Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   The Alice Cooper Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/11713-alice-cooper-thread.html)

Justin101 15th November 2017 05:54 PM

I’m 40 and among the youngest here haha...

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th November 2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 557485)
I’m 40 and among the youngest here haha...

I wonder if it's a sell out? It wasn't when i saw him. I was standing for that but the whole back seated area was curtained off. That was 2002. Shit! Fifteen years ago. :scared:

Justin101 15th November 2017 06:41 PM

The whole top tier is curtained off, I don’t think it was ever on sale.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th November 2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 557489)
The whole top tier is curtained off, I don’t think it was ever on sale.

Alice is one of those acts that's too big for halls and Apollos but not big enough for full arenas.

Enjoy the show, Justin. :rockon:

Rik 15th November 2017 07:16 PM

My guitarist Vicar mate and his bass playing Doctor wife are there tonight, he was telling me about it the other night

Susan Foreman 16th November 2017 12:14 PM

Review: Alice Cooper at Manchester Arena - Dianne Bourne - Manchester Evening News although Ms. Bourne doesn't seem to know her music history: "His resurrection is then allowed to spectacularly come alive alongside his original band members, back with Alice on stage for this tour for the first time since the late 1970s, for the final section of the show which notches up several more decibels and is a true thrill for fans."

By my reckoning, the last time the original band played on stage together was actually 6th April, 1974 in Rio De Janeiro!

Justin101 16th November 2017 04:10 PM

For those interested, Alice's setlist is clearly set in stone as it's a rehearsed show, but other sets were as follows in Manchester;

The Tubes

She's a Beauty
TV Is King
Mr. Hate
Amnesia
Life
Prime Time
Love's a Mystery
White Punks on Dope
Talk to Ya Later

The Mission

Tower of Strength
Beyond the Pale
Like a Hurricane
Severina
Like a Child Again
Butterfly on a Wheel
Met-Amor-Phosis
Wasteland
Deliverance

I've never heard The Tubes before and I was pleasantly surprised and have become a fan, new wave punk(ish) rock, reminded me of Talking Heads.

The Mission were fantastic, the drummer was a bit of an animal and brought loads of weight to the songs which on album are a bit jangley (put it this way, you can tell that Hussey was a lead songwriter on the debut Sisters album). Opener Tower of Strength was preceded by a Lisa Gerrard vocal loop and drum machine combo fading into the extended album version intro.

Alice Cooper was everything I expected he would be, really polished and slick show. The end of Feed My Frankenstein made me laugh, I'm not sure if the's done this skit in the past but after he goes into the 'Frankenstein' prop he vanishes and comes back as a giant Frankenstein Monster and continues singing the song in a lower 'monster' register, got everyone laughing which makes me think it was a new bit. Nina Strauss blew me away, her guitar solo into the Poison intro was well played. The drummer, I don't know his name was also a beast, his drum solo in the middle of Halo of Flies was awe inspiring.

For the encore and the original group section, they got me all excited playing the introduction to Hello, Hooray but segued straight into Muscle of Love which was my highlight of that 2nd set! Excellent fun, deserves all of those glowing press reviews he's getting.

Susan Foreman 16th November 2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 557558)
For those interested, Alice's setlist is clearly set in stone as it's a rehearsed show, but other sets were as follows in Manchester;

The Tubes

She's a Beauty
TV Is King
Mr. Hate
Amnesia
Life
Prime Time
Love's a Mystery
White Punks on Dope
Talk to Ya Later

I've never heard The Tubes before and I was pleasantly surprised and have become a fan, new wave punk(ish) rock, reminded me of Talking Heads

The Tubes are a long running band that pre-date The Sex Pistols. Their self-titled debut album came out in 1975, and contained their best known song (and first single) 'White Punks On Dope', which was later covered by Motley Crue on their 'New Tattoo' album in 2000. In 1978 they headlined the Knebworth Festival, with special guest Dolly Parton, Frank Zappa and Peter Gabriel. They were also banned from playing in Portsmouth!!

Quote:

Alice Cooper was everything I expected he would be, really polished and slick show. The end of Feed My Frankenstein made me laugh, I'm not sure if the's done this skit in the past but after he goes into the 'Frankenstein' prop he vanishes and comes back as a giant Frankenstein Monster and continues singing the song in a lower 'monster' register

The FrankenAlice first appeared during the third leg of the 'Theatre Of Death' tour, on June 19th, 2010 at the Hellfest in France. It has been a mainstay of the show on every tour since then. (Personally, I think they should retire it for a bit, or give it a make-over - bring back the cyclops!). It did have a change of image at the Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee on June 9th, 2012, when it was dressed in drag, and made its entrance when Alice did a reworked cover of Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way'.

Quote:

Nina Strauss blew me away, her guitar solo into the Poison intro was well played. The drummer, I don't know his name was also a beast, his drum solo in the middle of Halo of Flies was awe inspiring

The current touring band is:
Chuck Garrick - Bass
Ryan Roxie - Guitar
Nita Strauss - Guitar
Tommy Henrickson - Guitar
Glen Sobel - Drums

Susan Foreman 18th November 2017 03:45 AM

More reviews from the tour, and all agree that it was a great show, and Alice is still the master of the macabre

https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/...trip=all&w=960

Gig review: Alice Cooper at First Direct Arena, Leeds - Yorkshire Evening Post

Alice Cooper, Arena Birmingham - review and pictures | Birmingham Express And Star

REVIEW: Alice Cooper, Manchester Arena | Lancashire Telegraph

Alice Cooper reunites his original band on his Paranormal arena tour: Wembley | The Sun

The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show - radio show with a review from 8 year old Chloe O'Donovan from one of the Dublin shows. Fast forward to about the 16 minute mark

From what I am hearing, the Wembley show was filmed (although this is from fans - there has been no official word as yet. Watch this space)

Justin101 18th November 2017 07:02 AM

It would make sense to film it for a dvd, specifically in the uk with the exclusive mini set from the original band!