Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2016, 07:45 AM
Cult Master

APPENDICE #1: The Hollywood Vampires

The original 'Hollywood Vampires' was a "celebrity drinking club" formed by Alice in Mid September 1973, while the band were making the 'Good To See You Again' film and recording songs for the 'Muscle Of Love' album. The way to get into the 'club' was to drink all the other members under the table, which was never going to be an easy thing to do!

The principal members of the group were: Alice Cooper, Keith Moon (The Who), Ringo Starr (The Beatles), Micky Dolenz (The Monkees) and Harry Nilsson. On the 'Prime Cuts' DVD, Alice says: "...The Speakeasy and Tramps were the place to be in London. There was a little loft at the Rainbow Bar and Grill in LA (W. Hollywood), they only had that for the club: every night those same people. Every once in a while John Lennon would come into town or Keith Emerson and they would be honorable members of the night. They still have a plaque there at the Rainbow, where it says 'The Lair of the Hollywood Vampires.'"

Honorable members of the group included: Keith Allison (Paul Revere And The Raiders), John Belushi, Marc Bolan, Mal Evans (road manager with The Beatles), Bernie Taupin, Joe Walsh (The Eagles) and Klaus Voormann (Manfred Mann, The Plastic Ono Band)

Jump forward 40 years!

The 'Hollywood Vampires' project began around 2011 when Alice and Johnny Depp worked together on the 'Dark Shadows' movie. This friendship resulted in Johnny joining Alice on stage at the 100 Club in London in June 2011, where a number of cover songs were performed. [For more information about this show, see post #398 on page 40]. This concept blossomed into the idea of recording a full blown covers album. As this idea came together, it morphed from being an Alice Cooper solo covers record (with guest star Johnny Depp) into a full blown project in it's own right with the addition of Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry. Alice's history with Perry goes back decades and includes a previous attempt to work together prior to the 'Constrictor' album, which ended when Alice went to film 'Monster Dog' and Perry rejoined Aerosmith

The album was recorded between 2012 - 2014 and I find it a strange album. Some of the songs work, while others are very poor. I also find it weird that some people who were in the drinking club do not have any tribute played to them (Mickey Dolenz, Joe Walsh), while others have been included presumably for the simple reason they were heavy drinkers

Anyway, the album includes the following tracks for which I am only going to pass comment on the original songs, although I have linked the songs to YouTube. Just click on the title and make up your own mind:

1: 'The Last Vampire', which is a spoken introduction by Sir Christopher Lee, reading a passage from the book 'Dracula'. This was the last thing he did before his untimely death. Bob Ezrin plays the keyboards

2: 'Raise The Dead', an original song. Additional musicians were Tommy Henriksen and Bruce Witkin on guitar, Witkin on bass and Glen Sobel on drums. It's a good opening, and very reminiscent of classic Alice

3: 'My Generation', originally recorded by The Who and previously played live by Alice, most notably on the 'Brutal Planet' tour. Guest musician was Zac Starkey on drums

4: 'Whole Lotta Love', originally recorded by Led Zeppelin. Presumably this is dedicated to John Bonham, but as far as I'm aware, he was never a member of the group. Guest musicians are Brian Johnson (AC/DC) on vocals, Orianthi and Joe Walsh on guitar, Kip Winger on bass and Zac Starkey on drums

5: 'I Got A Line On You', originally recorded by Spirit. No idea why this has been included. Guest musicians are Perry Farrell (Jane's Addiction) on vocals, Joe Walsh on guitar, Kip Winger on bass and Abe Laboriel Jr (Paul McCartney's band) on drums

6: 'Five To One'/'Break On Through', originally recorded by The Doors. Jim Morrison was a good friend of Alice, and has already been referred to in some Alice songs. It's thought that 'Desperado' from the 'Killer' album is about him, and he is name checked in 'From The Inside': "Proposed a toast to Jimi's ghost'. Guest musicians are Charlie Judge on keyboards, Robbie Krieger (The Doors) on guitar and Abe Laboriel Jr on drums

7: 'One'/'Jump In The Fire', originally recorded by Harry Nilssen. These are not Metallica songs, as some people think! Guest musicians are Perry Farrell on vocals, Bob Ezrin on Keyboards, Robbie Krieger on guitar, Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) on drums

8: 'Come And Get It', originally recorded by Badfinger. Again, I am not sure why this was included. Yes, it was written by Paul McCartney, but again I'm not aware of him being a member of the 'club'. It was never recorded by The Beatles as a band, so it cannot be for either Ringo or John Lennon. Guest musicians are Paul McCartney on bass, piano and vocals, Abe Laboriel Jr on drums

9: 'Jeepster', originally recorded by T.Rex. No guest musicians on this one

10: 'Cold Turkey', originally recorded by John Lennon. Again, no guest musicians

11: 'Manic Depression', originally recorded by Jimi Hendrix. He was dead before the 'club' formed, so presumably this is a tribute to someone who died through drug abuse. Guest musicians are Bob Ezrin on keyboards, Joe Walsh on guitar, Zac Starkey on drums

12: 'Itchycoo Park', originally recorded by The Small Faces, and presumably included as a tribute to Steve Marriott. No guest musicians on this one

13: 'School's Out'/'Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2', originally recorded by The Alice Cooper Group and Pink Floyd. Presumably a tribute to Glen Buxton and Syd Barrett, although he had left Floyd a long time before this song was recorded. Guest musicians are Slash on guitar, Dennis Dunaway on bass and Neal Smith on drums

14: 'My Dead Drunk Friends', an original song. Again, this is a good, sleazy Alice song, which makes me wish he had recorded a full album of material like this, instead of the cover songs. Guest musicians are Bob Ezrin on keyboards

In February 2016, a 'delux' version of the album was released, with three additional songs:

15: 'I'm A Boy', originally recorded by The Who

16: 'Seven And Seven Is', originally recorded by Arthur Lee & Love, and previously covered by Alice on the 'Special Forces' album

17: 'As Bad As I Am', which is an original song. A good fast rocker to end the album on

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th October 2016, 09:52 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nicely rounded up.

Great work, Susan.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 26th October 2016, 10:04 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The original 'Hollywood Vampires' was a "celebrity drinking club" formed by Alice in Mid September 1973, while the band were making the 'Good To See You Again' film and recording songs for the 'Muscle Of Love' album. The way to get into the 'club' was to drink all the other members under the table, which was never going to be an easy thing to do!

The principal members of the group were: Alice Cooper, Keith Moon (The Who), Ringo Starr (The Beatles), Micky Dolenz (The Monkees) and Harry Nilsson. On the 'Prime Cuts' DVD, Alice says: "...The Speakeasy and Tramps were the place to be in London. There was a little loft at the Rainbow Bar and Grill in LA (W. Hollywood), they only had that for the club: every night those same people. Every once in a while John Lennon would come into town or Keith Emerson and they would be honorable members of the night. They still have a plaque there at the Rainbow, where it says 'The Lair of the Hollywood Vampires.'"
I've always enjoyed this section on the Prime Cuts video/dvd although it is also the beginning of a very dark section of Alice's life which is quite difficult to watch, particularly the 'From the Inside' part.
Susan Foreman likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th October 2016, 05:37 AM
Cult Master

Beasto Blanco, a new band featuring Calico Cooper and Chuck Garric, who has played bass with Alice since 2003

This is their single, from their self titled debut album

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 27th October 2016, 10:08 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Beasto Blanco, a new band featuring Calico Cooper and Chuck Garric, who has played bass with Alice since 2003

This is their single, from their self titled debut album

I actually find this a lot better than the original song. It's a lot more interesting musically.

I'd like to hear an original song of theirs though.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:14 AM
Cult Master

Alice Cooper Drummer To Play Mob Boss In New Movie | Contactmusic.com

The drummer in question is Neal Smith, who was with the original ACG, and the film is entitled "Desolation Angels: Rise Of The BOAS"

Presumably this is the theme/main song from the movie, complete with clips

Doesn't really move me, I'm afraid

Old 30th October 2016, 06:06 PM
Cult Master

Alice Cooper's Top 10 Halloween Songs to Die For

It also looks like his current band have recorded an album away from their leader - Alice Cooper band recorded ’solo’ album in hotel rooms

The last concert in the 2016 leg of the 'Spend The Night With Alice Cooper' tour happens tonight (October 30th) in Los Angeles. Then the Vampires play a single show on December 3rd in Phoenix, Arizona and that's it for the year

At time of writing, there is a single date that has been announced for 2017 - May 5th in Oklahoma - but presumably more will be announced at a later date (including some in the UK with a new show!)

Old 5th November 2016, 06:57 PM
Cult Master

November 5th, 1971

The Alice Cooper Group make their live English debut, recording two songs for 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'

The songs performed were:

and

and the show was broadcast four days later, on November 9th, 1971
Justin101 likes this.

Old 8th November 2016, 04:34 PM
Cult Master

Alice Cooper, Keith Moon, Harry Nilsson and Marc Bolan in the studio, November 1972

Sadly nothing seems to have come from this session
Justin101 likes this.

Old 10th November 2016, 06:35 AM
Cult Master

APPENDICE #2: Film and television

Part 1: Alice Cooper Group and Alice Cooper Filmography

Alice has made a number of appearances on film. Some of these have already been mentioned in this thread, but there are others. My criteria for this section is that it has to have a run time of at least 60 minutes, and it has to have been released to the cinema and/or it has to have been available on video and/or DVD at some point. Whenever possible, I have linked the appearance to YouTube

'Diary Of A Mad Housewife' (1970) features the Alice Cooper Group's first appearance on the big screen during a party scene. They playing a cover of a Steppenwolf song entitled 'Ride With Me'. The scene descends into chaos when the band tear open a pillow and covers the crowd with feathers while letting of fire extinguishers. This was a stunt that was taken from their stage shows

'Medicine Ball Caravan (1971) is a documentary/concert film. The band perform 'Black Juju'. Although the version in the film is represented as a live recording, it's not. There is a voice at the beginning "announcing" the performance mixed with the music, sound and audience, and the end is also edited. It's the album version! When the film was originally released in the UK in the early '70s, the bands name was very prominent in the advertisements. This led to many disappointed fans going to see the film expecting to see an Alice Cooper film which is is not.

'Sextette' (1978) is a truly poor film, notable for the fact that it was Mae West's final movie. Alice appears in the film playing a role - a hotel porter (so no make-up!), who sings a song called 'Next, Next' (written by Van McCoy). This track is otherwise unavailable. Originally, it was planned for Alice to sing 'No Time For Tears' while Mae West cried, but didn't approve, saying "...It was a very good song, but it's a real downer. And it comes right near the end. If it was near the beginning I could overcome it, know what I mean? Leave 'em smiling. Anyway, the situation is completely wrong for Mae West. Who ever heard of Mae West crying because any man left her? They're the ones who are crying. So when he wrote a new, different number, around the idea 'Next next next', looking forward to the next man, you see? It's bright, it's up, it's right. There are enough things around to depress people, without us adding to them"". The original 'No Time For Tears' is available on the 'Life And Crimes' box set.

'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band' (1978) features Alice as the character 'Father Sun' performing The Beatles song 'Because'. At the time, Alice was in hospital recovering from alcoholism and had to get a special passout to appear in the film on the condition he returned immediately afterwards to resume treatment which he did. Also, this is one of the few public appearances of Alice sporting a mustache.

'Roadie' (1980) also featured Meatloaf and Debbie Harry. The film was inspired by the song 'Road Rats' from the album 'Lace and Whiskey' and is the story of a guy (Meatloaf) who is a real wizz at fixing things. His girlfriend wants to travel to see Alice in concert. During the film, three songs are performed - 'Pain', 'Road Rats' and a short part of 'Only Women Bleed'

'Monster Dog' and 'Prince Of Darkness' have already been mentioned in this thread. Alice appeared in a non musical role in John Carpenters 'Prince Of Darkness' and as Freddie Kruger's abusive father in 'Freddies Dead: The Final Nightmare'. 'Wayne's World' (1992) has been mentioned already. He appears very briefly for less than a minute at the start of the 1999 film 'The Attic Expeditions'. 'Suck' (2009) featured Alice, Calico, Iggy Pop and Henry Rollins. He has a cameo in the 2012 film 'Bigfoot'

Finally, Alice appears as himself in 'Dark Shadows' (with Johnny Depp), performing 'No More Mr. Nice Guy' and 'Only Women Bleed'.
For this movie, which was set in 1972, the special effects people used an effect to make Alice look younger then he obviously was when filming, and closer to the age he would have been at the time. He also wore a costume similar to that of the 1972 shows and they even hired actors to play the original band. Why didn't they invite the actual Alice Cooper Group themselves? Who knows

Part 2: Television Appearances

Alice has appeared on hundreds (thousands?) of TV shows over the years. He belongs to both the SAG and AFTRA actors associations. A full list of every TV appearance is next to impossible as he's made so many but here are some of the more important/interesting appearances he has made

'Top Of The Pops' was England's foremost music programme between the 1960's – 90's. Alice has been featured at least 20 times, either performing, on video or on record! 'Schools Out' was performed in 1972 on 13th July, 20th July, 27th July, 10th August, 17th August, 24th August, 28th December and again in July 2000. The video for 'Elected' was played in 1972 on 12th October, 19th October and 26th October and performed live in July 2000. 1973 saw a single play for the video of 'Hello Hooray', and a repeat play of 'No More Mr. Nice Guy' on 27th April and 11th May. 'Teenage Lament '74' had a single airing, being played over the closing credits on 7th February 1974. The video for 'Poison' was played in 1989 on 27th July, 3rd August, 17th August and 25th December. 'Hey Stoopid' had its video played on 27th June 1991 and 'Lost In America' was performed live on 19th May 1994

'ABC In Concert' was a live music American TV show. The first show, broadcast on November 24th, 1972, featured Curtis Mayfield, Seals & Croft, Bo Diddley, Jethro Tull and Alice Cooper. Four Alice songs were broadcast from a show at Hofsta University in Long Island, NY . The show starts with 'Eighteen' and after an advert break continues with 'Gutter Cats Vs. The Jets', 'Killer' and 'Schools Out'. However, fans in Cincinnati,didn't get to see beyond the first few minutes of Alice's violent theatrics. The owner of WKRC-TV, Lawrence H. Rogers II was so horrified by what he saw that he ordered the the show off the air immediately. Channel 12's decision to protect its viewers was responded to within minutes with a phoned-in bomb threat and several car loads of youths picketing the station. Some 4,000 letters of protest, many profane, poured in over the next few days, the biggest mail load that station officials could remember. Station manager Ro Grignon told TV Guide that he wasn't opposed to rock concerts. "In fact, we think they're going to be a smashing success. We simply found Alice Cooper a little tense."

On March 5th, 1974, Alice appeared in an episode of 'The Snoop Sisters', which stared Helen Hayes. The episode, entitled 'The Devil Made Me Do It' featured Alice played 'the Warlock, Prince' while wearing a skeleton body suit. In more recent years, one UK TV has started re-showing The Snoop Sisters, including the Alice episode, during it's daytime schedule for a few months. However sometimes they seemed to show the complete version, and other times they are showing a cut version which had part of Alice's scene cut from it.

'The Nightmare' television special from 1975 has already been mentioned in the thread

On June 6th, 1977, he appeared on 'The Tonight Show with Johnny Carlson, performing 'Lace And Whiskey' dressed in '40's gangster gear and Tommy gun with the giant chickens from the stage show.

Possibly his most famous appearance on TV was 'The Muppet Show' on November 2nd 1978 where he performed three songs – 'Welcome To My Nightmare', 'You And Me'and 'School's Out'

Alice appeared on 'The Midnight Special' on February 9th 1979, hosting the show and performing a 25 minute set based around songs taken from the 'From The Inside' album

Like this? Share it using the links below!