I never"

Old 6th January 2016, 05:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Looking forward to your rundown of Zipper Catches Skin Susan.
Susan Foreman likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!