Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree1346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2016, 06:33 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
According to reviews, Nita Strauss is supposed to be a bit of a 'wow' when it comes to performing live. Let's hope she stays to actually record something with Alice.
'The World Needs Guts' has recently been added to the set, complete with Nita doing some serious shredding!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th October 2016, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm still holding out for some UK dates from Alice! The current band sounds really good on the videos I've watched on youtube.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th October 2016, 06:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'The World Needs Guts' has recently been added to the set, complete with Nita doing some serious shredding!

I really like that performance. Alice and the whole band seem hungry and vital. The World Needs Guts is a really strong rocker and fits the live arena.

It's nice to see Alice adding oddities to his set occasionally. Teenage Frankenstein, Freedom and Prince of Darkness would also be nice to hear again from that era.

Alice is the opposite of Maiden. Maiden play too much new stuff and Alice plays too many songs we've heard a million times before. However throwing in a few hard rockers always livens things up.
Old 19th October 2016, 04:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Original Alice Cooper Band To Release 'Live From The Astroturf' Seven Inch Single - Blabbermouth.net
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 19th October 2016, 05:28 PM
Cult Master

That version of '18' sounds really good. I was expecting something sloppy, but I was surprised

Shame I don't have a record player so I can't get it!

Old 21st October 2016, 06:13 AM
Cult Master

Although the 'Raise The Dead Tour'' had finished, fans were not happy when they discovered that the next (and current) tour, 'Spend The Night With Alice Cooper', once again contained cover songs

The tour started in Biloxi, Mississippi on April 29th, 2016 and dates have been announced until October 30th, 2016, in Los Angeles

The current touring band consists of:

Alice Cooper - Vocals
Ryan Roxie – guitar, backing vocals
Tommy Henriksen – guitar, backing vocals
Nita Strauss – guitar, backing vocals
Chuck Garric – bass, backing vocals
Glen Sobel – drums, percussion

The setlist for the first show on the tour was :
  • Black Widow
  • Public Animal #9
  • No More Mr Nice Guy
  • Under My Wheels
  • Is It My Body
  • Billion Dollar Babies
  • Long Way To Go
  • Poison
  • Halo of Flies
  • Feed My Frankenstein
  • Cold Ethyl
  • Only Women Bleed
  • Guilty
  • Ballad Of Dwight Fry
  • Killer - I Love The Dead
  • 'Raise The Dead' - Pinball Wizard (The Who cover)
  • 'Raise The Dead' - Love Me 2 Times (The Doors cover)
  • 'Raise The Dead' - Fire (Jimi Hendrix cover)
  • 'Raise The Dead' - Suffragette City (David Bowie cover)
  • I'm Eighteen
  • Schools Out (inc. Another Brick In The Wall)
  • Elected

As stated, the tour began in America on April 29th and ran until May 21st, with a show in Canada

There was then a break in the schedules, while Alice played some shows with off-shoot band The Hollywood Vampires starting with a warm-up show in New York on May 24th before heading to Europe for a number of festival dates between May 27th - June 6th.

The line-up for these shows was:

Alice Cooper – lead vocals, harmonica
Johnny Depp – rhythm and lead guitar, backing vocals
Joe Perry – lead and rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Tommy Henriksen – rhythm and lead guitar, backing vocals
Duff McKagan – bass, backing vocals
Bruce Witkin – keyboards, rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Matt Sorum – drums, backing vocals

and the setlist was:
  • Raise the Dead (original song)
  • I Got a Line on You (Spirit)
  • 20th Century Boy (T. Rex)
  • Pinball Wizard (The Who)
  • My Generation (The Who)
  • Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix)
  • Cold Turkey (John Lennon)
  • Come Together (The Beatles)
  • 7 and 7 Is (Love)
  • Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin)
  • Five to One/Break on Through (The Doors)
  • Rebel Rebel/Suffragette City (David Bowie)
  • As Bad As I Am (original song)
  • Stop Messin' Around (Fleetwood Mac)
  • Dead Drunk Friends (original song)
  • Ace of Spades (Motörhead)
  • I'm Eighteen (Alice Cooper Group)
  • Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith)
  • Train Kept a Rollin' (Yardbirds/Aerosmith)
  • School's Out (Alice Cooper)

Alice remained in Europe for a series of solo dates between June 9th - June 24th, including a single English date on June 18th, where he headlined the opening night of the Stone Free Festival at the London 02 Arena

The Hollywood Vampires tour resumed in America between July 1st - July 25th. Tragedy hit the band at a show on July 10th, in Brooklyn, when Joe Perry collapsed on stage and was rushed to hospital with a suspected heart attack. He returned to the stage on July 22nd in California.

The 'Spend The Night With Alice Cooper' tour then continued in North America on August 6th with shows in the country and Canada scheduled to continue until October 30th.

The latest setlist available is for a show that was held on October 18th, in British Columbia in Canada:
  • The Black Widow
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy
  • Under My Wheels
  • Public Animal #9
  • Billion Dollar Babies
  • Long Way To Go
  • The World Needs Guts
  • Woman Of Mass Distraction
  • Poison
  • Halo Of Flies
  • Feed My Frankenstein
  • Cold Ethyl
  • Only Women Bleed
  • Guilty
  • Ballad Of Dwight Frye
  • I Love The Dead
  • 'Raise The Dead' - Pinball Wizard (The Who cover)
  • 'Raise The Dead' - Suffragette City (David Bowie cover)
  • 'Raise The Dead' - Ace Of Spades (Motorhead cover)
  • I'm Eighteen
  • Schools Out/Another Brick In The Wall
  • Elected

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
Tour stats for The Alice Cooper Group/Alice Cooper

Top ten countries played:

1 - United States
2 - Canada
3 - Germany
4 - United Kingdom
5 - Australia
6 - Sweden
7 - France
8 - Switzerland
9 - Russia
10 - Denmark

Top ten songs played:

1 - School's Out
2 - I'm Eighteen
3 - Under My Wheels
4 - Billion Dollar Babies
5 - No More Mr. Nice Guy
6 - Only Women Bleed
7 - Poison
8 - Ballad of Dwight Fry
9 - I Love the Dead
10 - Feed My Frankenstein

Top ten albums to have songs featured in the live set:

1 - Welcome to My Nightmare
2 - Billion Dollar Babies
3 - Killer
4 - Love It to Death
5 - School's Out
6 - Trash
7 - Goes to Hell
8 - 'Covers'
9 - Hey Stoopid
10 - Brutal Planet
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 21st October 2016, 11:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nice work, Susan.

Are you doing a rundown of Hollywood Vampires - the album?

With someone who has had such a distinguished career as Alice i too feel he shouldn't be playing cover versions or not as many as he does.

He has so many great songs of his own that would fill those slots. If he wants to do a cover how about Twisted Sister's Be Chrool To Your Scuel?
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 21st October 2016, 12:39 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Nice work, Susan.
Thank you for your kind words

Quote:
Are you doing a rundown of Hollywood Vampires - the album?

With someone who has had such a distinguished career as Alice i too feel he shouldn't be playing cover versions or not as many as he does.

He has so many great songs of his own that would fill those slots. If he wants to do a cover how about Twisted Sister's Be Chrool To Your Scuel?
I think there will be at least one more entry to this time line, and possibly a couple - an appendix is you like!

As much as I would like to, I don't think I can avoid the Vampires, so I will have to give them an entry, although I will probably only 'review' the original songs on the album and just give a passing mention to the covers. Then there are the numerous compilation albums released by various record companies over the years - some official and authorised, some cheap rip-offs. Then there are the feature films that Alice has been in, and any television appearances of note (for example, Alice appeared on 'Top Of The Pops' 20 times between July '72 and May '94!). People of note that Alice has worked with, or spoken about at length. There is an awful lot of trivia that wouldn't fit in with any of the information already posted that is interesting

Finally, I need to do my 'personal lists'. Now I have been thru EVERYTHING, I need to sit down and work out my favourite (say) 50 songs from 'Pretties For You' to 'Welcome 2 My Nightmare' and post them!

Old 21st October 2016, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Thank you for your kind words

Finally, I need to do my 'personal lists'. Now I have been thru EVERYTHING, I need to sit down and work out my favourite (say) 50 songs from 'Pretties For You' to 'Welcome 2 My Nightmare' and post them!
You're welcome. It's a good thread and highly informative.

Your personal choices would be interesting and something that could spark debate especially if you allow others to produce a top whatever list as well. For example i'm sure mine might be quite different to yours.

It's a shame you don't rate Kiss as much as Alice. A similar thread on Kiss would be fascinating reading.
Old 21st October 2016, 06:31 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
It's a shame you don't rate Kiss as much as Alice. A similar thread on Kiss would be fascinating reading.
I used to be a huge KISS fan when they were a bubblegum rock group. You could keep Van Halen - KISS were the ultimate good time party band. The first six albums ('KISS' - 'Love Gun') are entertaining and fun, and I love 'Music From The Elder', which is probably my favourite KISS album

Then they did the unthinkable and when they took off the make-up, they became just another 80's heavy metal band, similar to my comments about Alice circa 'Constrictor'. The one thing that set them apart from every other band was now gone, and they were generic. 'Lick It Up' has some good songs on it, but I am struggling to think of anything from 'Asylum'. It was about this time I stopped listening to them

Of course there are a lot of similarities between them and Alice, but where one is a theatrical the other uses a lot of theatrics - I can't see Alice using explosions or pyrotechnics in a show, and I cannot imagine KISS using a prop in a song to tell a story

I also think that the relationship between the artist and the public is all important. During my research into this thread, I have read a lot of articles and watched a lot of interviews regarding Alice, and it seems that literally no-one (other than politicians and 'the establishment') have got a bad word to say about him. He seems to be genuinely loved by everyone, and he returns this love. He is a GOOD GUY. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who really do not like Paul Stanley and (especially) Gene Simmons and it seems they both treat their fans with contempt - why else would they be trying to pass off Tommy Thayer as the Space Ace and Eric Singer as The Cat? Why not give them their own make-up designs like they did with Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent?

Then, look at the relationship between the artist and his peers. Can you imagine KISS going out as a support act for another band (such as Motley Crue) for as long as Alice did?

I like KISS, but my love affair ended with them in the mid 80's when it felt like they turned their backs on me! There certainly IS a place for a KISS thread on the forum, but I don't think I am the person to start and upkeep it
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!