Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Alice Cooper Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11713-alice-cooper-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th March 2015 03:28 PM

Paul Mccartney, Joe Perry, Johnny Depp To Guest On Alice Cooper's Covers Album - Blabbermouth.net

troggi 7th March 2015 07:39 PM

That "covers" album is bound to be a must for Alice fans but it is also a "definitely maybe" for all the "Dead Drunks" fans. Now that almost covers all bases, talk about great marketing...

Susan Foreman 10th March 2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 438559)
That "covers" album is bound to be a must for Alice fans

Not according to some people over at the SickThings Alice Cooper forum

General consensus seems to be 'I'd rather have a proper new Alice album instead of a covers album'

Also the covers section in the show hasn't gone down well with some people commenting that Alice is 'breaking character' by doing it!

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th March 2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 438816)

General consensus seems to be 'I'd rather have a proper new Alice album instead of a covers album'

With the likes of McCartney and Depp it's bound to get a lot of publicity near it's release and will probably get him a UK top 10 album which can only be a good thing. It will also most likely be his most successful album since 94's The Last Temptation.

After all these years Alice has nothing to prove and can surely make an album of his choice. So screw the internet whingers.

troggi 11th March 2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 438816)

Also the covers section in the show hasn't gone down well with some people commenting that Alice is 'breaking character' by doing it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 438823)
With the likes of McCartney and Depp it's bound to get a lot of publicity near it's release and will probably get him a UK top 10 album which can only be a good thing. It will also most likely be his most successful album since 94's The Last Temptation.

After all these years Alice has nothing to prove and can surely make an album of his choice. So screw the internet whingers.

Gotta admit that I'm with the good master Demdike on this one but I don't think I have the inclination or the staying power to screw all "internet whingers!"

VeZius 27th March 2015 11:15 AM

I've loved Alice Cooper's music all my life, but somehow I haven't bought any of his albums yet. I've just listened to them through various other means. :rolleyes: (I do have Brutally Live and Welcome to My Nightmare DVDs..)

So my question is, which releases of his albums should I get? Which are the best remasters?

Would appreciate it if someone who's familiar with his releases could help out. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th March 2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 441743)
I've loved Alice Cooper's music all my life, but somehow I haven't bought any of his albums yet. I've just listened to them through various other means. :rolleyes: (I do have Brutally Live and Welcome to My Nightmare DVDs..)

So my question is, which releases of his albums should I get? Which are the best remasters?

Would appreciate it if someone who's familiar with his releases could help out. :)

As far as i'm aware the only album to have been remastered is Welcome to my Nightmare. The rest are all cd issues from 1989 or 1999 in the case of From the Inside.

My favourite Cooper period is Constrictor onwards. I always look at From The Inside as the last album of the first half of his career, with Dada and Zipper Catches Skin a couple of drug fuelled oddities.

So going off that my fave Alice albums from his comeback in release order are -

Raise Your Fist and Yell
Trash
The Last Temptation
The Eyes of Alice Cooper
Dirty Diamonds
Welcome 2 My Nightmare

No doubt Suzi will post a ten page career run down for you. ;)

Susan Foreman 28th March 2015 12:31 AM

• Pretties for You (1969) and Easy Action (1970) - interesting curios, but by no means essential
  • Love It to Death (1971), Killer (1971), School's Out (1972), Billion Dollar Babies (1973) - classics. No record collection should be without them
  • Muscle of Love (1973) - good, but not essential
  • Welcome to My Nightmare (1975) - essential
  • Alice Cooper Goes to Hell (1976) and Lace and Whiskey (1977) - not essential, but worth getting. Alice does disco!
  • From the Inside (1978) - my personal favourite Alice album
  • Flush the Fashion (1980), Special Forces (1981), Zipper Catches Skin (1982) and DaDa (1983) - the 'forgotten years'. Recorded when Alice was an alcoholic, and by his own admission, he doesn't remember anything about them. All have some good songs, but none should be the first albums that you get
  • Constrictor (1986), Raise Your Fist and Yell (1987), Trash (1989) and Hey Stoopid (1991) - the metal years
  • The Last Temptation (1994) - a good one
  • Brutal Planet (2000) and Dragontown (2001) - very heavy and industrial
  • The Eyes of Alice Cooper (2003) and Dirty Diamonds (2005) - back to basics, almost garage punk
  • Along Came a Spider (2008) - I like this, but many other fans don't
  • Welcome 2 My Nightmare (2011) - possibly the best album since the 70's

For a new fan, just discovering Alice, you could do a lot worse than getting the 4 disc 'Life And Crimes Of Alice Cooper' set - it contains pretty much everything you need to know about the man and his music - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Crimes-...f+alice+cooper

Billion Dollar Babies has been remastered as a double disc special edition. The second disc contains live recordings of most of the album ('Mary-Ann' is missing) and some early demos

When I get the time, I am planning of doing an album-by-album, track-by-track critique of the entire Alice Cooper discography

troggi 28th March 2015 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 441746)

Raise Your Fist and Yell
Trash
The Last Temptation
The Eyes of Alice Cooper
Dirty Diamonds
Welcome 2 My Nightmare

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 441861)
  • Pretties for You (1969) and Easy Action (1970) - interesting curios, but by no means essential
  • Love It to Death (1971), Killer (1971), School's Out (1972), Billion Dollar Babies (1973) - classics. No record collection should be without them
  • Muscle of Love (1973) - good, but not essential
  • Welcome to My Nightmare (1975) - essential
  • Alice Cooper Goes to Hell (1976) and Lace and Whiskey (1977) - not essential, but worth getting. Alice does disco!
  • From the Inside (1978) - my personal favourite Alice album
  • Flush the Fashion (1980), Special Forces (1981), Zipper Catches Skin (1982) and DaDa (1983) - the 'forgotten years'. Recorded when Alice was an alcoholic, and by his own admission, he doesn't remember anything about them. All have some good songs, but none should be the first albums that you get
  • Constrictor (1986), Raise Your Fist and Yell (1987), Trash (1989) and Hey Stoopid (1991) - the metal years
  • The Last Temptation (1994) - a good one
  • Brutal Planet (2000) and Dragontown (2001) - very heavy and industrial
  • The Eyes of Alice Cooper (2003) and Dirty Diamonds (2005) - back to basics, almost garage punk
  • Along Came a Spider (2008) - I like this, but many other fans don't
  • Welcome 2 My Nightmare (2011) - possibly the best album since the 70's

For a new fan, just discovering Alice, you could do a lot worse than getting the 4 disc 'Life And Crimes Of Alice Cooper' set - it contains pretty much everything you need to know about the man and his music - The Life And Crimes Of Alice Cooper: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Billion Dollar Babies has been remastered as a double disc special edition. The second disc contains live recordings of most of the album ('Mary-Ann' is missing) and some early demos

When I get the time, I am planning of doing an album-by-album, track-by-track critique of the entire Alice Cooper discography

I, for one, am looking forward to Suzi's critique, I find her comments to be very fair and she has impeccable taste in music. I can't argue with Dem's and Suzi's picks but I would say that "Alice Cooper Goes to Hell" is an essential just to hear Alice "do" a Judy Garland, I love it. "Along Came a Spider" is great! Okay, a couple of tracks are a bit suspect and it is, in essence, a "concept album" but I love it ('specially as mine is a signed copy won from those nice folk at "Planet Rock")!

As for personal favourites- tricky but; "Love It to Death", "Killer", "Billion Dollar Babies", "From the Inside" (I still have a copy of the Marvel comic), "Flush the Fashion" (weird but I love it), "Trash", "Hey Stoopid", "The Last Temptation", "Brutal Planet", "Dragontown", "Along Came a Spider" and "Welcome 2 My Nightmare".

With regards to "Welcome 2 My Nightmare", try to get the "fan pack" if you can, the magazine that accompanies it is informative and has some great photos; "Brutal Planet" and "Dragontown" are often available as a twin pack.

Well that's my three pence worth, enjoy!:rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th March 2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 441864)
With regards to "Welcome 2 My Nightmare", try to get the "fan pack" if you can, the magazine that accompanies it is informative and has some great photos; "Brutal Planet" and "Dragontown" are often available as a twin pack.

I have the fan pack too. It's very good but without looking i'd say it would be going for silly money now.

VeZius 28th March 2015 05:37 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Really helpful of you. :) I'm surprised there isn't many remastered albums. I've collected pretty much everything David Bowie has done, and there's several remasters around!

Also I was looking at this boxset on Amazon US and the first reviewer is complaining about the set having 3 remastered albums and 2 old masters. Does he just not know what he is talking about then?

Suzi, I've been considering getting that Life and Crimes boxset, so maybe I'll make that my first purchase. :) It's also got the Jason song, "He's Back" on it, which has been playing in my head all the time lately (thanks to the several Friday 13ths lately). So I need to have that ASAP. :lol:

Susan Foreman 28th March 2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 441926)
Also I was looking at this boxset on Amazon US and the first reviewer is complaining about the set having 3 remastered albums and 2 old masters. Does he just not know what he is talking about then?

I would say 'go for it'. I don't have that particular release, but I would say that three out of the five Cd's are essential for Alice Cooper fans

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeZius (Post 441926)
Suzi, I've been considering getting that Life and Crimes boxset, so maybe I'll make that my first purchase. :) It's also got the Jason song, "He's Back" on it, which has been playing in my head all the time lately (thanks to the several Friday 13ths lately). So I need to have that ASAP. :lol:

There are actually two versions of 'He's Back' contained in the boxset. The first is the demo version, while the second is the the 'movie mix''. The actual song is found on the 'Constrictor' album

Susan Foreman 1st April 2015 08:43 AM

As promised/threatened a few posts ago, here is an Alice Cooper album-by-album, track by track discography. What I am going to try to do, is post at least one song every day, starting with the first album, and moving thru the entire discography, complete with my thoughts on the song, and any snippets of information I have regarding the track

So, lets go back in time to 1969, when the Alice Cooper Group released the 'Pretties For You' album. It is a real oddity baring few signs of what was to come. Showing the obvious influence of both Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa (on who's label it was orginally released) it shows a band still finding its legs but there are still some great tracks on offer. It is certainly not an essential purchase, but it is not as bad as some people would lead you to believe.

Dennis Dunaway still notes this as his favourite Alice Cooper record

Pretties For You was recorded in 1968, but not released until June 1969

Alice Cooper - Vocals and Harmonica
Neal Smith - Drums and Vocals
Dennis Dunaway - Bass and Vocals
Glen Buxton - Lead Guitar
Michael Bruce - Rhythm Guitar, Vocals, Piano and Organ

Producer Ian Underwood and Herb Cohen

The first two songs are linked. We first hear 'Titanic Overture', which is an instrumental, which leads into '10 Minutes Before The Worm'. The inspiration for the second song comes came from the old saying, The early bird gets the worm. But Dunaway would ask "Just how punctual was that bird? 5 minutes early? 10 minutes?"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSks0jw1L-U

1/13/ Titanic Overture (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

Instrumental

2/13/ 10 Minutes Before the Worm (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

"Let me be
What a way for one too realise
Gotta waste a bore now I see
How he is so happy feeling sad

Heavily Depressed

God I knew
Think I will enjoy the view
-oy the view, -oy the view
Everything is standing still
...ill ...ill"

troggi 1st April 2015 10:52 PM

I haven't listened to "Pretties for You" for going on for 18 years and I never listened to it much before that! I remember it being a little too... "Zappa-lite" in places, not that Zappa is in any way bad, it's just that all Alice seemed to be missing was the xylophone!

Thank you Suzi, I am (virtually) holding my breath until your next instalment.:thankingyou:

Susan Foreman 2nd April 2015 12:34 AM

The third song on the album is "Sing Low, Sweet Cheerio", and it is more psychedelic nonsense!

3/13/ Sing Low, Sweet Cheerio (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2CQ6nuDYs

"Forget, remember nothing please
The force came from the flame
I pass along the path inside
My light shining always

We'll get there first a name cried out
And looked back all the way
Recalling falling down
A lot of time was spent that way

But this story starin' me
Had already begun
'Cause I had some vision in my sight
On the journey to be one

Help me, help please, help me please
The screaming starts again
The trick I find, something hid
You look, you find, I win

While working while the play was on
The play was alright then
Think thoughts, big thoughts
Take off and go home, back next week again

Right then my story ended
And a new one had begun
'Cause I had some vision in my sight
On the journey to be one"

Track #4 is entitled 'Today Mueller', and once again it's amazing how different the band were in the 60's, to what the Alice Cooper Group (and later the solo artist) became.

The song was written about a friend of the band, who had the name Michelle Mueller. She was working as a secretary in Phoenix, Arizona. Her nickname was 'TOOTIE', although no one seems to remember why the band changed it from 'Tootie' to 'Today'.

In 2007, Dennis Dunaway remembers: "Tootie, who is always smiling, drove the Earwigs around in her baby-blue Mustang. [She was] among the first to support the band and we are still good friends."

[The Earwigs was the name of the band in 1964 - a pastiche of The Beatles]

4/13/ Today Mueller (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXJ_Zd9jX8w

"Today Mueller
Let it happen
Happy slappin', tappin' paddy-oh
She'd like to give her life away
Like to stay another day old
Try it out another way

Ah, today, today, today, today mueller
Give your notice of your leaving
Ah, today, today, today, today mueller
Don't tell them you will go with me
This will always be

Red rover, red rover
Pass under, pass over, pass through
And over, and over the White Cliffs of Dover with you
Today mueller
Make it happen "

Susan Foreman 2nd April 2015 03:10 PM

Two more songs from 'Pretties For You

Track #5 on the album is 'Living', and musically it is very much a slice of the 60's. Fuzz guitars to the fore!

Alice Cooper - Vocals & Harmonica

5/13/ Living (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeJVBZlC6s

"Living
I is only one part of being
Believing
Is to know just what you're feeling

You were so positive thing you know, you have
I'm sure that in knowing you're growing and it's you

Thinking
Is you're own road of living
Dreaming
Is the one way to being

Go in and your eye can see everything that`s you
The only real person you need to know is you

Ahhh..... oh
Living, Living, Living"

The final song on the first side of the original release is entitled 'Field Of Regret.

6/13/ Field Of Regret (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2qtl22OkA

"Forever I'll enjoy you undertaining
Come to see you every day now if I can
Is it not the time for everybody?
I still wake on the fields of regret

There is something to this dream we're all involved in
Can I see it, can I say it may exist
Why then don't the night show really matters
If we dwell in the fields of regret

What horror must invade the mind
When the approaching judge shall find
What sinful deeds from all mankind

With death and nature in surprise
Behold the wretched sinners rise
To meet the judge's searching eyes

And when the doomed no more can flee
From the flames of misery
Assist me while I die

Wander through those ever thoughts though if imagined
But come down on it's so easy to resist
Rest me, hide my years upon the planet.
Sound another, no part over, won't forget
When we laugh at the fields of regret. "

Susan Foreman 3rd April 2015 07:50 AM

Two more songs from 'Pretties For You

Track #7 on the album is 'No Longer Umpire', and again the influence of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd is unmistakable. I just wish it had a better drum sound!

7/13/ Living (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LJ0u3hjEtk

"We've been so caught up in the subject of personnel
Playing and acting, and slaving and bathing ourselves

Who lies and who tries to come over everyone
Painting a picture to show everyone in the world

Fearing is natural
New names and faces can bring
Build ups and barriers hiding behind everything

Who lies and who tries to come over everyone
Painting a picture to show everyone in the world "

This followed by the first of my two favourite songs on the album - 'Levity Ball'. I think this would work well if it was resurrected and played live

If you listen closely to the song, you will hear a string section. Alice has said that the weird part about this was there was no strings in the recording session! The real to real tape was erased before they recorded their cut, but something that was on before bled through in the same key!

8/13/ Levity Ball (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SIpSRHGTA

[I] "I got my invitation to the annual levity ball
Seeing the location was within the mirrored room
Walking in my room I found I had nothing to find
I got into my evening wear and left my clothes behind

I sat down on the stairway seven hours at a time
Writing all of this poetry that I knew would never rhyme
The memory I knew I must have had when I came in
Was off somewhere in places where I'd never ever been

And then in came a cake all decorated in my name
With four paper brown candles, are all spelling out the same
The clock was passing out from time to time I saw it all
Beginning of the ending for my first levity ball

Susan Foreman 4th April 2015 01:41 PM

Today's delights from 'Pretties For You

Track #9 on the album is 'B. B. On Mars', and it's another psychedelic/punk song! I like it. For some reason, it reminds me of some of the insidental music that was used in 'The Young Ones' television show from the 80's

Renfield, who was the personal assistant to Alice says: "I think it was Dennis who came up with that title [BB on Mars]. I think I once heard it wasn't a person at all but rather an actual BB. If that doesn't translate, a BB is a small ball bearing. So, I guess it means a small metal ball on a big red ball. Those guys were messed up back then."

9/13/ B. B. On Mars (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVAxe28O80s

"(I stop, we stop)
Go
Now let's see what's going on
See inside
It's quiet inside, see
Now let's hear what's going on
Here inside "

Track #10, 'Reflected;, is the second of my personal favourites on the album. Fans of the band will detect a bit of fore-shadowing here. The song was later reworked, and it became 'Elected' on the "Billion Dollar Babies" album

10/13/ Reflected (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--8-naD3SI

[I] "Look upstanding with your head held high
You will be reflected
You look outstanding with your eyes in disguise
Just beyond your mask-qes

Holy, Hollywood (he), it's divine
I'm surely glad, I'm surely all the time
And even though I'm, you will always hear

Very rarely worry upmost constantly
Could you be receptive
Our life's outstanding in a shower please
Wet my skids a plenty

Baby, what a day all over town
I'm surely glad, I'm surely all around
And even since I knew, it's all so clear

You will be reflected
You will be reflected
You will be reflected
You will be reflected, reflected

Yeah..."

Susan Foreman 6th April 2015 07:59 AM

Two more songs from 'Pretties For You. Don't worry - we have almost finished this album!!!

Track #11 on the album is 'Apple Bush', and like the other songs on the album, it is very much a product of its' time

11/13/ Apple Bush (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEcofEk1wSA

"But over in a land that's in my back yard
There's a people who succeed, they don't try hard

Well, they found a way to live with ease
By eating from the bush instead of the trees

Apple bush, apple tree
Path to eternity
Find you a path and you follow the call

Apple bush, apple tree
Back to eternity
Cut you a path with a chance you may fall

Well, over in a corner, standing there
Telling my house that they haven't a single care

But my house does not listen (worry) it's got a path of it's own
Yet the bush, and a tree, never leave it alone

Apple Bush, apple tree
Back to eternity
Find you a path and you buy with a call

Apple bush, apple tree
Back to eternity
Cut you a path with a chance you may fall

Someday like my house you're going to chose too
If you cut this new path well the old one will do
and you live with the people who live with ease
The red apple bush, the blue apple tree "

Track #12, is 'Earwigs To Eternity', and it is a strange on! Presumably the fast section is supposed to conjure up the image of an earwig skitting around

One of the names used by the band, before they settled on Alice Cooper, was The Earwigs - a parody of The Beatles

12/13/ Earwigs To Eternity (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngc-3jBFeAM

[I] "Oh, four years long
And oh, what a song to hear, my dear
Four long years
Now we start to hear a whisper

Alice Cooper
All of the time we have
All of the time we had you
All of the time we have
All of the time we have

We are throwing all of our hands so high
You out there
[two voices at the same time]
Singing (playing) ditties (lovely) beautiful song (what a little song)
for you to be aware

Oh what a time we have
All of the time we have you
Oh what a time we have
All of the time we have
All of the time we have you

You're the one you're looking for
Let me in, let me in
Who's there, who's there, who's there "

Susan Foreman 6th April 2015 08:23 PM

The final song from 'Pretties For You' is entitled 'Changing Arranging'

13/13/ Changing Arranging (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7gsdQfIkyc

[I]"Ah.....
Ah.....
Oh....
I'm changing, arranging
Things I never thought I'd move before
I'm changing, arranging
To your personality I asked for it for

I need a soul who'll never say what I feel
Just fearing that I will accept the ideal
I look up high and I swear all I see
Is a carbon copy image of me

I'm dying, half trying
Baby, baby, for the rest of my life
I'm trying and dying
Maybe, maybe`s tryin' be my life

I've fight a never ending battle inside
Just trying to rectify my personal pride
I swear I don't know what it's got over me
But I know it doesn't want to be free

Oh.......
Oh....... "[/QUOTE]

So that is the first Alice Cooper Group album, and it probably comes as a bit of a surprise to those who are more familiar with the rock/metal music that was to come later. With the exception of the production, especially on the drums (which sound like empty boxes being hit), it's not a bad album I suppose

The band played a lot of shows in 1969 to promote the record, appearing with bands like The Doors, The Mothers Of Invention, The Byrds, Steve Miller Band, MC5, The Stooges etc.

A basic setlist for these shows comprised of:
  • No Longer Umpire
  • Today Mueller
  • 10 Minutes Before the Worm
  • Levity Ball
  • B.B. On Mars
  • Sing Low, Sweet Cheerio
  • Changing, Arranging.

The band also played a variety of non-album tracks in the early days, such as "Lay Down and Die, Goodbye" (which will turn on on the second album, 'Easy Action'), a reworked "Don't Blow Your Mind" and "Nobody Likes Me"

On September 13th, 1969, the band appeared at the Toronto Rock And Roll Revival Festival. This was the show which featured the infamous chicken incident. It was also at this show where the band recorded the live album 'Nobody Likes Alice Cooper'

This is the most widely reproduced Alice Cooper live recording. It has been released by many different labels under many titles and many album covers. These releases are not authorized Alice Cooper albums. However, they are not bootlegs as the recording is owned by a private party. Unfortunately, the private party was so uncaring in the production of these releases that two of the songs ("Ain't That Just Like a Woman" and "Goin' to the River") are NOT Alice Cooper at all (the actual performer is Ronnie Hawkins and they were recorded Hallmark Studios in Toronto in late 1964). Also, almost all of the song titles on the album were fabricated by the private party. The actual titles (shown here in parentheses) are mostly live versions of songs from "Pretties For You":
  • Ain`t That Just Like A Woman (not Alice)
  • Painting A Picture (No Longer Umpire)
  • An Instrumental (part of "Lay Down and Die, Goodbye")
  • I`ve Written Home To Mother (part of "Lay Down and Die, Goodbye")
  • Freak Out Song ('Don't Blow Your Mind' with different lyrics)
  • Going To The River (not Alice)
  • Nobody Likes Me (aka Freak Out)
  • Science Fiction (Fields Of Regret)

As already noted, this release has many titles, including:
  • Ain't That Just Like A Woman
  • Alice Cooper
  • Blood On My Chopper
  • Freak Out
  • Freak Out Song
  • Home To Mother
  • Ladies Man
  • Legends
  • Live At "Toronto"
  • Nobody Like Me
  • Nobody Likes Me
  • Painting a Picture
  • Rock Legends Vol. 2
  • Science Fiction
  • Slack Alice
  • Snorting Anthrax
  • Toronto Rock 'N' Roll Revival 1969 Vol. IV

Susan Foreman 7th April 2015 11:18 AM

1970 saw the release of the second Alice Cooper Group album - 'Easy Action'. By now, things were starting to come together although it would take a few more months before they really hit their stride. Many people, including Alice, often dismiss the first two albums but that's a shame as while not sounding like the later material they have a lot to offer. While not a place to start an Alice Cooper collection, 'Easy Action' should certainly not be ignored.

Alice Cooper - Vocals

Producer - David Briggs

The first song is 'Mr. and Misdemeanor', and it is a good start, showing some of the swagger that the band would develop over later albums.

TRIVIA: There is the first piece of the band acknowledging their past in the lyrics 'Here's new pretties for you', which refers to the first album, and 'Nobody likes me, but we adore you' which refers to one of the titles of the previous years live album

The name stated after Lucky Luciano is Kenneth Pasarelli, a bass player who back in those days played in a band called Zephyr and also with Tommy Bolin. Alice knew him and used his name as an inside joke

1/09 - Mr And Misdemeanor (Cooper, Bruce, Buxton, Dunaway, Smith.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odu_2o67n9c

" Mr and Misdemeanor
Middle of the roaders
Set beside the ocean
Landscapes alive agoshin'
Who put all of this in motion

Lucky Luciano
Kenneth Pasarelli
You take the modern mosquito
To every big city
I sit beside Misdemeanor
Here's new pretties for you

Nobody likes me, but we adore you
da da d-da da, yeah yeah yeah yeah

(cheers)

Nasty Misdemeanor
Kickin' in the windows
Parked beside the ocean
Landscapes alive agoshin'
Who put all of this in motion
da da d-da da, yeah yeah yeah yeah

The second song is 'Shoe Salesman', and it is another very different sounding song

Line up - as above, plus guest musician David Briggs - Piano

2/09 - Shoe Salesman (Cooper, Bruce, Buxton, Dunaway, Smith.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHsnLF7e-qI

"I know a shoe salesman
He's an acquaintance of mine
One day he showed me some
Marks on his arms in a line
I did not know what to say
"Do you think those freckles will stay?"

I need a popsicle
Do you want lemon or lime
I've got a special today
If you've got the time
Winking, she poked me in the side
"Well, we could go for a ride"

I did not know what to say
"Do you think those freckles will stay?"
Ha

Well, you think she will see, yeah
I don't think she will see

Hey, Yeah.."

Susan Foreman 9th April 2015 07:42 AM

Two more songs from 'Easy Action'.

Alice Cooper - Vocals

Track #3 is entitled 'Still No Air'. Musically it's a throwback to the fuzztone garage punk of the first album, and the main guitar riff reminds me of the one that will be used on a later song called 'Halo Of Flies' from the 'Killer' album

It's also the first song that quotes from Hollywood musicals. Witness the 'when you're a jet, you're a jet all the way' from "West Side Story". This will turn up again during the 'Gutter Cats' song from 'School's Out'

03/09 - Still No Air (Cooper, Bruce, Buxton, Dunaway, Smith.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGrKabEWZtM

"Who says the earth is crumbling
And no sky is falling through
Sometimes, I just.. can't.. die

The world should be resembling
But not just right out of view
Hold eggs I like to fry

(fight)

Easy action
Got a rocket in your pocket
When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette to your last dying day

Who says the earth is trembling
And there's still no air

(1 - 2 - 3 - 4)
Whoa, Easy Action"

Then we have 'Below Your Means', which is another heavily distorted song

This is a strange one - the lead vocals are provided by rhythm guitarist Michael Bruce, although Alice can still be heard in the background. I have no idea why Alice didn't sing lead on this!

04/09 - Below Your Means (Cooper, Bruce, Buxton, Dunaway, Smith.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQkmpgC0wEM

"Come with me and we'll play
You've got a lot, I'd like to stay
(So good, so far)

I see you playing right along
Sometimes it's better to belong

I'll sing, you feel my all night song
You know it's better to belong

Under the cover of a midnight scene
I got the sheets below your means"

Susan Foreman 11th April 2015 05:55 PM

With these two, we are halfway thru 'Easy Action'.

Alice Cooper - Vocals

Track #5 is entitled 'Return Of The Spiders'. It's a rock 'n roll song, which is dedicated to legendary 50's rocker Gene Vincent, whom the ACG supported in 1969

It should be noted that the title of the song doesn't appear in the lyrics

In the early 60's, when the band were originally known as The Earwigs, they changed their name to...The Spiders!

Drummer Neil Smith states that this is his favourite song on 'Easy Action'

05/09 - Return Of The Spiders (Cooper, Bruce, Buxton, Dunaway, Smith.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkgbw8EIhgA

" Well, stop.. look, and listen
There are hands that are gathered here
With my hands raised to speak
But you all won't hear
No, you all won't hear
We all won't hear

Let me in your living door
Let me in, knock knock I said, is there
Well, it's me they're reaching hand
And I'm coming after you
I'm coming after you
Coming after you

Well, I'm tired - yes I'm weary from my long journey
But I'm not yet all ready to rest
For you can come along with me
We go searching for rest, yes
Come on and search with me
Oh, search with me
Woah, search with me
Come on and search with me
Wo-woah, come on and search with me

Come on and search with me...
Come on and search with me... "

Then we have 'Laughing At Me', which is another piece of 1960's psychedelia

06/09 - Laughing At Me (Cooper, Bruce, Buxton, Dunaway, Smith.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMMIot1Hl6w

"If it's laughing you need
Then it's laughing indeed
And it's laughing at me
Yes, it's laughing at me

So I started to end
The beginning to end
Then I ended the end
Yes, I ended the end

And it's laughing, it's laughing at me"

Susan Foreman 15th April 2015 07:41 AM

Getting near to the end of the 'Easy Action' album now

Alice Cooper - Vocals

Track #7 is 'Refrigerator Heaven', and it's possibly the first song to feature the "sick" humour that Alice would become known for

Musically, again it's very reminiscent of the fuzztone sound used for the theme to the television show 'The Munsters'

'Refrigerator Heaven' appeared on a Straight Records sampler album called Zapped. On the sleeve under the listing for Side One - Track 6. Alice Cooper/Refrigerator Heaven, there is the following:

"Alice Cooper is a five-man group from Los Angeles, or maybe a four-woman-one-man group from Los Angeles, or maybe a five-woman group from Los Angeles. They get a bang, you see, out of playing off our confusion over their sexual alignment. Quite decidedly grotesque they are, but also visually stunning and quite impressive. According to the recent Newsweek article that spoke highly of them in relation to the dada-rock movement of which their sponsor, F. Zappa, is the founder, Alice was overjoyed early in the game to discover its ability to empty large clubs within minutes of coming on stage. Think about that, Will and Ariel.
David Briggs produced EASY ACTION, whence commeth "Refrigerator Heaven""

The title of this song would later be referenced in the song 'Cold Ethyl' from the 'Welcome To My Nightmare' album:

"If I live 'til ninety-seven
You'll still be waiting in refrigerator heaven"

07/09 - Refrigerator Heaven (Cooper, Bruce, Buxton, Dunaway, Smith.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80tHO1J0bZI

"(screams)

I'm freezing, I'm frozen, I'm icicle blue
(So low, low cool)
Cyber, neurotic, technicians imbue
(So low, low cool)
I've been admitted to Refrigerator Heaven
Until they discover the cure for cancer, I'm low
Refrigerator Heaven
So low, Refrigerator Heaven

I'm ice packed, I'm hand-stashed, I'm waiting for you
I'm older and younger, preserved in a tomb
I've been admitted to Refrigerator Heaven
I feel like I (told you a heart)
I won't get back 'till the sun sets down on the moon
Won't get back 'till m' sun sets down on the moon "

The penultimate track on the album is 'Beautiful Flyaway' which is a piano-led song.

Like 'Below Your Means', actually has guitarist Michael Bruce on vocals

08/09 - Laughing At Me (Cooper, Bruce, Buxton, Dunaway, Smith.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YoxSXeDYQ

"Beautiful flyaway
Somewhere like Holy Days
Wonder what brought me down to earth
Haven't I always been here
Let's have another nibble
Later I think I'll disappear into the bishop's mall
And take a look at what we offer
DDT poisoning me changing my relativity
What's it going to be

da da da da d-da
Later I think I'll disappear into another room
And take a look inside the till
Lovely days, human ways, journeys that take us to the end
Aah...

Haven't we always been here
Sharing one love and one fear
Some day you'll know that life is really, really all about you
So come and look inside
You'll be surprised to find
Later I think I'll disappear into another womb
And take a look inside the mens' room
Haven't I given you everything that I could give
Where do you live
Aah..."

Susan Foreman 16th April 2015 11:38 PM

The final song from 'Easy Action' is more weirdness, in the form of a song entitled 'Lay Down And Die Goodbye'

It's a return to the psychedelic music from 'Pretties For You'. To me, it sounds like a complete mish-mash of sounds, with no redeeming features whatsoever!

The majority of the 'vocals' are provided by Tommy Smothers, from the American comedy act The Smothers Brothers - he is possibly best know for the clip of The Who performing 'My Generation', when Keith Moon blew up his drum kit! Alice only appears for the final verse

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Tommy Smothers - Vocals

09/09/ Lay Down And Die Goodbye (Cooper, Buxton, Bruce, Dunaway, Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtNYzkpyAkQ

"[Tom Smothers]
You are the only censor. If you don't like what I say, you have a
choice. You can turn me off..

[Tom Smothers]
You are the only censor
If you don't like what I say, you have a choice. You can turn me off..

Well I've written home to mother
The ink ran from my tear
I said "Momma, momma please
Tell me why you brought me""

The band played very few songs to promote the album, and the ones that they did play were were more geared towards to songs on the forthcoming album - 'Love It To Death'

Bands supported at this time include Ted Nugent, Ten Years After, The Small Faces (featuring Rod Stewart!), Frank Zappa and Eric Burden

A sample setlist for these shows comprised of:
  • Sun Arise
  • Mr and Misdemeanor
  • Fields of Regret
  • I'm Eighteen
  • Levity Ball
  • Is It My Body
  • Nobody Likes Me
  • Black Juju (which is really an instrumental Lay Down and Die, Goodbye)

Susan Foreman 18th April 2015 01:27 PM

After two less then successful albums, the Alice Cooper Group finally hit paydirt in 1971. What happened? They met a producer by the name of Bob Ezrin and recorded their first classic album, 'Love It To Death'

The recognisable Cooper sound is still here in spades, but under Ezrin the group's songwriting has moved light years forward.

To my mind, there are only two sub-standard songs, (one I find tedious, and one which is a joke), and as such, this release is essential for any rock fan

The album has come to be seen as a foundational influence on hard rock, punk, and heavy metal, and several tracks are still very much a part of the Alice Cooper live show

Producer - Jack Richardson and Bob Ezrin

The first song is 'Caught In A Dream', and it is instantly accessible

Bob Ezrin plays keyboards on the track

1/09 - Caught In A Dream (Bruce)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRFnnVMawpY

"Well I'm runnin through the world
with a gun in my back
tryin' to catch a ride in a Cadillac
Thought that I was livin'
but you can't really tell
been tryin' to get a whiff of that success smell

You know I need a houseboat and I need a plane
I need a butler and a trip to Spain
I need everything
the world owes me
I tell that to myself
and I agree

I'm caught in a dream
So What!
You don't know what I'm goin' through
I'm right in between
So I'll
I'll just play along with you

Well I'm runnin' through the world
with a gun in my back
tryin' to catch a ride in that Cadillac
thought I was livin'
but you can't never tell
what I thought was heaven
turned out to be hell

Whoa-o-oh
When you see me with a smile on my face
Whoa-o-oh
Then you'll know I'm a mental case

I'm caught in a dream
So what!
I don't know what I'm going through
I'm right in between
So I'll
I'll just play along with you

Whoa-o-oh Oh
Whoa-o-oh Oh
Whoa-o-oh"

The second song on the album is 'I'm Eighteen', and this song shouldn't need any introduction!

Rolling Stone magazine has it at #482 on their list of the greatest 500 songs of all time

This was a big hit single in America, and has been seen as the U.S answer to The Who's song 'My Generation' - a teenage delinquent anthem!

The Ramones song "I Don't Care" is based on the chords of the main riff to this song, and John Lydon wrote the song "Seventeen" (on the Sex Pistols album 'Never Mind the Bollocks') in response to it. It is said to have been the song that he mimed to, when auditioning for the Sex Pistols.

Thrash metal band Anthrax covered it on their debut album

It is still played in the Alice Cooper sets of today, and any live pictures you see where he is holding a crutch - you can guarantee that it is this song which is being played

2/09 - I'm Eighteen (Bruce, Cooper, Dunaway, Smith, Buxton.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOKh3_zg4xo

"Lines form on my face and hands
Lines form from the ups and downs
I'm in the middle without any plans
I'm a boy and I'm a man

I'm eighteen and I don't know what I want
Eighteen I just don't know what I want
EighteenI gotta get away
I gotta get out of this place
I'll go runnin' in outer space
Oh yeah

I got a baby's brain and an old man's heart
Took eighteen years to get this far
Don't always know what I'm talkin' about
Feels like I'm livin in the middle of doubt
Cause I'm

Eighteen I get confused every day
Eighteen I just don't know what to say
Eighteen I gotta get away

Whoa
Lines form on my face and my hands
Lines form on the left and right
I'm in the middle
the middle of life
I'm a boy and I'm a man
I'm eighteen and I LIKE IT
Yes I like it
Oh I like it
Love it
Like it
Love it
Eighteen!
Eighteen!
Eighteen!
Eighteen and I LIKE IT"

Susan Foreman 19th April 2015 09:28 AM

The final two songs that make up the first side of 'Love It To Death'

03/09 - Long Way To Go (Bruce)

Another good, rocking song

The album title crops up in the lyrics of this song

Bob Ezrin plays keyboards on the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S0830t3ftM

"We still got a long way to go
We still got a long way to go
We all got a long way to go

What's keeping us apart isn't selfishness
What's holding us together isn't love
Listen to the man who's been
touched all his life
Yes he's the one they call the fool

Where is the saviour of the sidewalk life
and the road that takes us to the crusades
I've seen those shadows
as they're moving in my sleep
leading the blind poet to his grave

Yes we all got a long way to go

Please don't waste your energy on me my friend
cause we still got a long way to go
we'll meet again some day
but right now just go away
'cause I still got a long way to go

The silence is speaking
so why am I weeping
I guess I love it
I love it to death

Yes we still got a long way to go
Yes we still got a long way to go
Yes we all got a long way to go"

Song #4 is 'Black Juju' an epic length (over 9 minutes) number which harkens back to the psychedelic sound of the first two albums. Musically, it is very reminiscent of Pink Floyd's "Interstellar Overdrive", while the vocal delivery reminds me a lot of Jim Morrison

It might be a fan favourite, but I find it tedious to the extreme

Allegedly, the song was recorded in one take, live in the studio

The title comes from the name of a dog that would 'hang around the neighbourhood'!

04/09 - Black Juju (Dunaway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbYf0hFowm4

"Body
Body

Touched by the toil and plunged into his arm
Cursed through the night through eyes of alarm
A melody black flowed out of my breath
Searching for death, but bodies need rest

Body

Under the soil now waiting for worms
All that I feared is all that I've learned
All that I know is all that I think
Dead feelings are cool, down lower I sink, ah-hah

Bodies need rest
Wwe all need our rest
Sleep an easy sleep
Rest
Rest
Bodies need their rest
We all need our rest
Sleep an easy sleep
Rest
Rest
Rest
Rest
But come back in the morning

Come back hard

Wake up
Wake up
Wake up
Wake up

Bodies
Clutching and biting my soul has caught on fire
My evil is now and I'm caught up in desire
Everything I'm living for is all that I am
Liking it and loving it that's all in the plan

Black Juju"

Susan Foreman 21st April 2015 01:11 PM

Two more good ones from 'Love It To Death'

05/09 - Is It My Body (Bruce, Cooper, Dunaway, Smith, Buxton)

This was the 'B' side to the 'I'm Eighteen' single

The lyrics were partly inspired by being depressed in the Abbot Hotel in Greenwich Village.

It's a stage favourite, and regularly crops up in the live set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlaq8-bLvA

"What have I got
that makes you want to love me
Now is it my body
Someone I might be
Somethin' inside me

You better tell me
Tell me
It's really up to you
Have you got the time to find out
Who I really am

What does it take
to get inside of your mind
Give me a break, yeah, yeah
and take a chance for the very first time

You better tell me
Tell me
It's really up to you
Who I really am

What have I got
That makes you want to love me
Now is it my body
Or someone I might be
Or somethin' inside me

You better tell me
Tell me
It's really up to you
Who I really am
Oh.."

Next is 'Hallowed By My Name', which is quite a spooky song!

It's the first of two songs on the album that deal with religion (both Alice Cooper and Neil Smith had very religion upbringings)

Bob Ezrin plays keyboards on the song

06/09 - Hallowed By Thy Name (Smith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOxdPDnt1Y4

"Gather round right now and hear me whisper
The words of the prison, the words of laughter
The lords and the ladies were fixing their hair-dos
Cursing their lovers
cursing the Bible

Hallow-ed by my name
Yelling at fathers
Screaming at mothers
Hallow-ed by my name

Come all you sinners, come now in your glory
And my ears will listen to your dirty stories
You're fighting to go up, 'cause you're on your way down
Cursing their lovers
Cursing the Bible

Hallow-ed by my name
Yelling at fathers
Screaming at mothers
Hallow-ed by my name

Sluts and the hookers have taken your money
The queens are out dancing but now they`re not funny
'Cause there goes one walkin' away with your sonny
Cursing their lovers
Cursing the Bible

Hallow-ed by my name
Yelling at fathers
Screaming at mothers
Hallow-ed by my name"

Nordicdusk 21st April 2015 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 161704

My mate just came back from his lunch in work with this . Gutted I missed out on it.

Susan Foreman 21st April 2015 11:08 PM

That's a good compilation, released in 1974, featuring songs from 'Love It To Death', 'Killer', School's Out', Billion Dollar Babies' and 'Muscle Of Love'

The songs were remixed by Jack Richardson

The album's gatefold cover art was designed by Ernie Cefalu and features:

Back/Front Cover, left to right:

Humphrey Bogart
Robert Taylor
Clark Gable
Edward G. Robinson
?? (John Barrymore, or possibly William Powell?)
Jean Harlow
Peter Lorre
Glen Buxton
Dennis Dunaway
Alice Cooper
Michael Bruce
Neal Smith
Groucho Marx

Inner Sleeve:

Groucho Marx
Jean Harlow
Joan Crawford (?)
Errol Flynn
Clara Bow
William Bendix
Edward G. Robinson
Lillian Gish (?)
Marilyn Monroe
Gary Cooper
Judy Garland
Alan Ladd
Basil Rathbone
Tallulah Bankhead (or possibly Gretta Garbo)
Humphrey Bogart
Boris Karloff
Michael Bruce
(Dwight Frye in background)
Bela Lugosi
Glen Buxton
Veronica Lake
Alice Cooper
Clark Gable
Neal Smith
Dennis Dunaway
Betty Grable
Marlene Dietrich or Carole Lombard
Dick Powell
Jean Arthur
Tyrone Power

Nordicdusk 21st April 2015 11:11 PM

Thanks for that post Suzi we were going through the faces naming them and Veronica Lake was the one name I could not remember and what makes it worse i was only watching her in a film last week.

Susan Foreman 22nd April 2015 08:34 AM

Motley Crue, Still with Alice as support, have added some more dates to their American tour:

October 5 - Hidalgo, TX @ State Farm Arena
October 7 - Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
October 8 - Little Rock, AR @ Verizon Arena
October 10 - Evansville, IN @ The Ford Center
October 11 - Lexington, KY @ Rupp Arena
October 13 - Grand Rapids, MI @ Van Andel Arena
October 14 - Buffalo, NY @ First Niagra Center
October 16 - Bridgeport, CT @ Webster Bank Arena
October 17 - Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena
October 18 - Bangor, ME @ Cross Insurance Center
December 4 - Lincoln, NE @ Pinnacle Bank Arena
December 7 - Sioux Falls, SD @ Denny Sanford Premier Center
December 8 - Grand Forks, ND @ Alerus Center
December 10 - Saskatoon, SA @ SaskTel Centre
December 12 - Edmonton, AB @ Rexall Place
December 13 - Calgary, AB @ ScotiaBank Saddledome
December 15 - Portland, OR @ Moda Center
December 19 - Phoenix, AZ @ U.S. Airways Center
December 20 - San Diego, CA @ Viejas Arena
December 22 - Anaheim, CA @ Honda Center
December 27 - Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Arena

It's looking less and less likely that we will get any Alice activity this side of the pond this year

Susan Foreman 22nd April 2015 12:59 PM

The discography continues, and again here are two more good songs from 'Love It To Death'

07/09 - Second Coming (Cooper)

This is the second of the 'religious' songs on the album

Keyboards are by Bob Ezrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swJPuN-To24

" I couldn't tell if the bells are getting louder
The songs they ring I finally recognize
I only know Hell is getting hotter
The Devil's getting smarter all the time

And it would be nice to walk upon the water
To talk again to angels on my side

Time is getting closer
I read it on a poster
fanatical exposers on corners prophesized

It would be nice to walk upon the water
To talk again to angels at my side
I just come back to show you all my words are golden
So have no gods before me, I'm the light."

The annoying thing here is that the keyboards at the end of the song finish very abruptly. However, on the album, they lead into 'The Ballad Of Dwight Frye'

The song is a stage favourite, and is still included in the live shows. Any pictures you see of Alice performing in the straight jacket is almost certainly during a performance of this song

When performed live, the song always seems to be edited - the final verse ('I grabbed my hat...') is always omitted. I don't think I have ever heard the full version on stage

Legend has it, that Alice was 'buried' under a pile of chairs when recording the track, which resulted in the claustrophobic panic in his voice during the 'I've got to get out of here' parts of the song

It's been suggested that this is the introduction of the Steven character, and should be seen as the genesis to the 'Welcome To My Nightmare' album

Dwight Frye shouldn't need any introduction to anyone on this forum

The child's voice at the start of the song was provided by Monica Lauer, who was a friend of the band. She was actually in her early twenties when the recording was made

Bob Ezrin plays keyboards on the song

08/09 - The Ballad Of Dwight Frye (Bruce, Cooper)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwPxB_F7ok0

"[Little girl]
Mommy where's daddy?
He's been gone for so long.
Do you think he'll ever come home?

I was gone for fourteen days
I coulda been gone for more
Held up in the intensive care ward
Lyin' on the floor
I was gone for all those days
But I, was not all alone
I made friends with a lot of people
In the danger zone

See my lonely life unfold
I see it every day
See my lonely mind explode
Since I've gone away

I think I lost some weight there
and I, I'm sure I need some rest
Sleepin don't come very easy
In a straight white vest
Should like to see that little children
She's only four years old.. old
I'd give her back all of her play things
even, even the ones I stole

I see it everyday
When I've gone insane

I wanna get out of here
I wanna get out of here
I, I've gotta, I've gotta get out of here
I, I gotta get out of here
I, I gotta get out of here
IgottagetoutahereIgottagetoutahereIgottagetoutaher e
Ya gotta let me out of here
Let me outta her
etc

I see it everyday
Blown up in my face

I grabbed my hat and I got my coat
and I, I ran into the street
I saw a man that was choking there
I guess he couldn't breathe
Said to myself this is very strange
I'm glad it wasn't me
But now I hear those sirens callin'
and so I am not free
I didn`t wanna be
I didn`t wanna be
I didn`t wanna be

(I didn`t wanna be)
I see it every day
(Leave me alone
I didn`t wanna be
Don't touch me!)
When I've gone Insane"

Susan Foreman 25th April 2015 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As noted in my introduction to 'Love It To Death', the album contains (what I consider to be) one tedious song, and one joke song. This is the joke one!

The final song on the album is a cover of the Rolf Harris tune 'Sun Arise'

Whatever possessed the band to do this, I shall never know!

Alice Cooper - Vocals

09/09/ Sun Arise (Butler, Harris)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki6m_za9Zzw

"Sun Arise come every mornin'
Sun Arise come every mornin'
Sun Arise come every mornin'
Bringin' back the warmth to the ground

Sun Arise fillin' up the hollow

Sun Arise, she come every mornin'
Sun Arise, each and every day
Sun Arise, she come every mornin'
Sun Arise
Every every every every

She drive away the darkness everyday
She drive away the darkness everyday
She drive away your darkness everyday

Sun Arise, whoa-oh-oh
Sun Arise, whoa-oh-oh
Sun Arise, whoa-oh-oh
Ever-y ever-y ever-y ever-y
(repeat to fade)"

It was during 1971 when the Alice Cooper Group made their first appearance in England. On Nov 3rd, they recorded an appearance on 'The Old Grey Whistle Test', performing `Under My Wheels` and `Is It My Body?' and the following day they made their live debut at the Mayfair Suite/Kinetic Circus, Birmingham, England where (legend has it) Robert Plant in audience.

On Nov 7th, the band appeared at the Rainbow Theatre in London, with Arthur Brown, and Roger Ruskin Spear as support. This show had David Bowie in the audience, and was the first show to feature a snake. The review for this show appears below

On the 'Love It To Death' tour, many familiar props had already appeared. The show featured the 'Electric Chair' and The Straightjacket for 'Dwight Fry'. Cindy Smith (sister to Neal) who became Cindy Dunaway (wife to Dennis) started to play a nurse on-stage around this time as well.

A sample setlist for these shows comprised of:
  • Sun Arise
  • Caught in a Dream
  • I'm Eighteen
  • Is it my Body-My Very Own
  • Second Coming-The Ballad of Dwight Fry
  • Black Juju
  • Return of the Spiders

troggi 26th April 2015 10:53 PM

Suzi, I am greatly impressed by your encyclopaedic knowledge of "The Coop!" This is one of the best ever uses of a thread in a forum in cyber history, as far as I'm concerned. Thankyou:thankingyou:

Susan Foreman 27th April 2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 446764)
Suzi, I am greatly impressed by your encyclopaedic knowledge of "The Coop!" This is one of the best ever uses of a thread in a forum in cyber history, as far as I'm concerned. Thankyou:thankingyou:

Thank you. That is a lovely thing for you to say xx

Susan Foreman 27th April 2015 11:49 PM

How do you follow up the release of an essential (but slightly flawed) album? Easy - you release an even more essential (and less flawed) album!

1971 saw the release of 'Killer', the second album release of the year by the Alice Cooper Group. It is arguably THE classic Cooper album, and it contains everything from classic rock 'n' roll songs to epic horror tunes and basic garage rock to overblown grandeur

If the band had 'arrived' with 'Love It To Death', with 'Killer' they made themselves at home at the top of their game. John Lydon has described this as being the greatest album ever recorded

The snake on the cover is Neal's snake Kachina.

Dennis Dunaway provided the lettering for Killer, using his left hand (he's right handed) because he felt that gave it a more eerie look.

Bob Ezrin - Keyboards, Mini-Moog

Producer - Bob Ezrin

The opening song is 'Under My Wheels', which the band performed on 'The Old Grey Whistle Test', when they made their debut in England

It is very much a stage favourite, and still part of the live show

In 1998, it was re-recorded by Alice as a duet with Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses for the film 'The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years'

Bob Ezrin plays keyboards on the original track
Additional guitar is performed by Rick Derringer

01/08 - Under My Wheels (Bruce, Dunaway, Ezrin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWE-j9WGoQ

" The telephone is ringing
You got me on the run
I'm driving in my car now
Anticipating fun
I'm driving right up to you, babe
I guess that you couldn't see, yeah yeah
But you under my wheels
Why don't you let me be

'Cause when you call me on the telephone
Saying "take me to the show"
And then I say, honey, I just can't go
Old lady's sick and I can't leave her home

The telephone is ringing
You got me on the run
I got you under my wheels
Yeah yeah

Telephone is ringing
You got me on the run
Anticipating fun
I'm driving right up to you, babe
I guess you that couldn't see, yeah yeah
But you were under my wheels, honey
Why don't you let me be, yeah yeah
I got you under my wheels, yeah
I got you under my wheels, wheels, wheels
Got you, got you got you...."

The second song on the album is 'Be My Lover', and this is a personal favourite of mine. Some people have commented that the song is a bit over-the-top at the end with the excessive showgirl campness, but I think that makes the song

The click sound at the end of the song is Neal dropping his sticks. Michael Bruce has met many musicians (drummers) who cover the song and try to imitate the sound not knowing it was an accident. In 1998, Neil explained: "I used to drive Bob Ezrin crazy by twirling my sticks, as I do after every song. This made Bob crazy because if I dropped them, we would have to do the song over again". They decided to leave the "click" in."

02/08 - Be My Lover (Bruce)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCOuxDbuqmc

"She struts into the room, wellI don't know her
But with a magnifying glance I just sort of look her over
We have a drink or two, well, maybe three
And then suddenly she starts telling me her life story
She says

Baby, if you wanna be my lover
You better take me home
'Cause it's a long, long way to paradise
And I'm still on my own

Told her that I came from Detroit City
And I played guitar in a long-haired rock and roll band
She asked me why the singers name was Alice
I said listen, baby, you really wouldn't understand
And I said

Baby, if you wanna be my lover
You better take me home
'Cause it's a long, long way to paradise
And I'm still on my own
On my own

Oh baby, if you wanna be my lover
You better take me home
'Cause it's a long long way to paradise
And I'm still on my own
Ooooooh"

Susan Foreman 29th April 2015 09:15 AM

Two classic songs finish the first side of 'Killer'

Track #3 is 'Halo Of Flies'. At over 8 minutes in length, the song starts with some guitar that is supposed to sound like buzzing flies coming, one by one, to circle around your head. After that, the song makes many musical twists and turns. It's fascinating to hear this develop. It takes about the two-minute mark before Alice starts singing! Despite the length of the song, you never once get the feeling that they are repeating themselves.

According to Alice, the song was an attempt by the band to prove that they could perform King Crimson-like progressive rock suites, and was supposedly about a spy organisation.

Michael Bruce has stated that "the song was basically a mixture of three different songs that the band had been working on, then Alice kind of strung them all together using a central "spy theme""

Lyrics and a melody in the song parody 'My Favourite Things' from 'The Sound Of Music'

An ex-girlfriend of Alice, Cindy Laing, came up with the title of the song

03/08 - Halo Of Flies (Cooper, Smith, Dunaway, Bruce, Buxton)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI2TT5L4iEQ

"I've got the answers to all of your questions
If you've got the money to pay me in gold
I will be living in old Monte Carlo
And you will be reading the secrets I sold

Daggers and contacts and bright shiny limos
I've got a watch that turns into a lifeboat
Glimmering nightgowns, poisonous cobras
Silencer under the heel of my shoe

The elegance of China
They sent her to lie here on her back
But as she deeply moves me
She'd rather shoot me in my tracks

And while a Middle Asian lady
She really came as no surprise
But I still did destroy her
And I will smash
Halo of flies

I cross the ocean where no one could see
And I put a time-bomb in your submarine
Goodbye to old friends, the secret's in hand
With phonyed up papers and counterfeit plans
You never will understand"

The final song on side one is 'Desperado', which originally had the working title 'Desert Nights'

Allegedly, this was written about Alice's drinking buddy Jim Morrison (from The Doors), but it's also been suggested that it's about Robert Vaughn's character from the movie 'The Magnificent Seven'

04/08 - Desperado (Cooper, Bruce)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_eZAS4dp6s

"I'm a gambler and I'm a runner
But you knew that when you lay down
I'm a picture of ugly stories
I'm a killer and I'm a clown

Step into the street by sundown
Step into your last goodbye
You're a target just by living
Twenty dollars will make you die

I wear lace and I wear black leather
My hands are lightning upon my gun
My shots are clean and my, my shots are final
My shots are deadly and when it's done

You're as stiff as my smoking barrel
You're as dead as a desert night
You're a notch and I'm a legend
You're at peace and I must hide

Tell me where the hell I'm going
Let my bones fall in the dust
Can you hear that ghost that's calling
As my Colt begins to rust
In the dust

I'm a killer, I'm a clown
I'm a priest that's gone to town"

troggi 1st May 2015 10:18 AM

"Killer" is a great early Alice offering, I agree that it's an "essential" if only for "Desperado" and "Halo of Flies"! A brilliant vynyl album sleeve too, if you can find an intact one, for the 1971 calendar.

Inspector Abberline 3rd May 2015 09:23 AM

fangoria #307

7 Attachment(s)
Alice in Fang #307
https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...1&d=1430644759
Attachment 162961Attachment 162962Attachment 162963Attachment 162964
Attachment 162965Attachment 162966Attachment 162967