Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Alice Cooper Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11713-alice-cooper-thread.html)

Susan Foreman 1st July 2020 12:41 PM

New Hollywood Vampires dates:

05 Aug Birmingham, UK
06 Aug Leeds, UK
07 Aug Glasgow, UK
09 Aug London, UK
12 Aug Charlotta, PL
14 Aug Mainz, DE
15 Aug Munich, DE
18 Aug Berlin, DE
22 Aug Lingen, DE
23 Aug Paris, FR
25 Aug Hamburg, DE
26 Aug Oberhausen, DE
28 Aug Aarburg, GH
29 Aug Klam, AT
01 Sep Sofia, BG
04 Sep Istanbul, TU

Looks like the support act on the UK dates is now Killing Joke, and not Primal Scream

Thompson 8th July 2020 11:24 PM

Oh, but he's back. He's the man behind the mask, and he's after your soul...

I think that's a fun song. :rockon:

Susan Foreman 11th July 2020 06:35 AM

Official ALICE COOPER Chocolate Milk Coming This Fall | Blabbermouth

"Danzeisen Dairy will release a special edition Alice Cooper chocolate milk bottle at retail grocers and for home delivery across Arizona this fall. Proceeds will benefit Solid Rock, the nonprofit organization Alice and his wife, Sheryl, founded in 1995. The organization operates The Rock Teen Center, a 28,000-square-foot facility in Phoenix where people ranging from ages 12 to 20 can get free instruction in music (both instrument lessons and recording studio training), dance, art, film and photography, among many other artistic options.

This past April, Alice told SPIN magazine that Solid Rock is something he and his wife feel driven to do.

"We're based on a Christian ethic," he said. "The kids say, 'Why are you doing this?' and we tell them, 'Because the Lord told us to. We don't want anything from you except you to show up and create.' And they say, 'Well, what do you get out of it?' And I go, 'Watching you create!' That's all there is to it." Another reason for doing this, he added, is that "We feel that every teenager is at risk — not just the ones that come from the gang world. They're all in trouble unless they have some guidance."

Alice told The East Valley Tribune that the teen center provides kids with an opportunity to find a purpose in life.

"We've noticed there were kids coming in and parents would say to us, 'I don't know what you're doing, but my kid's getting better grades. My kids are talking to me now. My kids are wanting to do things at home with us because when they get into that school, they open up,'" Alice said.

"It's easy when you're a teenager to get introverted because you're, everybody's against me," he added. "I was a teenager. I was like that."

Cooper said his reason for funding the centers is to give youngsters a calling in life.

"There's nothing like watching a student perform or achieve something in music they never thought possible, he said.

"You can blossom. You have that option to blossom," he added. "And I noticed kids that blossom are the ones that are really going to do something." "

Susan Foreman 11th July 2020 03:21 PM

New interview at Yahoo Sports

"Alice Cooper talks early-'80s 'blackout albums': 'The coke had done its damage'

Alice Cooper is one of the all-time most resilient rock stars, surviving not only a serious battle with addiction but myriad changes in the musical landscape. Even when the shock-rocker went new wave for a while, starting with the 1980 album Flush the Fashion (which was billed to “Alice Cooper 80”), he found success. The album spawned the Gary Numan-esque crossover hit “Clones (We’re All),” which cracked the Billboard Top 40 forty years ago this week and was even covered by the Smashing Pumpkins in 1996.

Cooper acknowledges that the album was a risk, and that not all of his rock-purist fans appreciated the sonic experiment, but he tells Yahoo Entertainment, “Sometimes you have to bring them along. You have to just say, ‘Look, we're going here this time.’” And he stands by the record, which he thinks stayed true to the classic Alice aesthetic — despite the shift not only in his sound but in his image, when he pretty much started dressing like an outer-space version of New Romantic swashbuckler Adam Ant.

“I didn't want to get the guitars out of it. I wanted it to be a guitar-rock album as always, but it was the first time that I got a heavy dose of synthesizer,” Cooper recalls of Flush the Fashion. “And it was because of Roy Thomas Baker, who produced the album — he produced Queen and the Cars and everybody like that. I said, ‘I would like to do something that sounds modern, but it doesn't lose Alice. You know, I want to keep Alice in there.’ And he says, ‘Well, Alice could be sci-fi. Can't he?’ And I went, ‘Absolutely. Let's go sci-fi on this.’

“So, a lot of the songs in there, especially ‘Clones,’ were very sci-fi, and I thought that was not a bad little offshoot for Alice. … I heard the album and I loved what [Baker] did with it. I liked the picture on the back with the short hair. It was very underground.”

At the time, Cooper was known for his excess and exploits, but he says Baker totally had him beat in the debauchery department. “If they ever make a movie about Nero or Caligula, Roy Thomas Baker at that period would have been the guy, because at that time he was the most decadent human being I ever met in my life,” Cooper chuckles. “I'd get calls like, ‘Alice, darling, I'll be a little late. I seem to be handcuffed to my bed. I picked up a couple of chippies last night and they stole my wallet. Is my Rolls Royce at your house? Because I can't find it.’ I was not the insane one in that! Roy Thomas Baker was by far the most insane character that I'd worked with.”

However, the most insane, Caligulan era in Cooper’s life came soon after Flush the Fashion, while making the similarly polarizing trilogy Special Forces (1981), Zipper Catches Skin (1982), and DaDa (1983), which he now calls his “blackout albums.”

“I was basically writing these trippy little songs that now I listen to, and I don't remember writing them. I don't remember producing them. I don't remember touring with them. I might have been involved in the cocaine blizzard that was going on in Los Angeles at the time,” the now-sober 72-year-old confesses.

“I really don't remember touring with them, honestly. And I look at pictures and I go, ‘Wow! What did I become?’ There were shots of me, on the Special Forces album especially, where the coke had done its damage. I was always able to go onstage and really entertain the audience — that was no problem — but I did one of those big talk shows, and I was terrifying-looking. It scared me!”

Cooper describes his emaciated appearance at the time as “soldier of fortune that's on meth and he's capable of killing anybody. That's what [the early-‘80s Alice character] looked like.”

Cooper got clean for good in the mid-‘80s, and now that he’s able to revisit his “blackout albums” with a clear mind, he is proud of those largely forgotten records as well. “Now I listen to them and I go, ‘Wow! That song is so good!’” he says. “I am almost tempted to go back into those albums and reproduce some of those songs, because some of the songs were so clever that I hate to see them just disappear.”"

Susan Foreman 18th July 2020 06:34 AM

ALICE COOPER Is Once Again Collaborating With Hitmaker DESMOND CHILD | Blabbermouth

"Grammy-winning and Emmy-nominated songwriter-producer Desmond Child, who is widely recognized as one of music's most accomplished hitmakers, has revealed that he is working on new music with legendary rocker Alice Cooper.

This past Wednesday (July 15), Desmond took to his social media to write:
"SCHOOL'S OUT FOR THE SUMMER! Alice Cooper and I are cooking up a ginormous, poisonous anthemic masterpiece for next year. So exciting to work with the rock genius & visionary Alice Cooper again. Remember our album TRASH? Listen to it from start to finish now. Sounds like we just recorded last week... it's eternal like Alice. Stay tuned for more updates!"
Child and Cooper previously collaborated on 1989's "Trash" album, including the smash hit "Poison", and the follow-up effort, 1991's "Hey Stoopid". The success of "Poison" helped make "Trash" Alice's biggest seller in more than a decade.

In a recent interview with Rock For Relief, Cooper said: "'Poison', probably next to 'School's Out', is the biggest song in [our live] set. That song might have been a bigger international hit than 'School's Out' even.

"When I first heard some of the songs [Desmond] was doing with BON JOVI and AEROSMITH and Joan Jett and everybody, I said, 'I like that, but I need it darker and sexier.' And that's when 'Poison' came out."

This past May, Alice released a new single, "Don't Give Up". Produced by Cooper's longtime collaborator Bob Ezrin using remote technology, the song is a spontaneous reaction to the challenges facing us all right now.

A strictly limited "Don't Give Up" seven-inch vinyl picture disc will be released on August 14 on earMUSIC.

Cooper recently completed work on his new album, "Detroit Stories". The LP, which was once again produced by Ezrin, features contributions by such Michigan talent as the MC5's Wayne Kramer, GRAND FUNK RAILROAD's Mark Farner and Johnny "Bee" Badanjek of MITCH RYDER & THE DETROIT WHEELS. They also used the Detroit Horns and Detroit background singers.

Last September, Cooper released a six-track EP called "Breadcrumbs", described as a tribute to the garage-rock heroes of his hometown of Detroit."

Susan Foreman 27th July 2020 12:54 PM

Pat Boone covers Alice in 1997

Susan Foreman 30th July 2020 06:01 AM

New interview at Cleveland .com

"Alice Cooper talks new album, quarantine hobbies and family time in Phoenix

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Rest assured that Alice Cooper is not spending his quarantine time near Phoenix cutting fruits and vegetables with his guillotine, experimenting with his make-up, feeding his Frankenstein or chopping up baby dolls just for recreation.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s shock-rock pioneer is actually, as the song says, working up a sweat -- or at least working hard. He released a new song, “Don’t Give Up,” in May, with an accompanying video featuring crowd-sourced footage submitted by more than 15,000 fans. Cooper is also finishing work on his next album, tentatively titled “Detroit Stories,” with producer Bob Ezrin and a variety of Motor City music mates as guests.

He's made appearances in a few virtual fundraising events, and he's also up to a few things that may surprise you -- including a new brand of chocolate milk being sold to raise money for his Solid Rock youth non-profit.

Fortunately, Cooper found time to squeeze us in for a few minutes to talk about what he's been up to now that school's, er, out...

You would normally be on tour now -- and were supposed to be. Are you going stir crazy?

Cooper: Y'know what? I kind of really like this. I spend so much time on the road and in the studio, I like having to take four or five months off, as much as I was looking forward to (the tours). It's kind of nice to be home and see everybody every day. Our big deal is, "What are we eating tonight?"' My daughter (Sonora) is going to have a baby in July, so I get to be there for that. We'll be ready to play again when it's time, and I think a lot of people are going to want to go to a concert again. But I really appreciate what we've got going on here now, too."

What do you think it's going to be like when things resume?

Cooper: I think there'll be about 30 percent of people afraid to go to concerts, and the other 70 percent can't wait to go to concerts. But a lot of people will be afraid. Nobody's ever going to want to go to a concert again, with all the people there. It's a very weird time.

What do you miss most about not being on the road?

Cooper: Our tour was at its peak. It was just, like, sharp as a knife every night, and now you've got to get that back. You've got to go out and do a bunch of rehearsals and get that edge back, 'cause it was right at that point where every night was like, "Holy crap! That was really good tonight." You really know when the show was on it. Now we're gonna have to get all those little, tiny things back that make it really good."

So, what's life like in Cooper quarantine?

Cooper: Camp Cooper here is pretty cool. (laughs) My daughters are both here. We've got three studios going and stuff to do. So, every night, instead of playing Monopoly we're recording, which is very cool. (Sons-in-law) Jed and Diego are both engineers. Jed and Calico do voiceovers for cartoons and for commercials and all that. So, we're just going all the time, staying creative. And, oh, I started taking tap dance lessons.

Really?

Cooper: Oh yeah. (laughs) I said, "I just want to do something I haven't done. Let's do this!" Everybody in the house, on Wednesday night. We have a friend here who teaches tap dance and he's great. We have tap shoes. We do the whole thing outside. It's not that Geico commercial, "the clogging problem," it's for real. Calico and (wife) Sheryl and Sonora are all professional dancers, so they're flying. They're Ginger Rodgers out there, and all the guys are kind of walking through it, trying to get some semblance of it. It's pretty cool, though. We have a neighbor who lives right above us, and Wednesday night all they hear is (tapping) for an hour.

Any more surprises?

Cooper: I actually bought a lot of painting equipment and I’m going to start painting a little bit, ‘cause I was an art major at school. It’s something I used to do before I was in a band. I figured, “Eh, I’ll go back and do some painting.” If Bernie Taupin is doing it and Ronnie Wood is doing it and all these other guys are doing it, why not me?

No just sitting on the couch and goofing off, then, eh?

Cooper: There's a movie night every night here, too. Sonora is walking around the house with this great big stomach, and I go, "Have you ever seen 'What WE Do in the Dark?' or 'In the Shadows?'" She goes "no," so I go, "Oh, we're gonna watch this tonight, then." Jed had never seen any of the Pink Panther movies, so I said, "Oh, well, we're gonna have a festival there," and we have six, seven people in the living room watching these great, old movies.

The "Don't Give Up" video response was massive.

Cooper: I know. I thought we might get 1,500 people, something like that. But, y'know, these people are at home. They're not running around. I think people are searching for things to do. They're not running around doing stuff. I think they were like, "Yeah, I want to be in anything right now...," so we wound up benefiting from that.

You were already working on the song for "Detroit Stories," right?

Cooper: That was one of 'em, yeah. We always over-write for every album, and here was a song that was just sitting there, and we just went, "Y'know, if we just direct that song to Covid-19, it might be something." And I said, "Let's make it a positive, encouraging song rather than tap into the horror of it," which Alice normally would do. I wanted to make it something where it's like, "Hey, don't be so afraid. We'll get through it. Let's treat it as an enemy and attack it as an enemy, and let's be smart enough to know how to fight this thing." It has that everybody pull-together, kind of rah-rah thing to it. It didn't lose its edge. If it had turned out sappy we wouldn't have put it out. But I think that when you have a character like Alice, let him stretch a little bit, y'know?"

What's the latest on the album?

Cooper: It’s 99 percent done and just being polished. I’m really happy with this album. Right now (Ezrin) is just sitting at home listening to everything, going, “Hmm, I wonder if we should re-do that bass?” or “Let’s try that third verse again” or “Can we sing those three lines over again?” (laughs) I want him at some point to put a lock and key on and it say “It’s done!,' but I trust him to tell us when it is."

Susan Foreman 27th August 2020 09:01 AM

Record store day 2020

Release Date: 24 Oct 2020

Format: 2 x LP

Label: Rhino/Warner Records

Quantity: 7000

"Classic performance from Alice Cooper recorded live at The Apollo theatre Glasgow, Scotland, Feb 19, 1982 on his Special Forces Tour. This recording is largely unreleased: only three tracks-- "Who Do You Think We Are", "Under My Wheels" and "Model Citizen" were previously released as 12" B-sides in 1982, and have not been available since."

1. Who Do You Think We Are
2. Model Citizen
3. Go to Hell
4. Guilty
5. I'm Eighteen
6. Cold Ethyl
7. Only Women Bleed
8. No More Mr. Nice Guy
9. Clones (We're All)
10. Under My Wheels
11. I Never Cry
12. 7 and 7 Is
13. Grim Facts
14. Pain
15. Billion Dollar Babies
16. Generation Landslide
17. Who Do You Think We Are
18. Schools Out

Susan Foreman 28th August 2020 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here's a turn up for the books!

At time of writing, the vinyl version of the 'Don't Give Up' single is straight in at no. 1 in the UK singles chart!

SymbioticFunction 28th August 2020 01:07 PM

Don't Give Up kinda sounds a bit like Pick Up The Bones (to me anyway). Still that's much better than sounding like a Fat Les song (We Gotta Rise). :)

Susan Foreman 28th August 2020 07:07 PM

I know we don't do politics here, but it seems there is something going on in America at the moment!

Alice Cooper For President 2020 Shop

Susan Foreman 29th August 2020 11:48 AM

Dave Mustaine in the electric chair!

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2020 12:19 PM

Was that for Megadeth's No More Mr. Nice Guy video, Susan?

I can't remember the video but putting two and two together, the song was for the movie Shocker about a murderer put to death and then revived by electric chair.

Justin101 29th August 2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634109)

I can't remember the video but putting two and two together, the song was for the movie Shocker about a murderer put to death and then revived by electric chair.

I just re-watched the video for research purposes, he does get electrocuted at the end of the vid but it's not that scene. That pic looks like some kind of live promo event maybe??

I must say, I used to really like the Megadeth version when I was 15 or 16 or whenever it was, but it's not very good really, Coop's version is much better!

Susan Foreman 29th August 2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634109)

It's connected with Megadeth recording the song for the film, yes

It's actually from the launch of the soundtrack album which was held at the China Club in Hollywood

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd September 2020 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The recent doc about Laurel Canyon is out on dvd and bd on 21st September.

i was going to watch it but decided against it when i saw it was getting a disc release. 159 minutes.

Susan Foreman 12th September 2020 06:29 PM

An animated Alice, as 'Alistair Coop De Ville', pictured with Goofy and Donald in an episode of 'Mickey And The Roadster Racers'

Susan Foreman 13th September 2020 04:42 PM

September 11 - 14, 1975 - 45 years ago!

Justin101 13th September 2020 05:26 PM

I would have loved to see Welcome to my Nightmare in my hometown! Shame I wouldn't be born for another 2 years :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th September 2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 635260)
I would have loved to see Welcome to my Nightmare in my hometown! Shame I wouldn't be born for another 2 years :lol:

Hang on, you cheeky muppet.

You keep calling me ancient yet you are only six years younger yourself.

I thought you were in your early thirties not getting on for 45. You are no spring chicken..:axekiller:

Justin101 13th September 2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 635261)
Hang on, you cheeky muppet.

You keep calling me ancient yet you are only six years younger yourself.

I thought you were in your early thirties not getting on for 45. You are no spring chicken..:axekiller:

I'm young at heart, you don't even own a bluray player :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th September 2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 635262)
I'm young at heart, you don't even own a bluray player :lol:

I really have no answer to that comment other than it's a little puzzling that your criteria for being young is owning a bluray player.

Justin101 13th September 2020 05:57 PM

Old people are known to be late adopters to new (!) technology :D

:behindsofa:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th September 2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 635266)
Old people are known to be late adopters to new (!) technology :D

:behindsofa:

:censored:

Post removed by moderator. :mod:

Susan Foreman 13th September 2020 06:34 PM

Back on topic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 635260)
I would have loved to see Welcome to my Nightmare in my hometown!

I would have loved to see Alice for £2:50!

Susan Foreman 15th September 2020 03:24 PM

Alice at the 'Forbidden Planet 42' event on August 28th

Susan Foreman 22nd September 2020 12:17 PM

September 22nd, 1986 - 34 years ago today, the 'Constrictor' album is released

Susan Foreman 23rd September 2020 07:04 PM

September 23rd, 2003 - 17 years ago today, 'The Eyes Of Alice Cooper' album is released

SymbioticFunction 24th September 2020 12:50 AM

I like Constrictor but I love The Eyes of Alice Cooper (especially Novocaine).

Susan Foreman 24th September 2020 04:42 PM

While other acts are promoting their own brands of alcohol, because of Alice's history he couldn't really do that, so he is in the process of creating his own brands of...hot sauce!

Shock Your Senses With Alice’s New Hot Sauce Line!

Alice is gearing up to bring you a different type of release this fall… something a little spicy. The Godfather of Shock Rock announced today his new line of Hot Sauce – available in three shocking flavors based on his hit songs: “Welcome To My Nightmare,” “No More Mr. Nice Guy,” and “Poison.” All three hot sauces can be found at select stores and online globally at UnitedSauces .com.

Alice Cooper
“In general I don’t believe food should be painful. But in the case of my hot sauces it is PAIN, PLEASURE, PAIN, PLEASURE! Just repeat until satisfied!”
Alice Cooper Welcome To My Nightmare Mild Hot Sauce - $8:00

"I think you're gonna like it. The great taste of the medium heat of Serrano chillies with an early flavor of lime. But don't let it scare you, this robust flavor of garlic and a hint of cumin will have you feeling right at home with this Southwestern sauce."

Alice Cooper No More Mr. Nice Guy Medium Hot Sauce - $10:00

"I used to be such a sweet, sweet thing... till I got a hold of this sauce. Aged Red Habanero Peppers create a balance of heat and flavor so good it's obscene! Make no mistake, with a few drops of this, you'll be swinging back at the good Reverend."

Alice Cooper Poison Reaper Hot Sauce - $12:00

"My pain, your thrill... your mouth, so hot. The intense heat of this sauce will put you in Alice's straight jacket. Your senses will tell you to stop when you feel the Reaper chillies running through your veins with poison!"

Dave Boy 26th September 2020 08:48 AM

I watched a concert on youtube recently with Orianthi on guitar. Wacken 2013. Bloody awesome!

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...L06b_Titq3xK8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE8e9Znj1_8

Susan Foreman 26th September 2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 636178)
I watched a concert on youtube recently with Orianthi on guitar. Wacken 2013. Bloody awesome!

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...L06b_Titq3xK8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE8e9Znj1_8

That's from the 'Raise The Dead' tour

It was released as a 3 disc combo pack which included a double music CD of the concert. Unfortunately the video part of the release was edited, with the covers of 'Revolution' and 'Foxy Lady' removed although they are featured on the audio CD!

Dave Boy 26th September 2020 11:46 AM

Yeah, I just checked that release out.
What's the reason for the video edit? Just to fit on the disc?

Susan Foreman 26th September 2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 636182)
Yeah, I just checked that release out.
What's the reason for the video edit? Just to fit on the disc?

I think it was more to do with music copywrite rather than anything else although it's strange that they were included on the CD but not the DVD / Blu-Rays

Susan Foreman 2nd October 2020 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Download Your Free Alice Cooper Pumpkin Carving Stencil Kit / Alice Cooper .com

Susan Foreman 8th October 2020 05:11 AM

Eddie Van Halen with Calico and Alice

Susan Foreman 21st October 2020 12:45 PM

There's an American election looming...and a new video for 'Elected'

Great song, awful vid!

Susan Foreman 22nd October 2020 06:54 PM

Alice with The Amazing Randi (1928-2020)

Susan Foreman 24th October 2020 07:33 PM

Alice with Gene Wilder in 1995

Susan Foreman 25th October 2020 11:54 AM

The 20 greatest horror movie themed metal anthems / Louder Sound

Alice is no.1

"1. Alice Cooper - He’s Back (The Man Behind The Mask)

We talk to the Godfather Of Shock Rock about the Friday The 13th anthem that revitalised his career

The year is 1986. Nine years after a spell in a sanitarium to recover from alcoholism, Alice Cooper is preparing his 16th album, Constrictor, with a sharp new perspective on his career.

As the mainstream media veered away from Alice’s signature heavy sound, favouring schmaltzy power ballads, the godfather of shock rock needed a blunt-force trauma to bring his villainous alter-ego back to his former glory. Cue a chance meeting with metal guitarist, Kane Roberts.

“I panicked with Constrictor because they wouldn’t play hard rock on the radio,” Alice admits today. “I had four power ballads in a row that were hits and my audience started to think I was mellowing out, but the rest of the album was heavy and they just wouldn’t play it.

"So I got with this metal monster Kane and put a band together that was relentlessly heavy for two albums based entirely on splatter movies. I wanted my album cover to say ‘featuring no ballads’!”

As the album was coming together, the team behind 80s horror mega-franchise Friday The 13th approached Alice to pen a theme song for Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives. They tasked the right man to embody the hockey mask-clad baddie for the song that would become He’s Back (The Man Behind The Mask).

“I started thinking, ‘Who is the man behind that hockey mask? What is driving this thing to kill people? What’s his motivation?’ Kane and I were writing monstrous songs about survival at the time, then we ended up working with Tom Kelly who wrote a lot of Madonna’s hits.

"We came into the studio with a heavy version of He’s Back, and Kelly changed the whole bassline but it danced this time. It still had the creepy factor because my lyrics were still there, but it moved really well. It had an almost-Michael Jackson beat.”

In the process of making Jason Voorhees into a proper household name, the man born Vincent Furnier recognised the masked murderer as a contemporary of his own Alice Cooper character – a dangerous and inscrutable individual.

“The scariest part about Jason, and Halloween’s Michael Myers, too, is that they show zero emotion. Killing for them is just like swatting a fly – it’s business as usual and you don’t see them getting mad,” Alice observes.

“Freddy Krueger’s face gets all contorted when he does something, but Jason can put a butcher’s knife through a guy’s chest and stick him to the wall, then cock his head and look at his work.”

Alice’s iconic ode to the Crystal Lake maniac reached a whole new level of meta when combined with the seemingly limitless Alice Cooper miscreant of his own design.

“If you think about it, the Man Behind The Mask is Alice Cooper, who wears a mask. I put the makeup on and I hide behind the mask. I become the villain and I have total control over everything, and that sets the character free…but as soon as the show’s over and I take the makeup off, I’m back to being a very nice guy!”

Ironically, Jason’s new theme song topped the charts in Finland and Sweden, despite the two countries’ bans of the Friday The 13th franchise movies for excessive violence. Alice credits his and his writing partner’s ability to spectate horror from the inside looking out.

“Kane and I see that rock music, horror and comedy are in bed together,” Alice admits. “You can’t have horror just for horror’s sake, it has to get so ridiculously over the top that you start to laugh. That scene in The Evil Dead when a shotgun accidentally hits a pipe and the pipe bursts and every inch of this guy is covered in blood – I burst out laughing, like, ‘You can’t put any more blood in this movie!’”

Horror movies became hot property in the 1980s, as the Friday The 13th and Halloween sagas competed at the box office with A Nightmare On Elm Street. The key to a successful splatter franchise is not the array of victims their antagonist chooses, but the supernatural and often comedic elements of their survival against any and all methods of death and destruction.

“In the first Halloween movie, Jamie Lee Curtis puts a knitting needle through Michael Myers’ ear and he goes down. The next shot you see him sit up behind her and you realise right there that he can’t be killed. You see the world opening up and now there’s gonna be 25 of these movies because you can’t kill him. I’d love to be at the writers’ sessions and they’re discussing how he died in the last movie: ‘They’ve blown him up and he’s in a puddle of mud – it just so happens that mud is what brings him back to life!’”

A horror junkie, Alice may have seen it al both onscreen and onstage, but he admits that sometimes the scariest horror movie concepts are those that feel a little closer to home.

“I rarely see a horror movie that makes me flinch. If you asked 100 people for the scariest movie ever made, they’d say The Exorcist. You can laugh off Freddy Krueger and Michael Myers, they’re the boogeymen that live under your bed, but when you’re talking about demon possession of a little girl that’s documented and has actually happened, it speaks to your soul.”

Alice also played Freddy Krueger’s drunk adoptive father in 1991’s Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare, luring him into another classic horror universe. Although he welcomed the opportunity to play a character that didn’t involve guillotines and gallows on a stage in front of metal fans baying for fake blood, he’s more at home with his own psychotic shock rock persona.

“I always show the audience that I’m playing this relentlessly arrogant bastard that never says ‘thank you’ or talks to the audience, because if he did he would be human,” he notes. “I never want them to see Alice onstage as human. I want him to be truly phantom-like!”"