Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree1346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2018, 01:36 PM
Cult Master

Apparently the Vampires are using 'Bela Lugosi's Dead' by Bauhaus and the Christopher Lee narrated 'The Last Vampire' as their intro tape

They have also included '7 And 7 Is' to the set, played between 'I Got A Spell On You' and 'My Dead Drunk Friends'. This song was originally recorded by the band Love in 1966 and later covered by Alice on the 'Special Forces' album in 1981
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd May 2018, 05:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It seems that these days you need an onstage announcement (a la Marillion) to remind people to actually live their moments and enjoy the show.

It must be serendipity... I just got a pre-sale link for Jack White and near the bottom had this passage

IMG_0658.JPG

It seems your phone gets put into a security sealed pouch which you can get unlocked when you leave the show and it’s part of the terms and conditions of being an audience member, while a little extreme I can’t think of any other way to prevent it!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd May 2018, 05:46 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It must be serendipity... I just got a pre-sale link for Jack White and near the bottom had this passage

Attachment 204795

It seems your phone gets put into a security sealed pouch which you can get unlocked when you leave the show and it’s part of the terms and conditions of being an audience member, while a little extreme I can’t think of any other way to prevent it!
For the 'Before The Dawn' series of concerts at Hammersmith in 2014, Kate Bush just politely asked people not to use their phones to take pictures or record the show

She said: "I have a request for all of you who are coming to the shows. We have purposefully chosen an intimate theatre setting rather than a large venue or stadium. It would mean a great deal to me if you would please refrain from taking photos or filming during the shows.

"I very much want to have contact with you as an audience, not with iPhones, iPads or cameras. I know it's a lot to ask but it would allow us to all share in the experience together.""

People complied!
Justin101 likes this.

Old 23rd May 2018, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
For the 'Before The Dawn' series of concerts at Hammersmith in 2014, Kate Bush just politely asked people not to use their phones to take pictures or record the show

She said: "I have a request for all of you who are coming to the shows. We have purposefully chosen an intimate theatre setting rather than a large venue or stadium. It would mean a great deal to me if you would please refrain from taking photos or filming during the shows.

"I very much want to have contact with you as an audience, not with iPhones, iPads or cameras. I know it's a lot to ask but it would allow us to all share in the experience together.""

People complied!
I'd walk into the fire if Kate asked me to
Susan Foreman and nosferatu42 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd May 2018, 06:48 PM
Cult Master

Hollywood Vampires Review: May 21st, Bethlehem Center, Pennsylvania

Hollywood Vampires find new life at Sands Bethlehem Event Center | The Morning Call

Old 28th May 2018, 08:21 AM
Cult Master

The Metro has an interview with Alice about The Vampires

"WHEN you have a side project with a group of friends, you really have to plan ahead because pesky day jobs always get in the way. When your pal happens to be Johnny Depp (one third of rock band the Hollywood Vampires, alongside shock rocker Alice Cooper and Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry), schedules get complicated.

‘It’s a very odd thing for all of us to be off tour at the same time,’ says Alice. ‘Johnny’s either making a movie or Joe’s with Aerosmith and I’m with my band. We had to carve out this time like a year in advance in order to honour everybody’s schedule. Johnny had to do five movies last year, just so he could take off enough time to work on the album and go on tour.’

The Hollywood Vampires is all about honouring ‘dead, drunk friends’. The idea originated in the 1970s in the Rainbow Bar & Grill on Los Angeles’s Sunset Strip. The upstairs bar was frequented by hedonists such as Jim Morrison, Keith Moon and Jimi Hendrix, and to join the club you simply had to outdrink the existing members. What could go wrong?

The lifestyle took its toll on dozens of stars, and today’s Hollywood Vampires’ setlists comprise cover versions of their music, as well as a few tracks that Alice, Johnny and Joe have written themselves, including one called My Dead Drunk Friends, which includes the lines: ‘We drink and we fight/and we fight and we puke/and we puke and we fight and we drink/we drink and we puke/and we fight and we puke/and then we die.’

Alice laughs: ‘One of my friends said, “Hey, you guys never do any of my songs,” and I go. “You really don’t want us to. You don’t want to be in the group: they have one thing in common that you don’t want to have in common with them.”’

Alice’s onstage persona terrified middle America and beyond in the mid-1970s, thanks to a clever cocktail of nightmarish make-up and urban myths (he never killed a chicken at a concert but let the rumour flourish because the publicity was dynamite).

In reality, the man behind songs such as School’s Out, Poison and Only Women Bleed is an avuncular, clean-living, golf-loving, family man who probably has an assiduous skincare regime. Asked whether he has any regrets, he says: ‘You would think that the alcoholism would be something I would have avoided and yet, in a lot of ways, it shaped me. But I haven’t had a drink or any drugs in 37 years now. I’m 70 now and I’m never tired. Everybody calls me the Energizer bunny.’

Given that alcohol may have played a large role in Johnny Depp’s problems (including allegations of domestic violence), does it question the band’s celebratory approach to legendary boozers? Alice leaps to his friend’s defence.

‘I know Johnny pretty well,’ he says. ‘When I read all the stuff I go, “Wow, this is such bull.” He’s the sweetest person you’ll ever meet in your life. There’s not a mean bone in the guy’s body.’

He’s also full of praise for the actor’s musical abilities. ‘He can play with anybody. If you throw a lead at him he’ll throw it right back at you. He originally went to Hollywood to be a guitar player and became an actor by accident. Some director saw him and said, “Hey we want you to do this film,” and he said, “Yeah, I’ll do it for a bit to support my band,” and ended up being one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood.

‘He’s also the most humble guy I’ve ever seen. I’m the one who makes him stand up in front on stage, and when he says, “I don’t wanna sing that song — I can’t sing,” I say: “You did Sweeney Todd!” and he says, “Oh, right. I did.”’

Alice is also very good-natured when people repeat the ‘We’re not worthy’ line immortalised by Wayne’s World to him. ‘I always try to pretend that nobody’s ever done that. Like, “Oh, how clever.” I’ve just had dinner with (Wayne’s World star and creator) Mike Myers. I see him all the time. He said, “I could have stuck you with something much worse than that.”’ And you can’t argue with that."

In other news

There is a new limited edition deluxe book by Martin Popoff entitle 'Welcome To My Nightmare: Fifty Years of Alice Cooper' due to be released on August 18th directly from publisher WymerUK only - £59.99

The press release reads:

"This large format tome from Martin Popoff is an easy to read book utilising his celebrated timeline with quotes methodology, allowing for drop-ins on all aspects of Alice’s busy life. The author has made use of his extensive archive of interviews with Alice and the band as well as producers, designers and even The Amazing Randi, world-renowned magician and inventor of Alice’s legendary guillotine prop. 'Welcome To My Nightmare' is an immense addition to Alice Cooper scholarship. Alice Cooper was one of the biggest concert draws in the seventies with a string of gold and platinum albums to his name. Alice continued to shake pop consciousness with 'Welcome to My Nightmare' and a string of hit ballads. He appeared regularly on TV and talk shows. Following a debilitating drug and alcohol addiction and subsequent notorious dark period in the early eighties which is addressed in the book, Alice returned to gold and platinum status with albums like 'Trash' and 'Hey Stoopid', featuring smash singles “Poison” and “Feed My Frankenstein.” He’s never stopped touring and being a multi-media whirlwind since - Alice, with his pioneering use of facepaint, remains one of the most famous faces in America. The key here is the rich content Popoff brings to the project. 'Welcome To My Nightmare' is sure to impress the Alice expert and novice alike, with new revelations and interviews turning up page after page.

Fully illustrated throughout with many unpublished photos this is the largest and most comprehensive Alice Cooper book ever published."

Old 30th May 2018, 06:33 AM
Cult Master

The Vampires have just started the Russian leg of their tour, and a new song has been added to the setlist

A cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'Stop Messin' Around', sung by Joe Perry, is now the first encore (before 'School's Out')

Other than that, the set remains the same

Old 9th June 2018, 08:07 AM
Cult Master

Alice and Joe Perry on stage at the Liseberg Stora Scenen Amusement Park in Gröna Lund, Stockholm on June 7th

Justin101 likes this.

Old 17th June 2018, 05:05 AM
Cult Master

The Hollywood Vampires have just started their short UK tour, with a show last night (June 16th) at Brimingham's Genting Arena

In a mistake of planning, first band up were the elder statesmen of punk The Damned, who are a lot closer in attitude and legendary status to the headliners than The Darkness are. Anyway, their setlist consisted of
  • Street of Dreams
  • Neat Neat Neat
  • Wait for the Blackout
  • Standing on the Edge of Tomorrow
  • Ignite
  • Love Song
  • Eloise
  • New Rose
  • Smash It Up

Next were The Darkness, who played
  • Solid Gold
  • Growing on Me
  • Love Is Only a Feeling
  • Japanese Prisoner of Love
  • One Way Ticket
  • Barbarian
  • Buccaneers of Hispaniola
  • Get Your Hands Off My Woman
  • I Believe in a Thing Called Love

The Vampires were The Vampires - a gimmick bar band with two legends and an over-rated film star! Mind you, it was good to notice that Alice got a much bigger cheer than Johnny Depp did at the beginning of the show when coming on stage. Their setlist was pretty much unchanged from the beginning of the tour:
  • I Want My Now
  • Raise the Dead
  • I Got a Line on You
  • 7 and 7 Is
  • My Dead Drunk Friends
  • Five to One / Break On Through (to the Other Side)
  • The Jack
  • Ace of Spades
  • Baba O'Riley
  • As Bad As I Am
  • The Boogieman Surprise
  • I'm Eighteen
  • Combination
  • People Who Died
  • Sweet Emotion
  • Bushwackers
  • "Heroes"
  • All the Young Dudes
  • Train Kept A-Rollin'
  • School's Out/Another Brick In The Wall

The only real surprise was the inclusion of the Mott The Hoople song 'All The Young Dudes' featuring a guest appearance by the bands original singer and guitarist Ian 'Unter. I'm not sure if he will be appearing at the shows in Manchester, Glasgow and London, or whether they will get their own special guests

bleakshaun likes this.

Old 18th June 2018, 04:58 AM
Cult Master

It doesn't look like there were any special guests in Manchester (June 17th), so the set was the same as Birmingham, but without 'All The Young Dudes'

Reviews for the Birmingham show and like those for the Alice solo concerts, they are all gushing!
Hollywood Vampires and The Darkness, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review and pictures | Express And Star "A fangtastic evening, filled with bloody top-class talent and a-list stars - and one for fans to remember."

Hollywood Vampires at Genting Arena - Johnny Depp, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry rocked - review and set list | Birmingham Mail "It was edgy, electric, exciting – uplifting – and amazing."

Gig Junkies Blog Archive Hollywood Vampires at Genting Arena, Birmingham, UK – 16th June 2018 "As a gig reviewer, we often use cliches and superlatives with gay abandon whilst caught up in the moment, but then upon reflection we accept that we may have been a little over zealous in our plaudits. Well, hand on heart, cross my heart and hope to die, this concert by the Hollywood Vampires knocked the proverbial socks off every single spectator. Truly amazing."

Like this? Share it using the links below!