Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree4569Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2019, 04:08 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

220px-Album_cover_for_Viktoria_(Marduk_album).jpeg

2018 saw the return of Marduk with there follow up to 2015s Frontschwein with new album Viktoria. This is another solid album from Marduk you get exactly what you expect every time with just enough new little tweaks to stop the feeling that they are just re releasing the same album over and over again.

At just over 30 minutes its short sweet and too the point they could go down the safe route and just pummel the listener with blast beats and speed but there are some slow down in certain songs and dare I say even some melodic parts. But these down moments seem to bring with them a lot of criticism from some fans calling the album boring and meh. For me it brings variety I don't want to just listen to blast beats non stop for an entire album so I really appreciate the slower moments. Marduk fans and fans of Black Metal in general need to stop comparing everything to one album from the past with Marduk its Panzer Division Marduk which came out 20 years ago.

A really solid albums with some highs and lows but refreshing to see they are not afraid to take a few small risks and as small as they are with such a rabid fan base this are still major risks.

7/10
Old 13th January 2019, 04:32 PM
Cult Master

a2842946896_2.jpg

Devoid of Light is the debut album from US Black Metal band UADA often compared to Poland's MGLA which is more for their onstage image rather than their music if you ask me. This is pretty unfair because these guys more than deserve to be recognised as a real up and coming powerhouse of Black Metal.

With only 5 songs over the 33 minute run time there is so much going on with changes indirection in each song that it never gets boring but don't be fooled they are not packing this all in to each song for the sake of it its never overwhelming or confusing everything is done with focus and purpose. Once again there is no reliance on blast beats and there are plenty of diversity with the drums . The vocal range on this album blows me away from gut wrenching screams to howls of a tortured spirit from Beyound the grave its really is a thing of beauty.

Sadly US Black Metal still doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves I mean who cares where its from as long as its from the heart.

8/10
Justin101 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 13th January 2019, 04:51 PM
Cult Master

Aura-Noir-Aura-Noire-LP-67812-1.jpg

Aura Noir have always been one of my favourite bands they just don't mess about its just a straight forward Black Trash Metal attack on your body.

This new albums keeps that trend alive fantastic riffs and brutal vocals that sound just like Tom G Warrior but a little faster. I talked about bands not releasing the same album over and over again but sometimes that's not a bad thing when you will be too busy banging your head and pumping yourself full of alcohol and generally having a good time to even notice. Sometimes change is good but in this case it could be a bad thing and ruin what this band is all about. Straight in your face metal that's doesn't need to be complicated

8/10
Old 14th January 2019, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm probably going to buy this CD, thanks Demdike
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th January 2019, 06:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just ordered Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen cd/dvd album... Can't wait.

This track is f*cking AWESOME!!!

Justin101 likes this.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:03 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just ordered Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen cd/dvd album... Can't wait.

Did you just grab one from MM for a fiver I just clicked on it and it said Ooops somebody has just bought the last one!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th January 2019, 07:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Did you just grab one from MM for a fiver I just clicked on it and it said Ooops somebody has just bought the last one!
I did, yes, not ten minutes ago.

That Ooops thing usually happens to me when i want to order something.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:06 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

A great choice have you picked up the new album ?
Justin101 likes this.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
A great choice have you picked up the new album ?
No. To be honest i only have a dvd of theirs at the moment. I used to own two of their early ones but sold them to a mate. I kinda regret that now. Journey's End and Rama (Was it called - had a Pagan circle on the cover?)
Old 16th January 2019, 07:17 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
No. To be honest i only have a dvd of theirs at the moment. I used to own two of their early ones but sold them to a mate. I kinda regret that now. Journey's End and Rama (Was it called - had a Pagan circle on the cover?)
Imrama great record their later records just keep getting better and better. When I saw them for the first time last year they just raised themselves to a different level for me always have been one of my favourite bands but witnessing them live with like some out of body experience their performance had so much passion it was really breathtaking. The amount of bottles of red wine Alan drank onstage I was shocked he could remember the words let alone perform to such an amazing standard he may aswell of been drinking bottles of water😄😄😄

Like this? Share it using the links below!