Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Alice Cooper Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11713-alice-cooper-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 8th April 2016 05:50 AM

The next song on the album, 'I Love America' is my favourite cut on 'DaDa'.

It's a very tongue-in-cheek parody of American life, with Alice taking the persona of a cliched blue-collar American redneck. Rather than singing, he speaks the lyrics, coming up with some of the more ridiculous things Americans believe in (either out-loud or subconsciously).

07/09 - I Love America (Cooper, Wagner, Shaw, Ezrin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiAZgWBO0pY

"I love that mountain with those four big heads
I love Velveeta slapped on Wonder Bread
I love a commie...if'n he's good and dead, yup
I love America

I love Old Glory and homemade pie
I think them Ruskies should be sterilized
I love my chicken Kentucky Fried...
Finger Lickin' Good!

Hey there, this is A.B. Cooper from Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars, it's our Fourth of July ... sale. Here at Cooper's Carnival of Clean and Classic Cars at the corner of Collins and Commerce. I've got lot full of the finest funny looking cars money can buy at prices even YOU can afford. So come on down and say hello to me, and granny and bring the kids to meet my snake.
I say, "bye"
Gran says, "bye"
and the snake says, "sssssssssss"

I love General Patton in World War II
My Pocket Fisherman and my Crazy Glue
I love the Beav and Wally too, yeah
I love America

I love the bomb, hot dogs and mustard
I love my girl, but I sure don't trust her
I love what the Indians did to Custer
I love America

Here they come!
There they go!

I love my jeans and I love my hair
I love a real tight skirt and a real nice pair
And on the fourth of July, I love the rockets' red glare
I love America

I watch the A-Team every Tuesday night
I graduated, but I ain't to bright
I love Detroit 'cause I was born to fight
I love America

I love the Tigers but I hate the Mets
I ride my Hog but I race my Vette
I gotta job, but hell I'm still in debt
I love America

I love my bar and I love my truck
I'd do most anything to make a buck
I love a waitress who loves to...flirt!
They're the best kind
I love America
Turn me on
Well, I gotta go now
I love America
Bye Bye, I tell you what though, I really do love it
You ain't going to catch me at no mayday rally buddy.."

The next song, 'Fresh Blood', has a catchy melody, a memorable chorus, and weirdly serious lyrics about being a vampire. But it's boring, and doesn't have any of the dark complexness of any of the other songs. Musically, it a simple electronic-pop ditty that could have been recorded by any new wave band of the era.

One of the female vocalists on the song is Lisa Dalbello, who has worked with many artists, including Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson (on his solo album Victor), Cher, Richard Marx, Heart, Patti LaBelle, Toto and Nena (for whom she wrote an entire translation album). Her song 'Gonna Get Close To You' was covered by Queensryche on their 'Rage For Order' album

08/09 - Fresh Blood (Cooper, Wagner, Ezrin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXL5Ydxa5qE

"All the neighbours never see me
But they wonder why I walk around at night
He gets hungry - I go hunting
In the moonlit streets
For somebody that's right

Fresh blood, a sanguinary feast
Is all he's living for
And he craves it more and more
Showgirls, businessmen in suits in the midnight rain
If they walk alone are never seen again

In the paper, seems a florist
Found in Lincoln Park, died of some anemia
No one raped her, poor Doloris,
Just detained her and drained her on the spot

Fresh blood, a sanguinary feast
Is all he's living for
And he craves it more and more
Old men, ladies of the night walking in the rain
If they walk alone are never seen again

Fresh blood it goes through me, flows through me
Fresh blood inside of me, cry to me

No one calls and no one visits
We're like a couplet out of Desolation Row
We don't want them to want to know us
'Cause when they do, they get a little bit too close

Fresh blood, a sanguinary feast is all I'm living for
And I crave it more and more
Bad girls, cops on the beat in the midnight rain
If they're out alone, are never seen again

Fresh blood inside of me, cry to me, cry to me
Fresh blood inside of me, cry to me, cry to me"

Susan Foreman 9th April 2016 04:28 AM

The final cut on the album is entitled 'Pass The Gun Around' and it is quite a moving ballad. However, the lyrical themes aren't out of some creepy miserable horror movie, or about unrequited love - instead they are out of Alice Cooper's creepy miserable life. It was no secret that he was an alcoholic, and here he is bearing his soul for all the world to hear. Musically, it's an 'epic' sort of song with a repetitive ending that has the same sort of effect as 'Hey Jude'. Perhaps if the lyrics didn't contain such strong suicide imagery, people might be compelled to sing along with it in droves!

09/09 - Pass The Gun Around (Cooper, Wagner)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEX7pkCmIXk

"Sonny wakes up in the morning feeling kinda sick
Needs a little Stoli Vodka, needs it really quick
Sees a little blood run from his eyes
Feels a little hotel paralyzed

Pass the gun around
Give everyone a shot...give everyone a shot, you gotta
Pass the gun around
And throw me in the local river, let me float away

I wake up watching cartoons...the television's on
There's a couple of party balloons and all my money's gone
She was just a reason to unwind
And actually the last thing I could find

Why don't you, pass the gun around
Give everyone a shot...give everyone a shot, you better
Pass the gun around
And dump me in the local river, let me float away
float away, ah float away

Pass the gun around
Give everyone a shot...give everyone a shot, why don't you
Pass the gun around
Throw me in the local river, let me float away

Sonny wakes up in the morning, there's a stranger in his bed
Someone's pounding on the hotel door, he wishes he was dead
I've had so many blackout nights before
I don't think I can take this anymore

Why don't you, pass the gun around
Give everyone a shot...give everyone a shot, why don't you
Pass the gun around
Give everyone a shot...give everyone a shot, come on and
Pass the gun around
Give everyone a shot...give everyone a shot, come on
Pass the gun around
Pass the gun around
Pass the gun around
Pass the gun around "

As with the previous album, 'Zipper Catches Skin', there was not tour to promote 'DaDa'

Susan Foreman 10th April 2016 06:07 AM

And with that, we get to the end of part 3

INTERMISSION

For Alice personally, the early 80's were a very dark time. High points were few and far between:
In May 1981, his daughter Calico was born. She is an actress, who has appeared in a horror film called "Bloodline: The Legend of El Charro", released in September 2004. However this is very much a 'blink and you`ll miss it' part. She has a slightly larger roll in 'Scarlet Frys Junkfood Horrorfest' (2007), and the film 'Suck' (2009) with her father. She came to fan attention when she joined the 'Brutal Planet' tour in 2000, following in her mother`s footsteps by playing various parts in the show including the Nurse, the whipgirl, and Britney Spears and is even being introduced on stage by Alice as 'My own little nightmare'. She continued her roles on the 'Dragontown' , 'Bare Bones', "Eyes Of Alice Cooper", 'Dirty Diamonds' and 'Psychodrama' tours and also provided a few backing vocals to albums and live performances.

In September 1982, he is targeted by religious fanatics in Indiana, who stage record burnings, claiming that his releases "transmit satanic messages that creep into the subconcious minds of young rock fans" and that they are "unfit for a christian home". Bear in mind that Alice's father is a church minister!

During July/August, 1983, after the recording of the 'Dada' album, Alice returns home to Phoenix where his drinking comes to a head. He`s not eating and becomes dangerously thin. His family check him into a hospital but before Doctors could help treat his alcoholism, they have to stablise his physical condition - he is critically malnourished and close to death. He was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the liver, and was in hospital for two and a half weeks, drying out, and he realised that he had to stop drinking and went cold turkey. In September 1983, he is finally clean and sober, and remained that was ever since.

During his recovery period, Alice turned to golf to help him! He now jokes that he traded in one addiction for another!! His current handicap is 5.1. To put this into context, Tiger Woods is calculated to have a 5.9 handicap, and Rory Mcilroy is a 5.4

In September 1983, Cheryl moves out of the family home, and files for divorce. The settlement she is seeking is: "$5,000 a month in temporary spousal maintenance and $2,240 a month in temporary child support". She also is requesting temporary custody of Calico. The hearing is held in January 1984, but by mid-1984 the couple have reconciled, and back together

In June 1985, his son Dashiel is born. He is now the lead vocalist in a rock band called Co-Op

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2016 03:22 PM

I have Scarlett Frys Junkfood Horrorfest. I'll have to give it another watch this week whilst i remember about it.

Anyway back to my original post.

Delighted to read your take on Zipper Catches Skin, Susan

For me it was my introduction to Alice Cooper. I was given a vinyl copy by a neighbour who had thousands of records but for some reason didn't rate this album. From looking at his collection it was clear he didn't like hard rock so i'm not exactly sure why he bothered to buy it in the first place.

As an introduction to the great Alice it was a bit underwhelming for me aged 13 or 14. It all seemed rather old fashioned and quirky in comparison to Iron Maiden and Saxon, so didn't grab me at first. As i didn't have the largest record collection at the time i persevered with the album and it slowly displayed it's charms to me.

I love the stop start nature of I Better Be Good, and the oddness of the title track. Incidentally, i find I am the Future to be the album's weakest track.

I'm listening to DaDa as i'm typing this. I truly don't think i've heard it before. Definitely need to buy a copy as on first impression it's a real mish mash of styles, not all of them successful but worthy of properly sitting down to listen to.

I can fully understand why Alice toured neither this nor Zipper. He clearly wasn't the same Alice who recorded Schools Out, Elected etc. Creatively he was on another planet. A planet that is definitely worth exploring, in fact it's all rather fascinating, but i can understand why his fan base dwindled.

However you can imagine my delight when Alice returned a couple of years later. The real Alice, the Alice that made Kerrang! readers like me spit out into our cornflakes when we saw the back cover advertising the Constrictor album with said snake seemingly slithering out of Alice's mouth.

Zipper Catches Skin became a distant memory unfortunately as Alice ruled the airwaves with tales of sex, murder, Teenage Frankenstein's giving us the Freedom to raise our fists and yell.

Susan Foreman 10th April 2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484906)
Delighted to read your take on Zipper Catches Skin, Susan

Thank you

Quote:

As an introduction to the great Alice it was a bit underwhelming for me aged 13 or 14. It all seemed rather old fashioned and quirky in comparison to Iron Maiden and Saxon, so didn't grab me at first

However you can imagine my delight when Alice returned a couple of years later. The real Alice, the Alice that made Kerrang! readers like me spit out into our cornflakes when we saw the back cover advertising the Constrictor album with said snake seemingly slithering out of Alice's mouth

This is incredibly ironic for me! As I have already stated in this thread, the first times I listened to Alice, I didn't really like what I was hearing because it wasn't heavy metal and didn't sound anything like the music I was listening to at the time. Then, when he returned as a heavy metal act, I didn't like him because it wasn't the Alice I knew!!!!

Go figure

Quote:

I'm listening to DaDa as i'm typing this. I truly don't think i've heard it before. Definitely need to buy a copy as on first impression it's a real mish mash of styles, not all of them successful but worthy of properly sitting down to listen to.

I think that main problem Alice faced during this period (other than the drink and drugs) was the musically he was between a rock and a hard place. American fans were presumably listening to the post-punk pop of acts like The Cars and Devo, while the developing HWOBHM and fledgling thrash bands were gaining ground in England. The four records Alice recorded during this era fell between the two stools, and as such appealed to no one in particular

Quote:

I can fully understand why Alice toured neither this nor Zipper. He clearly wasn't the same Alice who recorded Schools Out, Elected etc. Creatively he was on another planet. A planet that is definitely worth exploring, in fact it's all rather fascinating, but i can understand why his fan base dwindled.

It's a shame that he had to use such extreme measures to get to 'that place', but as Nietzsche said: "That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger", and this time truly made Alice stronger, and thankfully didn't kill him

I must admit that it's been a long time since I listened to these particular recording, and I did approach them with a feeling of unease and trepidation, but on the whole, I enjoyed them, and didn't find them to be the train crash that they are regularly described as

Anyway, coming soon...Part 4: The Metal Years (which, from what you say, will be right up your street)

Susan Foreman 17th April 2016 07:46 AM

PART 4: The Metal Years

As already noted, the first half of the 1980's was not a good time for Alice - both personally and professionally. His health was failing, and he had released four lackluster albums

After the release of the 'DaDa' album, he considered retiring from the music industry, although in 1984 he appeared in the film 'Monster Dog', which contained two new recordings:

The songs of the film, "Identity Crises" and "See Me In The Mirror", were composed and arranged by Alice himself and Teddy Bautista (considered to be one of the best composers and musicians in Spanish rock history. He played in a progressive rock group called "Los Canarios" during the late 60s, and produced the Spanish version of "Jesus Christ Superstar", playing the part of Pilate too). The band that played those songs were known as 'Dicotomia', and it would appear that they were a bunch of movie session musicians, created for the sole purpose of playing the movie's soundtrack. [I have been unable to find any information about who the band actually consisted of!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baeogHddsK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhcdxNw1Ag

In 1984, It was also reported in Kerrang magazine that Alice was recording with Joe Perry (from Aerosmith) and Andy McCoy (from Hanoi Rocks), although nothing appeared from these sessions

in 1985, he teamed up with Twisted Sister, to provide vocals for their song 'Be Crool To Your Scule', from the 'Come Out And Play' album. This song also features Brian Setzer on guitar, Billy Joel on piano,and Clarence Clemons on sax. The video includes Bobcat Goldthwaite and Tom Savini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWAJG71Urbw

Sadly, this highlights a big problem. While Alice was away from the music business, a lot of people who had grown up listening to him had formed their own bands - Twisted Sister, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue etc - and Alice had been left behind

He needed to up his game for the return to the stage...

Susan Foreman 17th April 2016 08:03 AM

BONUS INTERMISSION: MONSTER DOG

"One of the motivations behind Alice even doing Monster Dog was to get Alice back into a working mode. It was after he had completely retired from his drinking career and his working legs were still wobbley."
(Renfield, November 1997)

"Monster Dog" is a Spanish-Puerto Rican production and was directed by Clyde Anderson, which was the pseudonym of Italian director Claudio Fragasso. The girl who appeared together with Alice is Victoria Vera, one of the best actresses of the cinematographic and theatrical scene in Spain. She claimed in a "talk show" of the Spanish TV that "the movie was wretched and unpleasant, but I had a tremendous time together with Alice; he is a very fabulous and funny person. Everybody at the shooting knew him as 'The American'. He didn't think of himself as a superstar".

'Monster Dog' wasn't shot in Mexico or even the Philippines, as many people believe. This movie was filmed in Spain, exactly at Torrelodones, a little town near to Madrid. The mansion which appeared in the film really exists, and it has been used for other movies.

Some of the other actors who appeared in "Monster Dog", among others, were Ricardo Palacios (the sheriff; he's a regular supporting actor in Spanish psychotronic movies) and Emilio Linde (who played the crewman that did practical jokes all the time; he was an actor who played parts in softcore films and horror movies, and currently is a TV games shows host [!!!] ).

"Monster Dog" was released with the title "Leviatan" in Spain, and showed at the open-air cinemas and downtown movie theaters (they're all gone now). It was released in video in 1988/89, and showed on TV just a couple of times.

According to an interview which appeared in the Sunday supplement of "El Pa EDs" newspaper in 1984, Alice said that he played golf with a general at the Torrejn de Ardz USAF Base (Madrid), went to the "temple" of the "Movida Madrilea" ["Madrid Upsurge"], and the "Rock-Ola's", a place where some Cooper-esque bands like "Alaska y Los Pegamoides", "Orquesta Mondragn", or "Almodvar & McNamara" (Yes! The famous director of "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!" or "Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown" sang in an outrageous rock band) played [Alice says in the interview that "'Rock-Ola's' is perfect. It's completely shabby and dark as a punk club must be"]. He also spent his free time renting and watching all the movies in English language that were in Madrid

A magazine interview, (possibly 'The Dark Side' (June/July 1998 edition)) included an interview with director Claudio Fragasso, who directed Monster Dog, and in the interview Alice is brought up:

DS: What were the circumstances behind Monster Dog, and how were you able to hire rock star Alice Cooper as acting lead?

CF: I met producer, Edward Sarlui, after I had finished Rats - Night of Terror. Sarlui asked me 'Can you make a dog film for me?' (laughs). I said, 'Of course, most certainly, what an idea!' We met Alice Cooper in Spain, and offered him the part since we didn't know who to cast for the lead. I developed a good working relationship with Cooper, he's a good man. Cooper has a passion for horror movies, and every night, we would watch them together as if we were little boys! Even then, Cooper had a love for golf. So much so, that he had a miniature golf course constructed in his hotel room.

Alternative Version of Monster Dog

According to IMDB, there was an extended version of the film, released on Japanese video, and running approx. 4 minutes longer than the version issued elsewhere in the world. It includes burned-in Japanese subtitles and features a variety of differences:
  • The transfer is brighter than other video editions and the sound mix is different
  • There are some additional exchanges between Vince and Sandra concerning the opening music video. When Vince asks what's going on in the back of the van, there's an extended sequence of Jordan and the crew playfully discussing ideas for his next video
  • When they hit the roadblock, there's alternate footage of Vince and Frank's dialogue followed by a scene in which Frank wakes up the crew and asks if they need to pee
  • During their interaction, the Sheriff implicates Vince's father in the previous dog attacks. As they're pulling away, Sandra assures the Sheriff that she can protect them, and then the Sheriff turns to his Deputy and crudely compares her to a dog
  • There's a bit of extended footage as the crew gets out of the van searching for the injured dog
  • The old man tells Vince he will be the first to die. As the man vanishes into the woods and the crew hears a noise behind them, there are a few seconds of alternate and additional footage
  • After Vince and Sandra see the monster, there are a few seconds of additional footage of the crew awaiting their return
  • After Vince opens the window and walks out of the room, the crew briefly jokes about Joss's whereabouts
  • When Angela says she has a bad feeling, Marilou retorts, "Hey Angie, forget the ESP and try a ham sandwich!"
  • During Angela's nightmare, some of the old man's dialogue is different
  • When Sandra tries to assure Vince that the monster was merely an oversized dog, there are some slight differences in editing
  • When the crew goes to investigate the site where Joss's body fell from, there's some different dialogue as they realize Angela stayed behind
  • As they flee the mansion, Vince realizes the rednecks shot out the tires on the van, so Sandra suggests they take the rednecks' car
  • During the brief cutaway to Marilou alone in the car, she says, "Please hurry."
  • The old man's final speech is completely different, concluding with the decree that Vince "will become the Lord of the Dogs!"
  • There are a few additional shots during Vince's transformation, some slightly different editing, and the sounds he makes are a little different.

Susan Foreman 18th April 2016 07:06 AM

After a three year hiatus, 'Constrictor', Alice's 16th album, was released in 1986. For this record, Alice recruited guitarist Kane Roberts, which resulted in a harder sound that he had never used before. However, it was good to see him revert back to the 'evil clown' make-up - a true case of 'plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose'!

Alice Cooper - vocals
Kane Roberts - guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
David Rosenberg - drums
Kip Winger - bass guitar, backing vocals

Producer - Beau Hill

The working title for the album was 'Awake For The Snake'.

The opening track is 'Teenage Frankenstein', and this new sound is immediately noticeable. Musically, however good it is, I think it is faceless - it sounds like any other band from the era. What sets it apart, however, are the lyrics. They are hilarious!

01/10 - Teenage Frankenstein (Cooper, Roberts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PuIoHyVj0w

"I'm the kid on the block
With my head made of rock
And I ain't got nobody
I'm the state of the art
Got a brain a la carte
I make the babies cry

I ain't one of the crowd
I ain't one of the guys
They just avoid me
They run and they hide
Are my colours too bright
Are my eyes set too wide
I spend my whole life
Burning, turning

I'm a teenage Frankenstein
The local freak with the twisted mind
These ain't my hands
And these legs ain't mine

Got a synthetic face
Got some scars and a brace
My hands are rough and bloody
I walk into the night
Women faint at the sight
I ain't no cutie-pie

I can't walk in the day
I must walk in the night
Stay in the shadows
Stay out of the light
Are my shoulders too wide
Is my head screwed on tight
I spend my whole life
Burning, turning

These ain't my arms

I ain't one of the crowd
I ain't one of the guys
They just avoid me
They run and they hide
Are my colours too bright
Are my eyes set too wide
I spend my whole life
Burning, turning

These ain't my hands

These ain't my arms
(repeat to fade)"

The second song, 'Give It Up', is another good one, even tho it is still an American hair-metal song. For some reason, it sounds like it could have come from a dumb teen comedy film of the era!

02/10 - Give It Up (Cooper, Roberts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oh2plZwHpk

"You got your sugar
You got your spice
You got a kitten
Now isn't that nice
You just can't wait for a picnic in Spring
I just get nauseous when I think of those things

You wait and wait and you wait for a lifetime
For a little piece of cake in the night time, yeah
You wait and wait you can't wait any longer
You wait and wait, couldn't be any wronger no

Give it up
Give it up
Give it up
Give it up

You shop around for a sensible car
You hold your breath when you wish on a star
You settle down in a warm little house
You make some babies with your warm little spouse
Ah, how nice

You wait and wait you can't wait any longer
You wait and wait, couldn't be any wronger no

Give it up
Give it up
Give it up
Give it up

Just when you got it made
And all your bills are paid
You stumble and fall into your grave
Ah, too bad

Give it up

You wait and wait, you can't wait any longer
You wait and wait, couldn't be any longer no

Give it up
Don't let it get you down
Give it up
You really really blew it
Give it up
Turn your head around
You used to be so hip, when you hung out on the strip

Give it up
Give it up
Give it up
Turn your head around
Got some Gucci underwear, got some moose in your hair

Give it up
Give it up
Give it up
Turn your head around
You got a perfect happy smile, yeah you`re growing old in style

Give it up
Give it up
Give it up
Turn your head around
Aw.. Games over"

Susan Foreman 19th April 2016 05:21 AM

The third song on the album, 'Thrill My Gorilla', was a blatant attempt by Alice to get our own Inspector Abbeline on side! Musically it's more dumb hair-rock, with a lot of Eddie Van Halen guitar histrionics and licks thrown into the mix for no real reason. Lyrically, it's interesting - "Where were you when the monkey hit the fan? THRILL MY GORILLA! Where were you when the monkey turned to man? THRILL MY GORILLA!" are surprisingly Darwinist lyrics for someone who had recently become a born-again Christian.

I have no idea who 'Sukie' is

03/10 - Thrill My Gorilla (Cooper, Roberts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKi3IsHuWmg

"Sukie honey, we're gonna turn back the clock
To a time when we danced to volcanic rock
We loved to hunt and kill
That's how we used to be
We drank the blood we spilled
And growled at our enemies

Where were you when the monkey hit the fan
Thrill my gorilla (Thrill my gorilla )
Where were you when monkey turned to man
Thrill my gorilla (Thrill my gorilla )

Sukie honey, weren't you right there with me
I seem to remember chasing you from tree to tree
Those prehistoric nights are coming back to me
We must have been the first
To go down in history

Thrill my gorilla (Thrill my gorilla)
Thrill my gorilla (Thrill my gorilla)

We lay on our skins, original sins
Ah, ah, ah, ah yeah
We touch, we feel
We scream, we squeal
Thrill my gorilla
Thrill my gorilla

Thrill my gorilla
Thrill my gorilla

We lay on our skins, original sins
Ah, ah, ah, ah yeah
We touch, we feel
We scream, we squeal
Thrill my gorilla
Thrill my gorilla

Thrill my gorilla (Thrill My Gorilla)
Thrill my gorilla (Thrill My Gorilla)

(repeat to fade)"

Song number four, 'The Life And Death Of The Party', is bland. To my ears, there is absolutely nothing memorable about it

04/10 - The Life And Death Of The Party (Cooper, Roberts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-2dlv0zq8

"You walk into the room, everybody stares
The talking stops, there's a silence there
The room is yours, you own it now
You're in control and everybody down here knows
You got a place in my heart, I don't want you there
But you come and you go, like a millionaire
You take a walk right across my soul

You're the life and the death of the party
You got my heart right by the throat
When the stage lights rise
You start and stop the show

You love me bad, you love me good
You're unimpressed, that's understood
I lost it all, you knew I would

And with your head held high

It's just one night
It's just one time
It's just one hotel room
It's just another dream
That can't come true

And when the stage lights rise
Yeah

And with your head held high
And when the stage lights rise
Yeah
(fade..)"

Susan Foreman 20th April 2016 05:54 AM

The final song on the first side of the album is 'Simple Disobedience', and it's a relatively slow song, although it still has Kane's million-notes-a-second guitar licks at every opportunity

It's a something-and-nothing song

05/10 - Simple Disobedience (Cooper, Roberts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L58QX3ybrUk

"Looks like all your laws are broken, all your lines are down
And all your officers are shook up babbling little clowns
Looks like all your power's gone, it's sprayed upon the wall
In blood and spit, it spells out your inevitable fall

And all the hungry outlaws have taken up a stance
(Simple disobedience)
Yeah, all the hungry outlaws have taken up a stance
(Simple disobedience)

Now all your complex little schemes that form your master plan
Are scrambled up and that is something you just don't understand
A cyclone of confusion rips right through your holy troops
The very thing that weakens you gives power, gives me juice

(Simple disobedience)
(Simple disobedience)

Take your laser microscope and try to find an answer
No antidote or drug to cure our special strain of cancer
It spreads its revolution wide from cell to cell to cell
Your kingdom's like your body, man, it dies and goes to hell

(Simple disobedience)
(Simple disobedience)
And all the hungry outlaws have taken up a stance, yeah
(Simple disobedience)
(Simple disobedience)"

Side two opens with 'The World Needs Guts' which, despite the awful title, is a good, fast rocker with some fairly restrained guitar playing (although the intro still smacks of Eddie Van Halen)

06/10 - The World Needs Guts (Cooper, Roberts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94CKSGTqVlM

"Hey you! Fighting for your life where you've never fought before
Hey you! Running from the scene and nailing down your door
Oh yeah! Back 'em off, brother
Oh yeah! Terminate the mother now
You know you gotta get hard

The world needs guts
The world needs power
Show me some blood
Show me some cuts
Show me some scars
The world needs guts