Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree1346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2014, 12:56 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yawn! Same old, same old from Alice, with the exception of Dirty Diamonds.

He's getting a free ride, be adventurous in your song selection for a change.
It's a supporting slot

How many support bands do most people actually go and watch?

Answer - not many. They are too busy staying in the bar, or because they have to work, and then get something to eat, travel to the show etc, they don't get there much before the headlining act arrive

Alice also feels the need to put on a show which is very theatrical, to a) compete *cough* with the headline act, and b) it's what the fans want/expect

Don't forget that most Mutley Crow fans probably only know 'Schools Out' and 'Poison', so I think it's obvious that this is going to be a 'greatest hits' set to introduce his songs to the ears of the young whippersnappers in the audience!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th July 2014, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
It's a supporting slot

How many support bands do most people actually go and watch?

Answer - not many. They are too busy staying in the bar, or because they have to work, and then get something to eat, travel to the show etc, they don't get there much before the headlining act arrive

Alice also feels the need to put on a show which is very theatrical, to a) compete *cough* with the headline act, and b) it's what the fans want/expect

Don't forget that most Mutley Crow fans probably only know 'Schools Out' and 'Poison', so I think it's obvious that this is going to be a 'greatest hits' set to introduce his songs to the ears of the young whippersnappers in the audience!
Really! Is that what you think? Rock fans aren't like that as you well know. Crue fans like Alice, Kiss, Van Halen, etc.

I doubt the fans are young whippersnappers either, most will be 30-50 i would think. The band aren't exactly cutting edge anymore and haven't been for 20 years.
Old 24th July 2014, 01:24 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Quote:
Really! Is that what you think? Rock fans aren't like that as you well know. Crue fans like Alice, Kiss, Van Halen, etc.

I doubt the fans are young whippersnappers either, most will be 30-50 i would think. The band aren't exactly cutting edge anymore and haven't been for 20 years.
I think that there are a lot of Crue fans who don't know much about Alice

Crue haven't been 'glam' since circa 1986 - between the 'Theatre of Pain' and 'Girls Girls Girls' LPs. Nowadays, they are more 'sleaze rock'

Although I have seen Nirvana, Mudhoney, Babes in Toyland, I really don't know much about the whole 'Grunge' movement. Similarly, although I might know the name 'Rammstein', Slipknot' and 'Limp Biscuit', I really don't know a lot about the music they perform

My 'formative' years were 1980 - 1990 (i.e the NWOBHM and the birth of thrash). However, because I was so narrow-minded back in those days, there are a lot of rock bands that I didn't give the time of day to, because they didn't have a 'traditional English sound', or they didn't play 'a million miles an hour'!

To be honest, during this time, I discounted Alice as a good artist for the simple reason he didn't fit in with the two examples above!

Now I have 'grown up', I am more willing to listen to different bands, but I am sure there are still people who are like the person I used to be

Oh - a lot of people like Mutley Crow because of the 'tits' - witness the Tommy-Cam segment on the 'Carnival of Sins' DVD. Alice is much more mature than that!

Old 24th July 2014, 01:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Crue haven't been 'glam' since circa 1986 - between the 'Theatre of Pain' and 'Girls Girls Girls' LPs. Nowadays, they are more 'sleaze rock'

Although I have seen Nirvana, Mudhoney, Babes in Toyland, I really don't know much about the whole 'Grunge' movement. Similarly, although I might know the name 'Rammstein', Slipknot' and 'Limp Biscuit', I really don't know a lot about the music they perform

My 'formative' years were 1980 - 1990 (i.e the NWOBHM and the birth of thrash). However, because I was so narrow-minded back in those days, there are a lot of rock bands that I didn't give the time of day to, because they didn't have a 'traditional English sound', or they didn't play 'a million miles an hour'!

To be honest, during this time, I discounted Alice as a good artist for the simple reason he didn't fit in with the two examples above!

Now I have 'grown up', I am more willing to listen to different bands, but I am sure there are still people who are like the person I used to be

Oh - a lot of people like Mutley Crow because of the 'tits' - witness the Tommy-Cam segment on the 'Carnival of Sins' DVD. Alice is much more mature than that!
Don't take this the wrong way please as it's not meant to be an insult but your use of narrow minded does seem a perfect fit. You don't like new Who because it's not old Who as an example.

Every rock fan i know has always moved with the times and music, whilst also sticking by their old favourites. Your dismissal of most things that aren't The Who or Alice does tend to work against you at times.

If people just like Crue because of the tits as you put it, then they may as well just listen to rap.

I've probably phrased it all very badly, but absolutely no insult is intended Suzi.
Old 24th July 2014, 01:46 PM
Active Cultist

I'd say more youngsters would be aware of Alice than Crue. Alice has been consistently in Kerrang and Metal Hammer over the past few years (not to mention regular headline tours with well-attended dates and festival shows), whereas Motley Crue really only had a re-surge in interest thanks to Kat Von D and Bam Margera - both of whom have gone out of fashion now.
As for Crue fans not knowing any Alice stuff - I completely disagree. I'm with Demdike on this one. Don't forget that Crue recently toured with KISS in the States.
If anything, it's likely that Alice has the support slot rather than the headline slot purely because it's meant to be Crue's farewell tour. They've taken headline place for that reason, and chosen Alice as support as it'll bring a larger crowd. If it was Motley Crue with some random band of a similar genre, they'd struggle to fill the venues.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th July 2014, 01:49 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way please as it's not meant to be an insult but your use of narrow minded does seem a perfect fit
No offense taken, because I admit that I was very narrow-minded back in the day. However, age has now taken it's toll, and I am more than happy to hold my hands up and admit that I was wrong - oh, the innocence of youth!

Quote:
You don't like new Who because it's not old Who as an example.
I do like Nu-Who, but I don't think it's as good as Classic-Who. It used to be about good story telling, and now it is about big budget SFX, and 'who-can-we-get-for-the-celebrity-guest-star-this-week'!

Quote:
Every rock fan i know has always moved with the times and music, whilst also sticking by their old favourites. Your dismissal of most things that aren't The Who or Alice does tend to work against you at times
As stated above, I HAVE moved on. There was a time when I was not a fan of Alice, and I didn't like The Who - they were a MOD band, and I was a rocker! Blame school peer-pressure (I was the only rocker in a school full of MODS and skinheads, so I wouldn't like their music on principal). Again, I am more than willing to admit that I was wrong with this attitude. Nowadays, the music I do not listen to are than bands I loved during the 80's - Bathory, Venom, Possessed, Celtic Frost etc

Quote:
If people just like Crue because of the tits as you put it, then they may as well just listen to rap.
And I'm sure they do, the same way that some metalheads like rap - Faith No More, Beastie Boys, Run DMC etc

Quote:
I've probably phrased it all very badly, but absolutely no insult is intended Suzi.
As I mentioned, none taken

Incidentally, I used to be a big fan of the Crow. I have the 'Too Fast For Love' vinyl release (on the original Leathür Records label), the original gatefold release of 'Shout At The Devil', Theatre of Pain, Girls, Girls, Girls and Dr. Feelgood and the aforementioned 'Carnival of Sins' DVD

Old 24th July 2014, 01:52 PM
Active Cultist

I'd also disagree with people only liking Crue for the tits - we live in a world where the internet is a thing, and it is a thing that is full of tits and more. You don't have to go to a concert to see breasts anymore. (In fact, that sort of thing is probably dying out now. I haven't seen concert-knockers in probably 10 years!)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th July 2014, 01:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Well, seeing as it's only Suze, Applecore and i who have posted anything on the forum in the last three hours i think we should all chill out on the porch with a cold beer and watch the tumbleweeds roll by on the rest of the forum.
Old 24th July 2014, 02:05 PM
Active Cultist

Haha, well it's just past midnight here so I'll be soon logging off for the night anyway!
Old 24th July 2014, 03:21 PM
Cult Rookie

I've seen Alice live once, it was a great show.
Veary theatrical.
He cut his head off with a guillotine and stabbed a baby with a sword during Billion Doller Babies.

Generation Landslide, Hard Hearted Alice, I Better Be Good, Is It My Body,
and any thing off of Killers, Goes To Hell and Welcome To My Nightmare
are among my plethora of favorites.

Last edited by jhippyfro; 24th July 2014 at 03:43 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!