Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   EXTREME METAL (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/12356-extreme-metal.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th July 2021 10:52 PM

Anacrusis - Twisted Cross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI-lPWeugEY

Suffering Hour (1988)

Susan Foreman 27th July 2021 11:31 AM

RIP Mike Howe, vocalist with Metal Church (1988–1996, 2015–2021)

Nordicdusk 27th July 2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656620)
Anacrusis - Twisted Cross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI-lPWeugEY

Suffering Hour (1988)

Love that album cover.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 656640)
RIP Mike Howe, vocalist with Metal Church (1988–1996, 2015–2021)

Terrible news. Blessing in Disguise is one of my favourite albums from the 80's. It's even worse that Howe was back with the band still recording and touring.

On a side note. For those not in the know. Metal Church are about as 'extreme' as Dio and Queensryche.

Susan Foreman 27th July 2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656648)
On a side note. For those not in the know. Metal Church are about as 'extreme' as Dio and Queensryche.

But historically, in the 80's when the albums 'Metal Church,' 'The Dark' and 'Blessing in Disguise' were released, they were part of the second wave of Thrash metal, alongside banks such as Testament, Exodus, Overkill and Vio-Lence

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 656655)
But historically, in the 80's when the albums 'Metal Church,' 'The Dark' and 'Blessing in Disguise' were released, they were part of the second wave of Thrash metal, alongside banks such as Testament, Exodus, Overkill and Vio-Lence

Of those you mentioned above Testament (First album 1987) and Vio-Lence (1988) were second wave.

Overkill (1st album 1985), Exodus (1985) and Metal Church (1984) were definitely first wave along with Slayer (1983).

Just saying. :lol:

Susan Foreman 27th July 2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 656655)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656656)
Of those you mentioned above Testament (First album 1987) and Vio-Lence (1988) were second wave.

Overkill (1st album 1985), Exodus (1985) and Metal Church (1984) were definitely first wave along with Slayer (1983)

As I have noted previously on this thread, back in the day, there was no such thing as 'thrash metal'. It was all heavy metal, which covered everything from Marillion to Venom

Taking 1983 as 'year zero'. the 'big four' of Thrash were were 'Tallica, Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer

Being pedantic (which is something I hate doing), the 'first wave' of thrash bands that were inspired by them included Death Angel, Destruction, Annihilator, Exciter, Exodus, Kreator, Vio-lence, Possessed, Raven, Sabbat, Onslaught, Testament (who are arguable the fifth band in the big four), Sacred Reich, Sanctity, Tankard, Xentrix

By the time we get to the mid 80's, thrash no longer existed - instead it had splintered into various sub-genres including Black Metal, Speed Metal, Death Metal, Doom Metal, Stoner Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, Sooty Metal, Bag of Chips Metal, Binky Metal not forgetting Uncle Tom Cobley and All Metal!

But at the end of the day, it is all hard rock music and should stand proudly alongside Led Zeppelin, Motorhead, The Who, The Kinks, Iron Maiden etc

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 656659)
As I have noted previously on this thread, back in the day, there was no such thing as 'thrash metal'. It was all heavy metal, which covered everything from Marillion to Venom

Taking 1983 as 'year zero'. the 'big four' of Thrash were were 'Tallica, Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer

Being pedantic (which is something I both love and excel at, in fact it's second only to cutting and pasting), the 'first wave' of thrash bands that were inspired by them included Death Angel, Destruction, Annihilator, Exciter, Exodus, Kreator, Vio-lence, Possessed, Raven, Sabbat, Onslaught, Testament (who are arguable the fifth band in the big four), Sacred Reich, Sanctity, Tankard, Xentrix

By the time we get to the mid 80's, thrash no longer existed - instead it had splintered into various sub-genres including Black Metal, Speed Metal, Death Metal, Doom Metal, Stoner Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, Sooty Metal, Bag of Chips Metal, Binky Metal not forgetting Uncle Tom Cobley and All Metal!

But at the end of the day, it is all hard rock music and should stand proudly alongside Led Zeppelin, Motorhead, The Who, The Kinks, Iron Maiden etc

Just changed a couple of words. :pound:

Susan Foreman 27th July 2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 656667)
Just changed a couple of words. :pound:

If I was pedantic, I would state that 12 is hardly a ''couple of words"!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th July 2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 656672)
Being pedantic, I would hardly call 12 a ''couple of words"!

Haha... Brilliant!

You win! :clap: :lol: